Good alternative to a Unimog?

Iain_U1250

Explorer
The VW Syncros are great vehicles, a good compromise between off-road and on road ability. The only thing I would be worried about for a long trip is their load carry capacity. That one looks very well set-up, but it must be close to GVM especially with 5 people on board, let alone all the gear.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I think Syncro Westy's and Vanagon's are really neat rigs... but "an alternative to a UMIMOG" they are NOT. In capacity, capability and all the things a Unimog is(tractor,road vehicle,inpliment powersource, dumptruck, camper yadda yadda yadda...) there are very few equals. Still, your mate has a REALLY neat Syncro. I've been seeing a MOB of Syncro's around lately as if they've either been out exploring or running some trails that are still open this time of year. Such cool rigs, one of them is even a Combi which are SUPER rare here in the states (think Pick up with a Vanagon front single and crew cab) Thanks for sharing, might want to put this in the VAN section too, folks there might see it more and other Syncro owners will love this.

Cheers

Dave

EDIT: So I was looking through the pics and info, but I don't see anything in there about an axle swap??? That sure doesn't LOOK like a the rear axle/suspension from a standard Syncro. I noticed he swaped in an NP241 so did he sap in solid axles as well??? Aslo, got any idea what 2.4L Turbo diesel he swaped in??? Or did the Euro market get a 2.4L VW TDI that's different from our N.American diesel??? Aslo, it says he was planning on a big trip then had "a change of plan"... so what changed??? Did he get a different vehicle or just scrap the trip???

Last edited:

dare2go

Observer
That's NOT a normal VW Synco - that's an LT (Light Truck) = one weight class up!

These have a good reputation in general, their weak point is the rear differential, and they could do with a bit stronger engine. Part supplies in the US will be patchy, as through all of the American continent.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
??? OOH... So it's like a Military/comercial vehicle then??? I've never seen one like that (big shock we never got them in the states :rolleyes: Anyway, so is that the reason that it has a solid axle out back (and is there one in the front too)??? If it had portal boxes (which I've seen some german companies do to newer Transporters) it really WOULD be kind of a "Mini-Mog" (reletive to newer Mogs, not the original ones or Halffy's)... I stand corrected, this is quite the unique vehicle and not just the obvious bits. I remember seeing a "VW" badged military rtuck once, it was in some sort of museam and I think it was made by MAN??? It looked like a single cab Transporter with a wider cab/chasis. Is this platform related to that one in any way, and is there any info out there on these "LT's"??? I'd love to read more about them as I'm sure there are some really KEY differnces and neat things that have been done to them. Thanks of the info.

Cheers

Dave

LukeH

Adventurer
One thing’s for sure, in off-road ability the LT is no alternative for even the most primitive of Mogs.
In order of size:
Vanagon syncro sits on 15” wheels (with some very rare 16” versions) (69hp for the diesel)
LT 40 sits on 16” wheels (100hp for the diesel).
VW/MAN 813 sits on 20” wheels (the 13 is for 130 hp).

From personal experience with my old Iveco Daily 4x4, I can confidently say that sitting a 4-plus tonne vehicle on Euro 16” off-road tyres is asking to get stuck. Already there are very few off-tar tyres that have an adequate load rating, and those that do have to be run close to their maximum pressure so you don’t have much latitude to air down (as I found to my expense in the banc d’Arguin).

Gertenbach of the Bigfoot/Ormocar blog fame had endless trouble with his transfer case on the LT he had before buying his Mercedes 1017, maybe that’s another weak point.

And it seems virtually all trucks that came out of Germany at that time were underpowered, and on 16" lack of power is really frustrating.
The power to weight issues of small cars like land rovers and land cruisers apply to the LT because it is on 16” wheels.
The unimogs, MAN 813s, 1017s and all the other underpowered “proper lorries” obey a different set of rules as far as power to weight is concerned: They sit on 20” wheels and that changes everything. If you haven’t driven one and discovered the difference try one, or at least read Chris Scott’s writeup of his trip with a MAN 813.

Back to the LT:
So it’s gutless and has weak points in its driveline.
BUT it’s a reasonable sized tin box with more space than a Vanagon and completely bog standard leaf springs and hangars.
SOOO, there is really very little stopping the competent mechanic from swapping out an entire drivetrain from another, more solid donor.
An American user could happily take the underpinnings from his favourite leaf sprung heavy pickup, then you even have access to the huge range of US tyres available.
And once you’re into swapping drivelines etc. you don’t even have to stick to the 4x4; there are some lovely Karmann overcab campers built onto LTs out there.
As long as your local licensing authority allows it of course.
Question is: will it be more work to build up a box on a Fuso/Isuzu 4x4, or to 4x4-ify an existing VW camper box? I guess it depends on your competences, a mechanic is not necessarily a cabinet maker and vice versa.
Well then, that’s the startup idea for my seventh or eighth “million dollar company”…(in my dreams)

Just some ideas.
Ps I haven’t been efficient and put links in, I have to type at my desk and then take the computer to a meeting room to connect to the internet to post. Google will probably find you the links.

Ram5500

Observer
Warning: shameless plug :)

Title of this thread caught my eye, since I had built my rig as my personal version of a Unimog alternative Expo rig.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-Dodge-Ram-5500-4x4-w-Arctic-Fox-992-S-Camper

Started with a stock Dodge 5500 4x4 for several reasons, some of which being:

-6.7L Cummins diesel- add Black Maxx Tuner, EGR & DPF Deletes and it has more power than a Mog can dream of
- factory exhaust brake
- 19,500 lbs GVW
- Magna 7500 lb Front axle, Dana S 110 Rear 13,500 lb axle w/ very large disk brakes
-add 365/80R20 MPT 81's on double beadlock reversible rims- turns approx 2000 rpm's @ 120 km/hr in 6th gear (would need transfer case doubler for even lower crawl gearing- mog goes much lower)
-Transmission PTO
- Crew Cab with all the creature comforts
- lower cg (lower axle clearance without the portals too though)
- Price: got a near new truck, with warranty for less than the price of a much older Mog
-parts availability in North America

Add on a high end slide in camper and I have all the comforts & maneuverability, as well as the option to off load it for a work vehicle as well, hauling trailers, etc.

Not knocking the UniMog at all, would love to have one (looking for U1300 steer axles or similar to put under my Dodge 2500!), this was just some of why I went the route I did when deciding on a vehicle to start with.

Depends a lot on where you live and/or travel, here (NA) the VW LT is rarer than hens teeth- Unimogs are plentiful in comparison I'd say! Dodge Rams are everywhere to say the least

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior