Going to fetch my Suburban tomorrow...

Wants2Wander

Howdy folks, I've been floating around here for a while and like what i've been seeing. So tomorrow I fly out to my brothers place in South Dakota and prep my 3/4 ton 1991 Burb for the trip home to the Third Coast. I UPSed a tool kit out for the drive home and cant wait for the adventure. The truck has around 140k on it and does run like a top, although it has spent some time hammering about the ranch lands around his house in search of coyotes to euthanize, with no rust and some sweet barn doors. By the looks of the transmission pan it appears to have the 4L80E trans in it, I'm going by the LMC trans identifier, and it will probably be the first piece to get rebuilt. I could hook up any motor to a properly built trans as well as feel better taking it over hill and dale. I've got 900 miles to get to know it and look forward to spending some quality time with it and my wrenches. ;) She's not to bad looking for $1k huh? I look forward to putting up some of my work on it soon, trans rebuild may be first, but the stuff I can do now will be rustproofing, rubber for doors and windows and all new body mounts to start.

Attachments

• IMG_0322.JPG
    IMG_0322.JPG
    832.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Rot Box

Explorer
Looks good. The 4L80E 91's are getting really hard to find--especially for that price :Wow1: Keep us posted.

Wants2Wander

Yeah it is a finely aged Burban, had to jump on it when I saw her. I think I overpaid ;). Now I may have a line on a warn 8274 winch as well for cheap. I hope this run of price luck carries on through the build of the truck, anyone got a 383 they need to get rid of? 6bt? I won't be doing much big stuff right away I've got two more semesters of re-education to finish then I'll be making that coin again and can jump on it. Good thing my wife is as excited about this project as I am! She jams.

ccarley

Adventurer
Wow! Man you are lucky! Looks like a sweet rig.

I dig the color too, and I like the non-tinted windows. Barn doors are sweet!

Make sure to keep us updated on your build :)

Clay

Cody1771

Explorer
ohimo i would stay away from a 383, eather go with a crate 350, you can get one from Chevy Performance Parts for about $1700 brand new, LS1 out of a wrecked truck, or a 6BT, for the price of a LS1 i personally would go for a Gen 1 cummins swap. the only issue with the cummins swap is the minimum 4" lift, and you will need to upgrade your front axle to a D60 as you will bend the 44 or 10 bolt that is in it. the Cummins 6Bt weighs in at 1100lbs without tranny and t-case. the LS1 would bolt right in but if your looking low budget cant go wrong with a good old 350. ORD sells a 2" and a 4" lift shackle reversal for the rear which will greatly increase your ride quality. imo a 2" lift, with a tiny bit of fender messaging, some 35's and possibly a rear locker and you got a rig that is reliable and will get you just about anywhere. looking forward to the build!

pileofparts

6BT!!!!! you can find good deals if you look hard enough. Plus it will run forever and make as much power as you choose while still getting you MPG's that would be impossible to get out of the same power level gas motor.

Wants2Wander

Not a 383 aye? I have been looking at some 350 crate motors or just getting rid of all of the smog crap on it and doing a new top end and cam. Motor work is a ways off yet though. I had an 03 cummins dodge with the 6sp manual when in I was in construction, sold it to my brother when I got out, and that motor/trans was fantastic. We'll see what happens once schools done and I'm back making real money.

Wants2Wander

Oh yeah, I agree Cody, no more than 4" at the very most and 2-3" should be perfect. I want it useable, not on scaffolding with 44's. 33-37" tires would be as big as I would go, gotta keep the center of gravity down some.

Wants2Wander

She runs good but I need to tighten the steering box a touch, the rag joint looks good but it will get the xj part shortly. Needs a carpet kit too and some front brake pads maybe. The brakes don't pulse but the pedal is soft, fluid looked good too. The service engine light goes on and off and it smells to be running rich, any suggestions as to where to look first for that? I'm new to the chevy TBI 350.

bftank

Explorer
check spark plugs they will tell you if all cylinders are getting used or not. if they are all black from being rich then take out your o2 sensor and check it for cracks, if you see chunks replace it.

this truck has an obd 1 computer in it that can be read with a scanner. i usually borrow one from o'reilly's here in town. might get it read, some of these codes won't throw a check engine light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78