Good rivers to float down...

Speaker

Adventurer
111db said:
This one is on my list - just need to get another canoe and plan it out.

Verde River, AZ

There are different stretches of the Verde, and only one is really a "float". The recreational day stretch from White Bridge to Beasly is the easiest section, with some Class 1 gravel bars (small wave trains)... It takes about 5 hours to do without much paddling, but it's hardly something I'd recommend someone from out of state come to AZ for.

from Beasly on it's whitewater. Here's a photo from last weekend at 330cfs
TedVerdePreFallsSmall.jpg

At 3000cfs, the San Juan in Utah is a great float. From Sand island to Mexican Hat takes about 4 days. Hardest rapid is a long class 2, and usually at that flow, rapids are blown out. Unfortunately, you need a permit to float the Juan.

Last edited:
If you have the travel time, I highly recommend Ohio and Pennsylvania. A lot of the places we've been remind me of scenes from "African Queen" but without the massive rapids.

Yough..Yock...Yugho...arg! What's the name of that river in Pennsylvania? Sounds like "Yockagainee" but looks like alphabet soup?

-Sean

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
The Rio Chama, in NW New Mexico. I spent three day on this river in spring of 08. I does have some rapids, but they aren't bad. It is highly regulated by the BLM, and it is truly a great wilderness experiance. PM me for further details , I plan on making this a yearly trip, I loved it so much. OH YA.. on a side note.. although I am no longer selling these rafts.. I highly recommened checking out www.alpackaraft.com 4 lb packable rafts... these boats are great!

Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
Fireman78 said:
The Rio Chama, in NW New Mexico. I spent three day on this river in spring of 08. I does have some rapids, but they aren't bad. It is highly regulated by the BLM, and it is truly a great wilderness experiance. PM me for further details , I plan on making this a yearly trip, I loved it so much. OH YA.. on a side note.. although I am no longer selling these rafts.. I highly recommened checking out www.alpackaraft.com 4 lb packable rafts... these boats are great!

I agree the Chama is wonderful. It is a permitted river and permits are given out via a lottery system early in the year. It's dam controlled and I believe they typically only release on weekends.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
kerry said:
I agree the Chama is wonderful. It is a permitted river and permits are given out via a lottery system early in the year. It's dam controlled and I believe they typically only release on weekends.

True- however- you do NOT need a permit prior to May 1st. We went on the very last weekend in April and it was great. Full on spring runoff, no permits, no people at all. The ONLY issue was the nights were very, very cold. I plan on doing another (pre-May 1st trip) again, but I will be bringing my warmest sleeping bag this time. Anyone wanna go?

kerry

Expedition Leader
Man, did that post bring back a good memory! I ran the Chama in late April back in the early 80's, prior to permits and toilet regulations. It was freezing and when I woke up in the morning I had to take a crap real bad, but didn't want to get out of my warm sleeping bag. Finally I could wait no longer so I ran past the frozen water jugs and over to the slit trench we had dug the night before planning to drop a quick load and jump back into my sleeping bag.
As I squatted over the trench, the most marvelous miracle occurred. The previous night, one of my fellow river runners had cooked in a dutch oven and put his charcoal into the slit trench. It was still burning and the heat from the coals rose to warm my butt and turn that defecation into one of the most pleasant sensations that I will never forget. I could have stayed squatted there for a long time.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
kerry said:
Man, did that post bring back a good memory! I ran the Chama in late April back in the early 80's, prior to permits and toilet regulations. It was freezing and when I woke up in the morning I had to take a crap real bad, but didn't want to get out of my warm sleeping bag. Finally I could wait no longer so I ran past the frozen water jugs and over to the slit trench we had dug the night before planning to drop a quick load and jump back into my sleeping bag.
As I squatted over the trench, the most marvelous miracle occurred. The previous night, one of my fellow river runners had cooked in a dutch oven and put his charcoal into the slit trench. It was still burning and the heat from the coals rose to warm my butt and turn that defecation into one of the most pleasant sensations that I will never forget. I could have stayed squatted there for a long time.

It's the simple things in life that matter...........:sombrero:

KSJeep

Explorer
The Rio Grande, Big Bend NP is a great float trip, a few class I, lite Class II. We did a 4 day trip, the area and river is amazing. A must do if you get the chance.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Buffalo River in the Ozarks of Arkansas is one of the most beautiful rivers in the country. Depending on the time of year and rain fall they've had, you can go anywhere from very calm waters to Class 3 to 4 rapids.

There are a few different places to camp right on the water, both rustic and State Campgrounds with pit toilets and showers.

434449352_syNAZ-L-1.jpg

434449169_6s6xX-L-1.jpg

Then there is the White River in Arkansas. This beatuy is long, and well worth the float! Some of the best trout fishing around and as smooth as you could ask for.

Floated numerous sections of this and caught too many trout to remember right from our kayaks

434456400_qEfc9-L-1.jpg

434455665_gZ7bk-L-1.jpg

434457702_L77Gf-L-1.jpg

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Thanks Dave!

On our way to Yellowstone to work for the summer, we have to stop off in Northern Arkansas to cover an event.

We're also going to try and schedule a float back down the Buffalo. Probably one of my favorite rivers I've ever paddled

XJINTX

Explorer
Buffalo River, one of the few "never Dammed" rivers around :)

I have done some of it but all. Planning a week long stint as we speak :wings:

I recommend this to anyone and any level paddler or fisherman.

Dave

Explorer
Thanks Dave!

On our way to Yellowstone to work for the summer, we have to stop off in Northern Arkansas to cover an event.

We're also going to try and schedule a float back down the Buffalo. Probably one of my favorite rivers I've ever paddled

Next time you're near Southern Missouri, check out the Current River and the Eleven Point if you haven't already.

Eleven Point...

461439503_Fh7EF-L.jpg

461440364_jjU4b-L.jpg

461440615_9e3AK-L.jpg

Current...

461448707_UqmiD-L.jpg

KEENO

Adventurer
Jack's Fork

Don't forget the Jacks Fork of the Current River while up in Missouri. Much less travelled than the Current.

Beautiful!:)

KEENO

PS: Just got flooded off of the Buffalo River in Arkansas over the Easter Weekend. The river rose 11' Sunday (4-12-2009):Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears