Good books and first mechanicals-new XJ

Purzell

Adventurer
Hi all,

I am considering tackling the replacement of my serpentine belt. I read this guide online:
http://www.getahelmet.com/jeeps/maint/belt/
It sounds relatively idiot proof. Anything I should know, like am I going to destroy something if I've never done this before?

Next I was hoping someone could point me to the best repair manual to have for the XJ. A Haynes or Chilton type book, or is there one I don't know about that can guide me through my own repairs and maintenance.

Thanks!

weva09con

Observer
Another great book for the XJ is the XJ Builders Guide by Cartech books. I got my copy of it at Books A Million!! Tons of useful info in there. Not quite a Chiltons but well wortht the cash!! Good Luck!!

Global Nomad

Thanks for that link. I am too myself trying to tackle most of my mechanical maintenance. I will be changing out my transmission fluid and differential fluids today for the 1st time.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Some other books that I like...

Tuning info:

Historical:

The OEM section on NAXJA is pretty good too. Search, it's likely been covered. You get good responses there when you do have to post.

hugh

Observer
Depending on the year of your XJ the adjustment set up may be different, Jeep used a couple of different systems. In the getahelmet instructions that system uses a spring loaded tensioner , my wife's old 89 used that system. My 98 is manually adjusted on the drivers side and you need a fairly cheap tool called a Krikit to check the tension of the belt. It's available at NAPA and should cost somewhere around $15 or $20

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
If you don't already have a set set, get some stubby wrenches (ratcheting and non-ratcheting). Makes working on the front engine a much easier process.

These Jeeps were never meant to have the 4.0 and it shows. It's very tight in the front of the engine bay. I'm not going to complain, effectively the XJ is a factory hot-rod with swapped engine :) In 1987 these things hauled ***** compared to what else was out there.

Get your hands on a factory service manual. You can find them for free online in .pdf form if you look hard enough. otherwise $100 give or take in book form. A serpentine belt is very easy. Just something to relieve pressure on the tensioner. Just take a picture of the one thats on just to be safe before you remove it.

dwalt

It's a pain in the ***, but not that hard.

I just sold my xj (the forth one I've owned), and have a couple of different manuals for it. PM me your address, and I'll send them to you.

Make certain, before you start it after the belt replacement, that the belt is seated and centered correctly in ALL of the pulleys. (all the belt ribs are down in their proper pulley grooves) or you will wipe the new belt out in seconds. Ask me how I know.:oops:

Get in there with a good flashlight and check it twice!!!

Good Luck

skip44

Observer
I wouldn't recommend the Haynes manual, I have it and don't like it, especially for the later XJs. You can also get a factory manual on disk from ebay and sometimes on CL for around $10.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I've got a Chilton's manual. Sometimes you kind of have to fill in the blanks to do what the book says, like it will say "remove such-and-such assembly" but they won't tell you exactly how so you have to figure it out on your own. Other than that it is pretty good though, I've also got the High Performance XJ book and like it, I want to get my hands on an official service manual and then my library will be complete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle