Good Idea? Bad Idea?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Saw this solar set up on a recent Expo FSBO. Interesting, hmmmm? Maybe it’s actually portable and shown this way “for educational purposes only”. But it does look like there’s some kind of sealant/glue along the front on the panel.

So anyway, now I’m wondering about the pros and cons of such a hood mounted panel. Is this a good idea, or not? Mainly, would the engine heat damage/impede the functionality of the panel?

72068BFD-355C-4C47-A9AC-A1071C7DD8A5.jpeg

alanymarce

I saw a vehicle recently with a solar panel on the bonnet (hood) however it was very thin and somewhat flexible. The owner told me that it works well. Apparently therefore no problems with engine heat. I didn't think to ask the make of the panel, unfortunately.

I'd guess that the only downside of the thick panel in the post would be wind noise and its trapping dirt easily.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
There's these hood mounted options.

Sounds like the ones @alanymarce described.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Looks like maybe vhb tape for a temporary installation?

Maybe for testing purposes? Seems like after miles of washboard roads the hard solar panel may vibrate loose unless there are some bolts that attach the panel to the hood.

There are fitted solar panels for the hood of several vehicles.
I think the fitted ones are cool but that one looks like trailer park trash and a flat panel like that will be blinding if the sun reflects into yer eyes.

I agree with billiebob, that one in the first post is not a clean install and agree on the sun ray reflections.

WanderingBison

Heat is detriment for anything electrical.
Sure that thing works, but at reduced capacity.
Aside from hood mounting 100% ugly, I would be concerned about heat affecting adhesive what glues its parts together.

I know I had the same concern but then I realized that when the engine is running, I don’t need the solar output from the panel since I’m using alternator/chassis battery power to top up my house battery.

I will most certainly consider this for the next build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alanymarce

There's these hood mounted options.Sounds like the ones @alanymarce described.

Yes, these look like the ones we saw.

Glare at the right sun angle would be a concern of mine.
I guess if you're in high latitudes then unless driving east in the morning or west in the afternoon this could be a concern.

FUrthermore if driving in Shetland, Newfoundland, or Tierra del Fuego solar panels are of limited value!

86scotty

Cynic
I have the Cascadia 80w panel on a 2021 Jeep Wrangler (like pic above). It is not cheap but very well made and the mounting process with a vinyl backer sheet to protect your paint from dust/sticker residue as well as copious VHB tape and very well made wiring components impressed me. As for longevity, we'll see. Working great after one year.

I would have a hard time buying a $600 solar panel for my personal vehicle (most of which have been vans and thus get a cheap flat Amazon/Renogy panel or two) but the Jeep is my wife's daily and she gets interested in a new car about every 20 years, so this panel justified the value of the purchase.

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
I saw a vehicle recently with a solar panel on the bonnet (hood) however it was very thin and somewhat flexible. The owner told me that it works well. Apparently therefore no problems with engine heat. I didn't think to ask the make of the panel, unfortunately.

I'd guess that the only downside of the thick panel in the post would be wind noise and its trapping dirt easily.

and it is ugly as sin

rruff

Explorer
I know I had the same concern but then I realized that when the engine is running, I don’t need the solar output from the panel since I’m using alternator/chassis battery power to top up my house battery.
The concern of heat includes lack of free air cooling the underside of the module.
Prior mentioned, mounting tightly works but at lesser rate of energy capture.

I don't think the hood gets that hot from the engine compared to sitting in still air. And most of the time when you are driving there will be plenty of airflow to cool it off. I wouldn't mount it tight though... leave .5" gap or so... and use bolts to hold it.

Do solar panels glare? They are made to absorb sunlight, not reflect it. Mine have a very fine texture in the glass, and I think that is typical. Seems like they'd surely glare less than shiny auto paint. If the sun comes out someday soon I'll check it out.

As Peter (montypower) mentioned years ago, it could be a safety issue having a glass panel with an aluminum frame on your hood in a head-on accident.

86scotty

Cynic
I don't think the hood gets that hot from the engine compared to sitting in still air. And most of the time when you are driving there will be plenty of airflow to cool it off. I wouldn't mount it tight though... leave .5" gap or so... and use bolts to hold it.

Do solar panels glare? They are made to absorb sunlight, not reflect it. Mine have a very fine texture in the glass, and I think that is typical. Seems like they'd surely glare less than shiny auto paint. If the sun comes out someday soon I'll check it out.

As Peter (montypower) mentioned years ago, it could be a safety issue having a glass panel with an aluminum frame on your hood in a head-on accident.

There is no glare with the Cascadia Jeep panel. Matte finish. Better than the hood before it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle