good news from Victron Energy

Alloy

I heard about this last year.

At the end of Aug I asked a dealer. "A 50A Orion is in the works, however nothing concrete nor any release date."

ramblinChet

No additional details right now and this information was given to me by Victron. Possible release by the end of this year or sometime during the 1st quarter of next year, at the latest.

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
It looks like 41 amps if charging a 14.6 lifepo4 or 41.5 amps with a14.4 volts lead acid. With a 12.6 li-ion battery bank it maxes out at 47 amps. close to the 600 watt max.

Jman99

If their 30amp units had to have fans added to get respectable output in realistic temperatures, and these units don't have any, then how can we expect 50amps in real world? There is only so much you can do with heatsinks without fans. Remember the average Joe has enough lithium now to keep a charger bogged down for hours. If they don't have huge fins with an easy way to mount a fan I'll pass.

ramblinChet

If their 30amp units had to have fans added to get respectable output in realistic temperatures, and these units don't have any, then how can we expect 50amps in real world? There is only so much you can do with heatsinks without fans. Remember the average Joe has enough lithium now to keep a charger bogged down for hours. If they don't have huge fins with an easy way to mount a fan I'll pass.

I guess you will have to pass since the new unit does not use any fans - it's 98% efficient.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
What are the main use cases for a DC to DC charger?

To properly charge a lithium battery bank from a vehicle's 12v alternator. Older battery technology (AGM, lead acid, etc.) was happy with a simple isolator setup but lithium is not.

DC to DC chargers also charge solar banks, thus simplifying electrical systems somewhat.

Trail Talk

Still no VE.Smart wireless networking capability with Victron’s “Smart” DC to DC chargers. Curious as to why they can’t?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman