Going from prototype to full production must not be easy for new Integrated Overland Campers

Steve_382

The development of some of the newly announced rigs seems to be taking quite a long time. Truckhouse BCR, Supertramp Megatron, StoryTeller Hilt, 27North Rexrover, and several others all seem like good ideas, but haven't taken off yet. Maybe it's due to the high cost of the units and people aren't willing to put up $500k or so for a new unproven rig. At least with Earth Roamer they have been around long enough to give a buyer some confidence of longevity. I still think there is a market for something like the RexRover, Truckhouse BCR, etc., but the prices limit the number of buyers.

rruff

Explorer
On my latest 3-week trip (camping mostly in the mountains SW of Bouse AZ) the number of vehicles of that nature I saw was zero. Even the people with built offroad capable rigs, parked close to the highway where the access was easy and the cell reception good.

The RVers with money that I saw boondocking typically opted for huge land yachts, and some of them pulled SxS that they used for exploring. I think for the great majority of people, that simply makes more sense. And it definitely annoys me, as there is no way I can find a camp spot that is outside the SxS range, and they are everywhere...

Deleted Member 183

I like to use the analogy: The snap of the whip!

In the design and development of mechanical "things", the time between putting your concept "out there" for attracting interested buyers ( the swing of the whip handle) and the pick up of enough velocity for the tip to snap ( having a "sellable" product) can be lengthy, even for the most experienced professionals in their chosen fields.

In that time span there will ALWAYS be a myriad of issues, inflation, component availability, talented work force, the cost of money, and the most infuriating... The public's desires!!! The saying in the Industrial Design world for that is "the flavor of the month club"! With so many options of inexpensive 3D modeling, advanced imaging, and AI out there, just about any "schmo" can start attracting interest for their grand plans! In the past people with "more dollars than sense" have gotten suckered... Now the people with enough "disposable" income to afford expensive toys are A LOT more savvy! That and, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the "Overland ship is leaving the harbor"!

Deleted Member 183

If you have the "guts"...

Go onto Search Tempest and search for sale, Mercedes Sprinter! Then when you click the region, click "by owner".

This is the REAL "writing on the wall"!

Reactions: plh

jk6661

Observer
For me, an overlanding rig is about getting to interesting places and away from RV parks/highways. I want to be comfortable while I'm getting there, but I don't need a rolling palace with McMansion-level finishes. If I had $700,000, I would probably get a land yacht instead of an EarthRoamer and feel like I had to spend most of my time living in it rather than exploring.

Last edited:

renottse

Can only talk about Truckhouse BCR and Supertramp Megatron…

You want one of their boxes? Well you got to buy the truck as well and it’ll be the one they tell you to get (spec of said truck you may choose).

No interest in putting them on a older truck for “warranty purposes” was one answer, pushed further, they admitted they only had a solution for one type of chassis and because mine was different they didn’t have a solution yet. That was 18 months ago, no call back yet.

Those are some pretty strict requirements for someone spending significant $$$$, can see why people would say… ahhhh no thanks.

plh

Explorer
If you have the "guts"...

Go onto Search Tempest and search for sale, Mercedes Sprinter! Then when you click the region, click "by owner".

This is the REAL "writing on the wall"!

I am still in a holding pattern to pick one up real cheap, maybe in '25. I can't see where a 10 YO scrappily built out Sprinter is still $100K.

carleton

Some other perspectives:

Rossmonster seems to have gotten the Baja off the ground relatively quickly, without all of the fanfare of the Truckhouse

Provan Tiger hasn't significantly changed their design/layout in 20+ years (well, CX to TX, that's it). When they did offer other models (Malayan, etc), they ran into quality issues, so they went back to building the one model that does well for them, they have a market, and can build consistently to quality.

I get that "overlanding" is booming right now, but there is probably only a small number of people that are interested in $300k+ vehicles that only serve one purpose?
....and there are a glut of manufacturers already in that space?

gdaut

What qualifies as "full production" or "off the ground"? I seem to recall seeing somewhere that Truckhouse had produced 10 or 20 of the Tacoma based campers and is now moving to a Tundra chassis. 10 or 20 units is a far cry from the 500+ units Earthroamer seems to have built, but it is not obviously a failure.

driveby

EarthCruiser has only built just over 100 or so units in North America. EarthRoamer much more but not 1000's. It's not like these things roll off assembly lines by the dozen every day. If I'm a buyer at that level, I'm going to be pretty detailed in my purchase. Part of that is the financial history and ability to deliver on warranty work. Storyteller has that now so the Hilt could fall under that. Other folks that do good work but only have 5-10 (or less) examples out in the wild will face a much higher barrier to cross. There are also dozens of look alikes out there now. EC, ER, Nimbl, Bliss Mobil, SLRV, DDG Overland, RossMonster, OEV, OAT, Loki etc etc. All are 5500 class chassis and a box. That small buyer pie is being sliced up pretty good. I say all of this as a potential buyer. IF they all look the same, I'll buy company history as much as the product specs.

rruff

Explorer
All are 5500 class chassis and a box.
Many are 1-tons... and some you listed do >5500 level chassis... just sayin...

Financial history is a big one. Many got a good start during the covid boom, but they can still be killed by a major design or assembly goof. Trying to get started now would be tough. I see that Truckhouse hasn't even set pricing on their new rig. Maybe they are finishing orders on the Tacoma model still... no idea.

renottse

It's a Ram 3500.

… chassis cab only and must be brought / supplied by AEV.

I liked the idea of the biggest little truck (3500) with a hard side box as we already have the truck and it’s the next step in the compromise.

Would I like a new truck? Sure, but then I’m back to square one with solving/purchasing/making solutions for us… If I got to use the existing truck it’d be more relocation of what we have.

Not quite ready for the 5500 compromises yet.

They did say they would like to do a solution for the pickup chassis, but have picked a direction and are seeing it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior