Good price for 1993 FG140 SWB

BeratE

Observer
As the title says, I have found a 1993 4x4 FG that I am interested in looking at closer. Assuming it is in reasonable physical and mechanical shape, what do you think that a good price for it would be? Any reason not to be interested in one that old?

Thanks

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Any reason not to be interested in one that old?
Smallish engine and no turbo come to mind, but it all comes down to what you are after and what you want to do with it.

BeratE

Observer
Smallish engine and no turbo come to mind, but it all comes down to what you are after and what you want to do with it.

Well those are pretty good reasons. Would it be the 3.9 engine? Turbo is pretty important to me in the higher elevations

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Would it be the 3.9 engine?
I am not overly familiar with the US market, but here it would be.
Don't get me wrong... the 3.9 is a reliable engine. You could always fit an aftermarket turbo, assuming that the engine condition allowed it.

BeratE

Observer
Good to know, thanks. Any issues with the 5-stud hubs for reliability, and super single availability?

eMULe

I have a U.S. spec. 1993 Fuso. I think the 140 is a newer designation. Mine is called a FG439. It does have a 4D34 3.9 liter engine. It is turbocharged and intercooled. It was rated at 135 HP and 253 lb.-ft. torque. It is definitely not a "powerhouse". 55 MPH cruising, slower up the hills. With 5.71 geared differentials it will go a little over 60 MPH but the diesel is spinning pretty fast and fuel economy goes way down. It has a mechanical fuel injection system with a rudimentary Mitsubishi "pre-stroke" technology electronic ECU. The most recent models have features which complicate international travel. As far as price, it depends. Rusted, twisted piece of junk, or pristine example which sat in a firehouse or storage for 20 years with less than 20,000 mi.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Any issues with the 5-stud hubs for reliability, and super single availability?
There are numerous threads in this forum about super singles for FGs highlighting various issues with different rim manufacturers. Do a search and you will find them.
The choice of single also comes down to how much weight you intend to have over the rear axle.

BeratE

Observer
eMule, thanks for chiming in. I actually didn't get a model number for the truck from the seller, I only know that it is 4x4, so you are probably spot on with that. Good to know that it is turbo'd and intercooled, that make me much more interested. The truck has nearly 100k miles and seems to be in fair shape for its age. I am still trying to price it if you have a ballpark in mind, since you are in the US and might have a feel for the market.

eMULe

As far as price I didn't want to do your Fuso hunting a dis-service by quoting a number with virtually no information. 100,000 mi. isn't much The maintenance schedule in my owners book goes up to twice that. That's 5,000 mi. a year. However, if those miles were as a commercial snow plow in CO its a very different story. Is it a flatbed, dump truck, already a camper or cab and chassis?
I paid $22,500 for mine, new, in 1993 as a cab and chassis from Colorado Mack in Denver. That's factual but fairly useless information. You can buy a 1967 Ford Mustang for $1,500 but a one of a kind recently sold at an auction for $1,300,000.
I believe the 5 nut hubs are a standard 'Budd' 1 1/2" nut. Any place that works on trucks will have the right socket and square piece to undo the inner if you stick with duals. That might be important if you don't do your own work. I don't know why the switch was made to a 6 nut hub. Anybody know? I do know the nuts are larger because I was sent some by mistake. My intuition is that there isn't a strength problem with 5. The strength of 5 pieces of steel that size in single shear torqued to 350 lb-ft. could handle the shock load of one corner of a 6 ton truck.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I believe the 5 nut hubs are a standard 'Budd' 1 1/2" nut. Any place that works on trucks will have the right socket and square piece to undo the inner if you stick with duals.
I don't know why the switch was made to a 6 nut hub. Anybody know? I do know the nuts are larger because I was sent some by mistake.
The 6-lug wheel lug nuts are 41mm for the 'nut' and 21mm for the square Budd. The 5-lug wheel nuts are smaller.
I believe that the 12,500 GVW Fusos have 5-lug wheels and the 14,050 GVW Fuso have the 6-lug wheels, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm sure one of the Fuso-gurus will let us know for sure.

BeratE

Observer
eMule, your intuition is great. The one I am considering has done its 100k life as a snow plow here in Colorado, and that is what has me very much questioning their asking price. Would you feel that wit hits life as a plow, that it isn't worth dealing with the potential headaches?

Also, thanks all for the thoughts and info on the nuts, that helps.

dlh62c

Explorer
Would you feel that wit hits life as a plow, that it isn't worth dealing with the potential headaches?

Hard to say without looking at it.

Snow plowing can be hard on everything, front wheel bearings, suspensions, frames and drive train. Curb hits can do some real damage. I looked at FG4x4 that is used as a snow plow last week. The frame had been patched where it was broken. It looked like the frame had been weakened due to severe rusting, rather than a hard hit with something. I doubt there had been any flushing of the undercarriage between seasons of plowing snow.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
eMule, your intuition is great. The one I am considering has done its 100k life as a snow plow here in Colorado, and that is what has me very much questioning their asking price. Would you feel that wit hits life as a plow, that it isn't worth dealing with the potential headaches?

Also, thanks all for the thoughts and info on the nuts, that helps.

So where are the pictures?

eMULe

Again, hard to offer an opinion without more information. As said, hard on frame both mechanically and corrosion. I would worry about the entire drivetrain. We don't even know if it comes still set up for plowing or everything removed. If I needed a medium duty snow plow and it still had all the hydraulics, plow etc., I might buy it after inspection Whether its a snow plow, race car, or 4X4 camper its a lot cheaper to buy one somebody else already built (assume competent fabricator)....

kerry

Expedition Leader
It looks to be in pretty decent condition and the guy indicates he's open to offers. I'd go look at it. Inspect the frame closely. Could be a good deal. I'd show up with $7k cash. I think you might get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior