Go Toyota - $10K Truck

Toyaddict

I imagine it wouldn’t be possible to import one from Mexico for off-road use? People are spending 10k+ for Kei trucks that were built pre y2k.
Another thought I had is maybe this will keep some of the older toy pickups in the US from being sent south, although 10k gets you 3-4 decent 80s/90s yotas for the journey.

Last edited:

Moyshe Kapoyer

That will never fly in the US, crash test standards and emmissions standards will gernade that.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
I imagine it wouldn’t be possible to import one from Mexico for off-road use?
Not many people have a use for a pickup truck that can't be driven on the road! I would absolutely buy one of these even if it cost a lot more. It's basically a stripped down Hilux single cab chassis and drivetrain. Heck, it even has ABS and air bags, so I don't know what the government is saving us from by denying registration. Preserving profits, mostly...

img-jms-0070-654906f129eaf.jpg

rruff

Explorer
The true test of worthiness will be if terrorists in the middle east start mounting machine guns to the rear deck
I'd put the odds of that at around 99.9%...

While looking for (and failing to find) a hilarious "oh what a feeling!" video featuring terrorists and Toyotas, I came across this video regarding Chad's war against Libya in 1987, in which Chad deftly destroyed Libya's far more expensive tanks and weapons, using Toyota Hiluxes, mounted with guided weapons. I learned a few things...

Like if you drive >60 mph across land mines they will either fail to detonate, or they will harmlessly detonate after you are past. Don't try this at home kids! This issue may have been rectified... YMMV.

Toyaddict

Not many people have a use for a pickup truck that can't be driven on the road! I would absolutely buy one of these even if it cost a lot more. It's basically a stripped down Hilux single cab chassis and drivetrain. Heck, it even has ABS and air bags, so I don't know what the government is saving us from by denying registration. Preserving profits, mostly...
Just exploring possibilities, I have a kei truck and f150 that don’t touch the road. 10k for that truck sounds better than 22k for a new daihatsu hijet that also isn’t road legal.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
I don't know what the government is saving us from by denying registration. Preserving profits, mostly...

Biggest obstacle for registration I see is lack of garbage "nanny" add-ons required for NHTSA, i.e. crumple zones, back-up cameras (which have hardly shown to reduce children getting run over or reverse collisions), lane departure, obstacle avoidance, and other equally useless requirements that have added many, many thousands of dollars to the cost of already overpriced new vehicles!! Absolutely ignorant "feelgood, nanny state" crap.

Last edited:

borison

Adventurer
Biggest obstacle for registration I see is lack of garbage "nanny" add-ons required for NHTSA, i.e. crumple zones, back-up cameras (which have hardly shown to reduce children getting run over or reverse collisions), lane departure, obstacle avoidance, and other equally useless requirements that have added many, many thousands of dollars to the cost of already overpriced new vehicles!! Absolutely ignorant "feelgood, nanny state" crap.
Funny to read this, I was just wondering last week, how many children back up cameras would have to save before the auto companies could break even on the technology. Well yesterday morning my neighbors little kid was playing behind his old truck (no back up camera) as he went to back out and he totally crushed him dead. There’s probably a lot less evidence for accidents they avoid than for vehicles with no back-up cams that are involved in fatalities, but idk.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Funny to read this, I was just wondering last week, how many children back up cameras would have to save before the auto companies could break even on the technology. Well yesterday morning my neighbors little kid was playing behind his old truck (no back up camera) as he went to back out and he totally crushed him dead. There’s probably a lot less evidence for accidents they avoid than for vehicles with no back-up cams that are involved in fatalities, but idk.

One study I read said that backup cameras reduced child deaths from backover incidents by 18%, not sure how the number isn't above 75%?

The technology is readily available yet humans are complacent and ignore the cameras same as they do the rearview mirror, technology can't replace common sense and humans prove daily that common sense is a dying trait. As proven by your neighbor.

Requiring the inclusion of backup cameras to all new vehicles simply added another large expense to the cost of those vehicles, some states are now looking to add breathalyzers to the required equipment of new vehicles, how much is that going to add to the cost of new vehicles?

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
One study I read said that backup cameras reduced child deaths from backover incidents by 18%, not sure how the number isn't above 75%?

The technology is readily available yet humans are complacent and ignore the cameras same as they do the rearview mirror, technology can't replace common sense and humans prove daily that common sense is a dying trait. As proven by your neighbor.

Requiring the inclusion of backup cameras to all new vehicles simply added another large expense to the cost of those vehicles, some states are now looking to add breathalyzers to the required equipment of new vehicles, how much is that going to add to the cost of new vehicles?
I don’t drink and drive- rarely ever have a drink, but I’ll be keeping old vehicles on the road before I buy one with a breathalyzer. If they can do that they could also turn it off for you not having the right social score…

85_Ranger4x4

Scares the crap out of me with my ranger. My propane tank is right behind where I park my long wb f-150... so I use the camera daily to avoid rearranging the landscape.

Then I hop into my little 85 that turns on a dime with no camera... and all I can really do is hope nobody sneaked out of the house on me.

rruff

Explorer
Because as the hoods on trucks and SUVs keep getting taller, we are running over more kids from the front... :unsure: Which reminds me... I need to get one or two cameras for the front so I can see what my tires are running over when offroad...

If you can't see behind your vehicle, backup cameras are very nice. They are cheap, too. Airbags not so much. Plus the safer it is to slam into things, the more we slam into things. Not kidding, it's true! Well, it's true for those other people, not me... :ROFLMAO:

I wish the government would stop trying to keep me safe, and then forcing me to pay for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior