good deal?

zukrider

Explorer
hi guys, im new here, and very new to land rovers. my backgroound consists of fullsize domestic and samurai's.

name is joe

anyway, i was wondering if you could tell me if this, http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/1300493315.html, is a good deal? also, what are the pro's and con's to this particular disco, and what i ought to look for when purchasing one?

i have narrowed my search for my next rig to a disco or an 80/100 series land cruiser

thanx in advance, joe

NCLR015

Adventurer
Your big problem with a 2002 is no center differential lock. This means the front/rear is never locked up and you rely on your traction control. The 2004's have the CDL and 4.6 liter motor, more money but the way to go. Absent that if you get a 99-00-01 you can't lock the center diff from the cab, but you can crawl underneath and lock it with a 10mm wrench. You can also add various mechanisms to lock it from inside like D1 linkage, 04 D2 linkage, and there's solenoid kits, some even use a lever and reach under to lock and unlock it.

I had a 01, the traction control is OK, but they're much better if you can lock the center differential. I've gone up things unlocked that other D2 owners have gone up locked and they had a much easier time.

The real choice comes down to if you're actually going to wheel it, if so how hard, or are you going to use it as a mall cruiser, in which case the locking CDL won't make any difference. If light off roading it shouldn't make much difference either.

If you're going to wheel one hard, expect rear bumper damage too, the 6" longer they are than a D1 makes a difference.

You also will get the 3 amigos from the ABS system on these (the dash lights up like an Xmas Tree)

If you go read at www.discoweb.org there's tons of information about Discos, it's a much older website and lots of hardcore LR owners. Just don't be touchy about being hassled at first and remember the people who give you the most crap are also the one's who know the most stuff.

zukrider

Explorer
thanx for the info. im deffinately a cdl guy. future plans are 35's and off to south america.

thanx again for the info.

joe

michaels

Explorer
thanx for the info. im deffinately a cdl guy. future plans are 35's and off to south america.

thanx again for the info.

joe

you'll need better axles and carrier for 35s. you'll be breaking spider gears constantly and axles will let go with frequency as well.

zukrider

Explorer
well then, what would be the reccomendation's. what do i need for 35's? what tires are good without the major swap?

im a lite footed wheeler. i made a sami with stock axles survive 35's pretty good. im all about finess. but, if mods are necessary, im competent with repairs and upgrades. i a certified mecanic with a full tool box, and i do all my own fab.

so bring on the suggestions.

again, thank you for obliging my land rover ignorance

joe

jham

Adventurer
Joe, if you're set on running 35s, why not just go with a vehicle that can run them easier? Running 35s properly on a D2 takes a lot of upgrades. If you need something this big, why not go with a toyota?

zukrider

Explorer
not necessarily a need. more ofa preference, but im totally open to ideas. and expo as seemed to be the best place for info in my experience. this rig will be a drive to get their and back, wheel around at every place i can find kinda truck. my lingering issue is tha i have a tendency to push both me and my truck cause i knowi can. though i hate to do it, i have a tendency to roll over. its been 4 yrs since the last, but its not unheard of. so i ike to be prepared for anything think "I" can do.

so what is the norm biggest tire ran by all you roer guys then?

jham

Adventurer
don't get me wrong, you can go with any size tire you want on a disco. I know guys running 37" IROKs. But like any vehicle, you have to do the modifications to make it work.

A properly setup discovery on 33s will get you a lot of places. My opinion is stop the tire size at 33 and focus your money and attention on a quality setup. Examine and plan out your down travel as well as your up travel. Address traction issues with HD axles and lockers, or at least LSDs. Make sure you're underside is protected with sliders and diff guards and skids if needed. You'll be just fine.

Disco2Guy

Observer
I have 235/85/16's w/ a 2" RTE lift and plan to go up to 255/85/16 when I get the 3" RTE (RoverTym Engineering) lift. The 33" tires just need the lift, running 35" will require a good bit of trimming including the doors. At that point you'll want the Ashcroft axles and taller gears (4.11). Talk to Justin at Luck8 LLC. He sells the HD axle stuff and is running massive tires.

michaels

Explorer
i run 33s on a 2" RTE lift. fits jsut fine. i added a 1" spacer in the rear for comfort. i cut about seven inches off my rear quarter panel.

you can run 35s with 3" of lift, cutting, and HD axles. you'll want to replace the carrier, since the spider gears are weak, so at least a detroit in the rear and TT up front. go ARBs if you have the money. then you can build your own bumpers and sliders. you'll be good to go just about anywhere you want in a full bodied rig with that setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan