Goal Zero Yeti 400 VS KaliPAK 601

Kalisaya Power

Supporting Sponsor
It's the same thing as the GoalZero Yeti just no established track record and more expensive, lots of people find the Yeti useful.

Does the charge controller on the ArkPak support lithium batteries? I didn't think it did

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Its not the same thing as the Goal Zero Yeti ( Lead Acid battery). Goal Zero just launched a Lithium version of the Yeti family thats more in line with the KaliPAK features. Its less expensive in price, but it does not include a Solar Panel. The KaliPAK includes a 40-watt solar panel. Also, we have been around for only 6 months and have received over 20 5 star reviews. Goal Zero Yeti ( lead acid) been around since 2009. It is definitely a viable product. My intent of this post was to show this group of savvy adventurers a simple compare and contrast model.

Thanks
Bob
Kalisayapower.com

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
Its not the same thing as the Goal Zero Yeti ( Lead Acid battery). Goal Zero just launched a Lithium version of the Yeti family thats more in line with the KaliPAK features. Its less expensive in price, but it does not include a Solar Panel. The KaliPAK includes a 40-watt solar panel. Also, we have been around for only 6 months and have received over 20 5 star reviews. Goal Zero Yeti ( lead acid) been around since 2009. It is definitely a viable product. My intent of this post was to show this group of savvy adventurers a simple compare and contrast model.

Thanks
Bob
Kalisayapower.com

yeah i literally linked to the lithium Yeti in this thread because you used the lead acid yeti which is not a good comparison

the lithium yeti is $100 less than your setup, for $100 you can buy a 100 watt panel

mellorrob

With my yeti 400 (old lead acid model) and a 100 watt panel I can run my ARB 50 and camp indefinitely with good sun. There's no way a 40 watt panel could keep up with my ARB.

Steve F

Adventurer
With my yeti 400 (old lead acid model) and a 100 watt panel I can run my ARB 50 and camp indefinitely with good sun. There's no way a 40 watt panel could keep up with my ARB.

Good sun is the thing, a day of cloud, or even half a day and the 38AH battery won't get a full charge (the 40W panel isn't helping) and the fridge won't make it through the night, personally I think 60 or 70ah is the minimum with a panel (80w or bigger) that can put more in than a running fridge takes out. I run 240W of Solar and 105ah battery with a 50lt Waeco fridge and even then I need some sun after a couple of days. When it does come out though 240W puts in around 10-12A reliably an hour so brings the battery back up pretty quick ready for the next day/night.

I'm sure lots of people have a use for them but for the price I'd just go for a drive to recharge devices ;)

Cheers
Steve

moabian

Do they have a smaller case? I imagine the 100ah lithium is much smaller than a 100ah group31 battery. That's a pretty food setup with a smaller battery

The Battle Born battery is 6.875 wide x 12.75 Long x 9 high. It should fit snugly in the ArkPak (7.08 wide x 12.99 long x 9.37 high I.D.)

e60ral

How is that only 100ah? That's group 31 size and you can get plenty of group 31 agm batteries with more than 100ah

moabian

How is that only 100ah? That's group 31 size and you can get plenty of group 31 agm batteries with more than 100ah

Perhaps...if you want to lug around 2-3X the weight. I'm not here to compare standard batteries to Lithium. There are other threads for that. For my purposes, the advantages of Lithium in the portable ArkPak far outweigh (no pun intended) standard batteries.

e60ral

Perhaps...if you want to lug around 2-3X the weight. I'm not here to compare standard batteries to Lithium. There are other threads for that. For my purposes, the advantages of Lithium in the portable ArkPak far outweigh (no pun intended) standard batteries.
What does it weigh? Is the extra space load leveling circuits or something?

rkfoote

yeah i literally linked to the lithium Yeti in this thread because you used the lead acid yeti which is not a good comparison

the lithium yeti is $100 less than your setup, for $100 you can buy a 100 watt panel

Heck, lets go the other way with it. Goal Zero doesn't really advertise it, but they have the Yeti Lithium 1000 (I believe it's only available at Costco). 1000 Watt/hr in stock at my local Costco for $999. Includes a 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter (3kw surge) (and 12v and USB). So 2x capacity of the kali and an inverter for 20% more? Means I could likely continue to run my fridge on some overcast days. No solar included, but the built in controller will handle up to 300 watts of solar.

Here is their unadvertised link: http://www.goalzero.com/costco/

rkfoote

Sorry, only 240 watts of solar. Here is the costco link: https://www.costco.com/Goal-Zero-Yeti-1000-Lithium-Portable-Power-Station.product.100338966.html

Specifications:
Pack capacity: 1045WH (10.8V, 96.8Ah)
Single Cell Equivalent Capacity: 290.4mAh@3.6V
USB Port (output): %V, up to 2.4A (12W max), regulated
6mm Port (output, 6mm): 12V, up to 10A (120W max)
12V Car Port (output): 12V, to 10A(120W max)
12V Power Pole Port (output): 110 VAC 60Hz, 10A (1500W, 3000W surge)
110V AC Inverter (ouput, pure non sine wave): 110VAC 60Hz, (1500W, 3000W surge)
Charging Port (input, 8mm): 16-30V, upt to 10A (160W max)
Power Pole Charging Port (input): 16-30V, up to 20A (240W max)
EC8 chaining port: 12V, up to 180A (2100W max)

Kalisaya Power

Supporting Sponsor
The Yeti 400 Lithium is indeed a decent comparison to the KaliPAK 601.
Goal Zero is a great company, and we seriously learned from their mistakes.

However, the 100W panel costs $300 (you can get a 50W panel for $149 from them).
And it is very questionable if these are portable.

For that amount you can daisy-chain another set of foldable KalPAK panels to get up to 80W of sun power. There's a how-to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmAzvMf-zxc

Also remember that "50W" or "100W" is rated power, and in real-life conditions you can rarely reach such numbers, unless you tweak the position of the panel very accurately in full sun.
This is exactly part of what the integrated bluetooth provides you in the KaliPAK - by using the free KaliAPP - you can provide precise position to get as close as possible to the rated Watts. It does that by measuring the input, not by measuring the angle etc...
That's why we call it Smart Energy Use.

Sincerely,
Yaron Gissin
Co-founder and Designer of the KaliPAK

e60ral

That's only if you buy the GZ panel, you can use any solar panel with a goal zero, there are loads of 100 watt panels for $100-$150

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle