Going Overland Tranglobal Expedition

Paul Crittenden

Hi everyone, glad to join this forum and meet a few like minded folks.

We are seven months into a two year trip, which began early June in the UK.

We are currently in Utah, and hoping to enjoy some time in the Moab area before heading vaguely in the California direction.

We have a Defender 110 manual :smiley_drive: outfitted for an 'all points' overland trip, and so far we have been pleased with how it is performing. Our objective is a true circumnavigation, with antipodes in Mongolia and southern Chile.

Our trip has taken us through Europe, Central Asia, and Russia so far, and we have been in the US since late October. If anyone want's to tie up for overland conversation and a beer or two, we are always open to suggestions!!:coffeedrink:

Please do check out the expedition website to follow progress.. we try to blog pretty regularly.

BR

Paul

Enjoyed viewing your website. Looks like an awesome trip. I had a good laugh with your bios.........the whole divorce thing, twice each. Best of luck this time.

Jerry (divorced too !!)

Paul Crittenden

Yeah, we laugh about it a lot too.

Best thing is, we had just one frosty situation in the last seven months of 24/7 husband and wife company, and that was the first time Helen cut my hair on the road - I was terrified and started to tell her how not to do it. Needless to say, she got right upset...and then demonstrated what I should have already realised.. that she had the scissors and ALL the power!!

SNIP, SNIP, SNIP...

I shut up pretty quick after that.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Looking forward to hearing more of your trip? Are you in SLC now? How much longer are you in town?

Edit: Read your blog/site and noticed your in Murray. I'm in Sandy (10 minutes away), if there is any last minute needs you have, feel free to ring me!

Last edited:

pokeyYJ

Observer
Paul,
This is Sean from Land Rover Centerville, great meeting you and your wife the other day! Good luck on the trip, hopefully no more break-in's in Utah!

Loved the rig, I snapped a few quick pictures of it with my phone and currently am using one as my background image.

Ronct110

Adventurer
Welcome to the San Francisco Bay Area

Hi Paul,

It was good meeting you and Helen today. I picked up my two boys (still in there school uniform) and rushed to Walnut Creek Land Rover Deakership; glad to catch the last presentation for the day.

Enjoyed your travel presentation from Mongolia to Siberia... Like the details from field repairs, hazards on the road, cultural experience, many others...

I took a few photos; here's one w/my two boys admiring your trusty Land Rover.

Keep up the adventure, and have a safe travel.

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    364.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Damn, I missed that - where was the presentation? are-you guys still around?

Intereting - my gf last name is also Crittenden...pretty rare I think.

pattro

Observer
Your website shows you as being in The San Francisco area, If you make it down to the Los Angeles area drop me a line and i'll treat you guys to a beer.
Great website and awesome trip.

Ronct110

Adventurer
If you make it down to the Los Angeles area drop me a line and i'll treat you guys to a beer.

Christian/Pattro,

Paul and Helen suppose to have left the SF Bay Area and heading to S. Cal. Then Texas and Mexico by mid April.

Pattro, make sure to post something on their blog and contact info. Tell Paul that I said hello from NCLR Club. Hope you connect w/him while he is in S. Cal. Paul tells me he trying to reach out to LR clubs.

Paul Crittenden

Rare indeed!

Yes, Crittenden is a pretty rare name, but my Grandpa spent time here chasing gold late in the late 1800s.

I once went to my local (UK) library and saw a book on the old wild west with a photo in it of a wanted poster in the name of Crittenden.

Maybe we share ************ roots!!

We are currently in Santa Cruz for a few days - heading south then to San Diego before going to the Overland Expo 1-3rd April.

Anyone else going? :)

P

Ronct110

Adventurer
Hey Paul, enjoy your stay in Santa Cruz.

Will, NCLR club president, said he might be able to stop-by, and visit you and Helen in Santa Cruz. He lives not too far.

Also my offer still stands. I upgraded the rear differential carrier on my 1990 RRC to a 24 spline Detroit Locker, and GBR HD 24 spline rear axle shafts. I have a pair of LR OEM 24 spline rear axle shafts kept in storage for spares (see picture). Yours to keep if you can confirm compatible with your 110 rear half shafts. Edit: another suggestion is to weld the worn out drive flange and half shaft teeth together.

For delivery, we can meet half-way (I live near Berkeley), or come and join us for an early dinner treat @ Mexxis this week.

Mexxis is in San Ramon (address below); great authentic Southern Mexico dishes. Owners Carlos/Enrique are big Land Rover fans. Just tell me which day this week will work for your schedule so I can coordinate with our club members who may want to also join this meet/greet.

Any Expo members who are in the area, come join us!

Mexxi's: http://mexxis.com/default.htm
9110 Alcosta Blvd
San Ramon, CA 94583
Tel: 925.803.1111
From Santa Cruz take 17N, 880N, exit 12A/Mission Blvd to cut over to 680N. Exit Alcosta Blvd.

Talk to you soon!

Attachments

• DSC_0346.JPG
    DSC_0346.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior