Going to look at a 1996 Isuzu trooper

Wyo37

Going to look at a 96 trooper. Has 184k miles, auto transmission. What are some things I need to be conscious of when looking it over or test driving it?

Is the auto transmission enough to run away or should I not worry too much? Did the 96 only come with the 3.2 v6?

Thanks.

Wyo37

I tried joining and posting to planetzoo, what is up with that forum? My intro was deleted and a question exactly like this was deleted. Bizarre

drabina

Not sure if it is not too late but from what I heard when I was looking at Troopers and also Monteros of similar vintage is that the automatic transmission in the Troopers is not good. From my research if I were to get a Trooper, it would have to be with a manual transmission as those were good. No personal experience with the car though. Just what I read on the internet and heard from the owners.

tcb2

The transmission was weak in those, 4L30 if I remember correctly. Not everyone took care of them and serviced them regularly. I would ask for service records. However they were also used in a lot of different vehicles. I had a 95, if the coil packs are at the front of the engine it's a single overhead cam. If coil packs are on the back its duel overhead cam with extra 15?? horse power. Lots of GM parts in it, coils are the same as on the impala.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior