Going to buy a 4Runner... Help - What's a good deal

RoundOut

Explorer
I'm looking for a 4Runner for my kids. My wife recently locked in on a safety report by the NHTSA that stated the 2001-2004 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 had the best driver death rating (there were a couple better, but they were the expensive luxury lines like Mercedes). I was pleased that there was a Toyota near the top, so I didn't try to argue the point too much. Better yet, it was the 4x4 4Runner, not the 2wd model.

I'm thinking of another expedition platform at the same time as I am thinking of a daily driver for the kids. :wings:

I've looked at Carmax' website and found 03's & 04's for $15-18K. I think they are too much.

There are a few local dealers with some a bit cheaper. The best one I've found online so far is a 2003 up at a dealer in The Woodlands that I'm looking at tomorrow for just under $13 with 86K miles, loaded. Is it a good deal? Here's a link. I'm not scared of the mileage on this one, provided the a/c works well and the drive train, especially the front (little used by non-offroaders) is in good shape. It would be a great buggy for the kids to share.

The carfax report says it had a right front impact on 10/8/08 (just a few weeks ago) and that makes me a little nervous, but as long as it was repaired properly, I'd be OK. Anything special to look for on that?

I looked on Edmunds at similar pricing and it appears to be about $800 under "dealer retail". Maybe that is because of the one fender bender.

One more side note... the one above is the same color as my Tundra and my wife's Sequoia. We'd have another beige Yota in the livery!

Thanks a bunch for your help, folks.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Well I don't have much to say specifically on that generation 4runner but I can say this:

#1: Carfax doesn't mean crap...consider yourself lucky that something actually showed up on the report. We purchased a car a few years ago from a dealership only later to find out it had been in a major accident and 'repaired' enough to get the fender back on so no one would see it. Carfax only works if the accident was actually reported as a claim to the insurance company. :(

B: With that said if it is ok, you should be able to use that for a lot of negotiation on a better price. Remember, it is a buyers market out there right now for any car, and even more so for SUV's...take your time and only pay what you want. There will probably be another 5 on the lot next week.

Good luck and post up when you get whatever it is you will get!

shawkins

Adventurer
Where it just had a wreck and then was traded in right away would make me leary of it.

Even with just a small fender bender, stuff could be tweaked. Since it's at a dealer, its hard to get details of the damage.

When I bought mine a couple months ago, the carfax came up clean, but come to find out the front bumper has been replaced. I knew it needed an alignment, so when I figured out the bumper had been replaced I started thinking the worst (tweaked frame). Luckily when I installed my lift and had it aligned, they had no problem getting everything to spec. It wouldn't be a bad idea to take it into an independant shop and have them take a look at it and check the alignment.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
shawkins said:
Where it just had a wreck and then was traded in right away would make me leary of it.

Even with just a small fender bender, stuff could be tweaked. Since it's at a dealer, its hard to get details of the damage.

When I bought mine a couple months ago, the carfax came up clean, but come to find out the front bumper has been replaced. I knew it needed an alignment, so when I figured out the bumper had been replaced I started thinking the worst (tweaked frame). Luckily when I installed my lift and had it aligned, they had no problem getting everything to spec. It wouldn't be a bad idea to take it into an independant shop and have them take a look at it and check the alignment.

Thats exactly what happened to us...car kept pulling to the right, pulling to the right...had it aligned and re-aligned, new wheels and tires, over and over..until finally the right shop started to inspect and took the fender off... Buyer beware.....

shawkins

Adventurer
Miss R2FJ said:
Thats exactly what happened to us...car kept pulling to the right, pulling to the right...had it aligned and re-aligned, new wheels and tires, over and over..until finally the right shop started to inspect and took the fender off... Buyer beware.....
[HIJACK ON]I told myself that if it wouldn't align, it was getting SAC'd. So half of me was happy that it aligned, but the other half was sad because thats something I really want to do one day and that would have been the perfect excuse to do it![/HIJACK OFF]

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Gary,

You are right between two generations of 4Runner there. The 3rd gen ended in 2002, and the 4th (latest) gen started in 2003. I owned a 3rd gen, and my folks have 4th gen, and generally speaking the 4th gen added more refinements to make it appealing for pavement travel and hauling passengers.

Just a few things to consider:

- that gold one has the 4.0 V6, which is a great engine, but most 4Runner folks seem to prefer the V8. You don't lose much in the mpg area, but the V8 offers more overall power and torque (as you know). May not be an issue for you, but possibly an issue for resale.

- the crash wouldn't bother me either, but I would definitely inspect the body lines, frame, front bumper/crossmember, and suspension. I might even have someone else drive it, and follow behind and watch how it tracks down the road. But again, if reselling the 4Runner in the near future is a potential, then it could hinder that.

- My personal bias is for the 3rd gen with a 3.4 V6 as a dual purpose rig, but for a daily driver for your daughters, the 4th gen would probably be nicer.

If anything, you should have a few things to bargain with, and possibly land a sweet deal on a nice 4Runner. In a five minute scan of craigslist ads for 2003 4wd 4Runners, most were listed between 10-14k, so I'm not sure it's the best deal out there, but it sure looks like a nice rig.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I've owned two 3rd Gen 4Runners, a 98 and 02. If I were to get another one, it would definitely be a 99-00 Limited w/ a rear locker. 99-00 Limiteds have the multi-mode 4WD system which allows you to run 4WD in the pavement. Also has the option of locking the center diff and of course, most come with the rear locker. It's pretty comfy with the auto climate control, leather, and the works. I think thus far, it was the best 4Runner made, IMO. You can pick up a 99-00 Limited w/ less than 100k miles for less than $10k (maybe even less).

But I will say that the 4th Gens (03+) are more spacious and comfortable. But you should test drive both and see for yourself.

Other facts:

- 03-04 V6's had the 4-speed auto transmission, where the 05+ has 5-speed autos. All V8's were 5-speed.
- No rear lockers were available for 01+ 4Runners.
- 01+ 4Runners had VSC/TRAC. However, they could pose possible harm when trying to accelerate from a stop in the snow or rain as the TRAC system cuts power when it detects any wheel slip (try pulling out onto the main road then having no power at all in the middle of the street!). But I did see it save my friend's 4Runner from a possible wreck one time in the rain.
- 03+ V8 4Runners are full-time 4WD. V6's are selectable.
- 03+ have rear discs!
- 03+ 4.0L V6 have timing chains. 3.4L V6's have timing belts. The 4.7L V8's are also timing belts.

Good luck with the purchase.

Last edited:

sseaman

Adventurer
I don't think you can go wrong with either 3rd or 4th gen 4runners. The most important thing is how it has been taken care of. And it is a buyers market, take you time and be willing to walk. We just got an 04 Sequoia Limited 4x4, for less than KBB trade in value. But we passed on some other decent deals first. It is hard not to spend a few extra minutes or hours to save big money.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Another good forum that is focused on the 4th Gen 4Runners is www.toyota120.com.

There is ton of 4runner specifc experience over there. Even has a few Expo members that are active as well.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Cackalak Han said:
Other facts:

- 03-04 V6's had the 4-speed auto transmission, where the 05+ has 5-speed autos. All V8's were 5-speed.
- No rear lockers were available for 01+ 4Runners.
- 01+ 4Runners had VSC/TRAC. However, they could pose possible harm when trying to accelerate from a stop in the snow or rain as the TRAC system cuts power when it detects any wheel slip (try pulling out onto the main road then having no power at all in the middle of the street!). But I did see it save my friend's 4Runner from a possible wreck one time in the rain.
- 03+ V8 4Runners are full-time 4WD. V6's are selectable.
- 03+ have rear discs!
- 03+ 4.0L V6 have timing chains. 3.4L V6's have timing belts. The 4.7L V8's are also timing belts.

Good luck with the purchase.
to Add:
-4th Gen have torsen center diffs
-at some point during the 4th gen model run a vvti v8 was introduced, if I were to choose a v8, this is the one I'd get. I chose a v6 though (works for me)
i agree toyota120.com is a good place to look.

RoundOut

Explorer
Thanks for the input so far guys!
Jacket said:
You are right between two generations of 4Runner there. The 3rd gen ended in 2002, and the 4th (latest) gen started in 2003. I owned a 3rd gen, and my folks have 4th gen, and generally speaking the 4th gen added more refinements to make it appealing for pavement travel and hauling passengers.
Yes, this one definitely had the refinements. It is a beautiful interior and the dealership had done a good job steam cleaning the engine.
Jacket said:
- that gold one has the 4.0 V6, which is a great engine, but most 4Runner folks seem to prefer the V8. You don't lose much in the mpg area, but the V8 offers more overall power and torque (as you know). May not be an issue for you, but possibly an issue for resale.
Yeah, it's for my daughter and son -- where power = danger -- remember when we were kids? LOL
Jacket said:
- the crash wouldn't bother me either, but I would definitely inspect the body lines, frame, front bumper/crossmember, and suspension. I might even have someone else drive it, and follow behind and watch how it tracks down the road. But again, if reselling the 4Runner in the near future is a potential, then it could hinder that.
After seeing it this morning, I was thrilled about it from this regard. The front bumper (plastic POS) is damaged fairly well on both corners. Still hanging on with all attachments fine, but scraped pretty bad. The dealership offered to make the cosmetic repairs at their cost of about $400. I thought - knock $400 off and I'll go get a Schrockworks bumper up front!

After a close inspection, there is only cosmetic damage to the plastic parts of the bumper. As I was pulling up to the dealership this morning, a mechanic friend of mine saw my truck and greeted me. He had room on a lift in the shop and said for me to have the salesman drive it back to inspect it well. What a great benefit!

We got it up, and about the only thing I found was some play in the right front wheel, likely coming from the steering rack inside the boot where the connection to the right outer tie rod end is. It may just be a steering gear rack bushing, but it feels like it is something loose inside that boot.

We drove it, and then the bad news started. The VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, and ABS lights all came on at the same time. We just went through this on my wife's Sequoia at a cost of over $1500. They went off after a few minutes, then when testing the brake system (I tried to lock them up), the lights came back on. On our Sequoia, this was a sensor in the ABS system as well as a whole new ABS computer. OUCH.

Cackalak Han said:
Does the timing chain need replacement after 90,000 miles like the timing belts? I was all set to do this and the water pump anyhow.

Anyhow, after looking at it, driving it, and assessing my liability, I made them a reasonable offer after insisting that they repair the steering gear play and the ABS/VSC problems. They refused and I went home.

Next!

Cackalak Han

Explorer
RoundOut said:
Does the timing chain need replacement after 90,000 miles like the timing belts? I was all set to do this and the water pump anyhow.

No. IIRC, the Toyota dealership told me that it was a lifetime part. I don't really know of any 4Runners/Tacoma's with the 4.0L V6's past 100k miles to know if there have been problems down the line with the chain. But my friend's with ~80k miles that he FLOGGS on daily is doing great.

However, I will say that the belt on the 3.4L's will LONG surpass the 90k maintenance mark. I am at 117k and the belt still looks great. I am going to change it out when I see the water pump start to leak. It is also a non-interference engine, so I'm not too worried if the belt were to snap.

If this vehicle is going to be strictly for your kids, I'd stick them in the 3rd Gen, mostly due to the lesser cost and probably less insurance, too. If you don't care for the 99-00 Limited, there are plenty of 96-00's out there for around $6k that are in great shape.

Oh, thanks again for the backup sensor, BTW. Perhaps you should have kept it for this next rig. :D

RoundOut

Explorer
Cackalak Han said:
Oh, thanks again for the backup sensor, BTW. Perhaps you should have kept it for this next rig. :D

:oops: Yeah, I thought of that, too. LOL

Thanks for your input here.

spikemd

Explorer
I have a an 03 4Runner and I think it was a big improvement over the 3rd gen. Don't get me wrong, the 3rd gen is great, but at 6' 2", I need the extra interior room to be comfortable. I also got the V8 which is a fantastic, bullet-proof engine. You do need to change the timing belt, but it will has a great track record. I also like the full-time 4x4 and the 5-spd tranny in the V8 over the V6. I have seen 4th gens in California for $12k right now. Ridiculously low prices for such a capable vehicle. :yikes:

Good luck with your search. Don't get a vehicle with ANY carfax history. Its just not worth it and there are plenty of good 4Runners out there. Be meticulous in your inspection and question everything. It should be solid.

One thing that scared me a bit on my first test drive, was when coming to a stop, you can get a clunk in the drivetrain that sounds like a bad brake or something. It is common and is just the driveshaft that makes the 'clunk' noise. Regular lubrication can help, but may not eliminate it completely. Don't be alarmed.

good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears