Good Solar gen Power Stations for DC and light AC Truck Campers

Dave in AZ

This thread is to help consolidate info on what solar generators also called power stations, will work well for small truck popup campers who plan on using some light AC cooking tools (like Tune M1, OVRLND, AT Summit, GoFast, Topo Toppers, Project M, Hiatus, LonePeak, Super Pacific, etc.) Many power stations have poor DC outputs or solar inputs for this use or can't support normal light AC appliances used for cooking.

Please note, this thread is for the GOOD or BEST ONES, not ones you could maybe eke by on of you didn't use any AC power device ever and scrimp hard. Anything will work for that, so 500-800 wh mini stuff to recharge a phone and run LED will not be listed. The intent is someone setting up an actual camper system with this probably with a fuseblock, so more of an RV style. Self-built 2nd/house battery systems can be expanded, but power stations you are stuck with the limitations you buy, so this thread is for buying stuff that future proofs you in case you someday want to boil with a small electric kettle, say. Certainly you could minimalist camp with any power station, but this thread IS NOT FOR THAT.

(Again, If you don't ever want to run 1000-1500w AC, or a diesel heater+ lights +fans, then any 500wh or more small power station will work fine. Or for self built, a 100Ah 12v Lifepo4 battery, dc fuseblock, 1000w inverter, and dcdc with mppt charger.)

Here are the parameters:
1. Weight matters and payload is usually critical, driving towards 1000-2000Wh units.
2. Minimum wasted parasitic power loss, like just running invertor.
3. Good high Amp DC output, so that Max loads can be run off DC without invertor loss or noise.
4. Solar inputs, Able to accept broad solar voltage and amps, so series panels can be run for best efficiency early/late and many different panel options. At least 4x 100w panels, so 80v needed. 12v to 95v at least.
5. High solar charge wattage, to allow full recharge in 1 day, 3 hrs better. So 500w min for a 1500Wh station.
6. At least 1000Wh for two or three days use with no recharge power.
7. Multiple charge controllers able to use MPPT solar and car or battery. So 12v minimum. Lets you run 2 different portable solar panels, or a panel plus car alternator, or another battery used as an expansion feeding into the station.
8. Regulated dc output at least 12.5v, higher is better, 13.4 lets you charge other LiFePO4 batteries to > 80%. Also ensures ability to run diesel heaters.
9. DC ports must allow actual 30A use, so must have an XT60, an Anderson PowerPole, or an RV plug. Cigarette lighter only flows 10A, and 5521 or 5525 barrel style ports only do 5A. USB do less and USB-C not good to feed dc block.
10. Common loads expected to run concurrently are:
Maxxair type fan, 2-36W
LED lights, 10-75W
fridge/freezer 20-45W
Diesel heater 120w start
(20-40W running)
USB charging 100W.
Roughly 360W possible, thus 30A 12v dc source required.
11. LiFePO4 battery chemistey, not Lithium ion, for better recharge cycles and safer in probably jacked-up mobile setups. That cuts many Jackery products immediately.
12. > 2000w Inverter, higher surge desired. Lets you run most common AC camping accessories you might want to support, like 1500W electric kettle, 1800w induction burner, 700-1000w small microwave (get Inverter microwave!) It is possible to get a 1000w kettle, a 700w output microwave that uses 1150w (or an inverter one that can use 700 to 800 on lower settings), and a 1500W induction burner. The induction probably needs a bit more to actually run, so I would say that 1800W inverter is minimum to run that. But 1000w inverter would be doable otherwise.

Of all these, having a high amperage DC output is critical, and 30A is what I will use as a no-go amount. That gives 360W to 400W dc power, depending on output voltage. This will let you feed a dc fuseblock that you can connect and run the items listed in #10 above. You could turn off Maxxair when starting diesel heater to stay in limits etc.

Actual testing of these power stations output and input can be found here:
ReeWray Outdoors

Jasonoid

Hobotech

Recent build your own exactly as you want, box w all parts, and also a super DC multiport to add:

To get this started, here are the power stations I have identified as good:

1. Pecron e1500LFP. My choice. 1536Wh, 2200w Inverter, 800w solar at 32-95v and 12-25v, 2 mppt controllers, xt60 30A dc output at 13.4v.

2. Bluetti AC200Max

3. Bluetti ac200P, has 25A 12v dc
4. Oupes Mega2, 30A 12v anderson port.
5. Dabbson 2300plus. 30A 12v anderson.
NOT THESE ONES:

Not Bluetti AC200L, no good dc ports, no 30A
Not Bluetti AC180 or 180P, no 30A port, no good dc ports

Not Ecoflow Delta Pro, its 30a port doesn't work

Not Yeti Goal Zero1500x, it is Lithium ion NMC and 50v max charge inputs... old tech and expensive, much better out there!

NOT the Ecoflow Delta 2 Max, it only has a 10A cigar lighter output for 126W, and some 3A 5521 barrel plugs for 38W. The USB A and C all are 5v, or must negotiate with a smart chipped device to negotiate higher 12v, so not available to run LEDs, fans, etc.

NOT the Anker Solix F2000 i.e. Powerhouse 767. This station has almost no 12v DC outputs, just two cigarette lighter ports at 10A. All else are USB A and USB C, all 5v unless usb c negotiates higher voltage with a smart chipped device like cellphone. No dc barrel ports 5521 or 5525, no high amp dc port like xt60 or anderson. Additionally, it only has one input charge controller--so you can't charge from solar and from a car hookup at same time. That one input, an xt60, only lets you do 10A to 32v, so just 320W, or 20A from 33 to 60v, 1000W max. So you'll have issues charging it and have to swap input cords from car charger while driving to solar, and have to feed all your dc camper needs from just 2 cigarette lighters 20A total. And just running a diesel heater from a cigarette lighter port is very iffy and probe to throwing voltage errors-- they are a loose sloppy connection with high voltage drop, and have trouble supplying the required 10A startup current without dropping voltage too low.

NOT the Goal Zero Yeti 1500x. Expensive, old chemistry, 500 cycles vs 3000+ for competition, for 60% more $$! HOWEVER, MAAAYBE...
If you don't mind buying something for 60% more that lasts 1/6th the time, then the ports and functionality of the 1500x is actually excellent. And the company name and solid history is good.

Last edited:

Dave in AZ

If you have a power station that DOES meet specs listed above (30A dc, 2000W Inverter, 1000wh battery, 2 decent dc charge inputs etc), post about it below!

Or, if you have one that for sure DOESN'T do these basics, then post it as a "Don't buy this!" ;)

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Well, I'm very pleased with my Bluetti 200P, it's for the house if power goes out, otherwise for the trailer. Bought another Bluetti (????) 1200 watt gen set up for the boat and truck, much smaller, but handy.

The 200P puts out 12V, 25 amps running an Icom 706 HF/UHF transceiver @100 watts out, as a base rig, works fine. :)

Dave in AZ

I looked at Exoflow delta2 max. Unfortunately, it has weak 12v dc support, I would nor recommend it as the basis for a truck camper.eit doesn't have anything over 10A 126W to run to a dc fuseblock distribution, which isn't enough. You could try to jerry rig plugging 3 individual items into the 3 ports available--cigar 10A 126w, and 2x 5521 3A 38W.

The cigar lighter at 10A 12.6v 126w is the biggest supply, might work for a diesel heater...might not if voltate drops below 12.4 on startup, which can happen when it pulls 120w for the first 5min heating glowplug.

The USB are all 5v only except for smart usb pd laptop or phone that can talk to the port, so you can't use the USBs, any of them, to power LEDs or fans. 5521 barrels are 3A max for 38W only, can't run large LED light arrays, but you could plug 38w and less into it. But maybe maxxair on setting 7 and below. Nothing you can use to support a 12v distribution fuseblock :(

ataco

Glad to have found your post Dave. I am in a similar situation in terms of power requirements, keeping weight down and looking for a unit w/ a high output dc port. Just finished watching the Pecron e1500LFP review from Jasonoid and think this might be the unit for me. I noticed this was also your choice and was wondering if you had anything negative/short comings to say about the Pecron e1500LFP? Also wanted to mention that Jasonoid offers a 5% discount code (JASONE1500LFP) in the comments of his review for any one else interested purchasing this unit.

Dave in AZ

Glad to have found your post Dave. I am in a similar situation in terms of power requirements, keeping weight down and looking for a unit w/ a high output dc port. Just finished watching the Pecron e1500LFP review from Jasonoid and think this might be the unit for me. I noticed this was also your choice and was wondering if you had anything negative/short comings to say about the Pecron e1500LFP? Also wanted to mention that Jasonoid offers a 5% discount code (JASONE1500LFP) in the comments of his review for any one else interested purchasing this unit.
I like the e1500LFP from Pecron. Have used with 330w solar, and 130w, tested both inputs, worked great. The app works great without issues. One of the best things that no one has mentioned is this: the dc output is 13.2 to 13.4v!! This is fantastic, because
1. You can now use dc out to charge other lifepo4 batteries to 85 or 90%, allowing you to use a cheap 100Ah 12v battery as an inexpensive "expansion". You feed it in thru the 12v solar port when you want to charge Pecron, and you charge it from dc out when pecron is getting charge power. Tons of folks have done videos on using a battery to expand power stations.
2. Voltage drop becomes non issue! When running wires, you have to use 10 or 14 awg for 10A circuits longer than 6ft or such, to keep voltage drop within 3%. This is critical for diesel heaters, which will error out if voltage drops below 12.4 or so. But if your circuit is ok with up to 10% voltage drop, you can use much smaller awg16 for most dc truck camper circuits! And with Pecron supplying 13.4, you CAN take a 10% drop! I ran a Vevor diesel heater with thin supplied wire yesterday, voltage at its control head was 13.2v. This is a BIG THING, because TONS of power stations can't actually support diesel heaters at all!

However, I would tell you to look at the Oupes Mega2 linked above, the numbers are even better than Pecron. Don't know price. But yeah, super happy with Pecron e1500LFP. I like the xt60.

Roktman

This thread is to help consolidate info on what solar generators also called power stations, will work well for small truck popup campers who plan on using some light AC cooking tools (like Tune M1, OVRLND, AT Summit, GoFast, Topo Toppers, Project M, Hiatus, LonePeak, Super Pacific, etc.) Many power stations have poor DC outputs or solar inputs for this use or can't support normal light AC appliances used for cooking.

Please note, this thread is for the GOOD or BEST ONES, not ones you could maybe eke by on of you didn't use any AC power device ever and scrimp hard. Anything will work for that, so 500-800 wh mini stuff to recharge a phone and run LED will not be listed. The intent is someone setting up an actual camper system with this probably with a fuseblock, so more of an RV style. Self-built 2nd/house battery systems can be expanded, but power stations you are stuck with the limitations you buy, so this thread is for buying stuff that future proofs you in case you someday want to boil with a small electric kettle, say. Certainly you could minimalist camp with any power station, but this thread IS NOT FOR THAT.

(Again, If you don't ever want to run 1000-1500w AC, or a diesel heater+ lights +fans, then any 500wh or more small power station will work fine. Or for self built, a 100Ah 12v Lifepo4 battery, dc fuseblock, 1000w inverter, and dcdc with mppt charger.)

Here are the parameters:
1. Weight matters and payload is usually critical, driving towards 1000-2000Wh units.
2. Minimum wasted parasitic power loss, like just running invertor.
3. Good high Amp DC output, so that Max loads can be run off DC without invertor loss or noise.
4. Solar inputs, Able to accept broad solar voltage and amps, so series panels can be run for best efficiency early/late and many different panel options. At least 4x 100w panels, so 80v needed. 12v to 95v at least.
5. High solar charge wattage, to allow full recharge in 1 day, 3 hrs better. So 500w min for a 1500Wh station.
6. At least 1000Wh for two or three days use with no recharge power.
7. Multiple charge controllers able to use MPPT solar and car or battery. So 12v minimum. Lets you run 2 different portable solar panels, or a panel plus car alternator, or another battery used as an expansion feeding into the station.
8. Regulated dc output at least 12.5v, higher is better, 13.4 lets you charge other LiFePO4 batteries to > 80%. Also ensures ability to run diesel heaters.
9. DC ports must allow actual 30A use, so must have an XT60, an Anderson PowerPole, or an RV plug. Cigarette lighter only flows 10A, and 5521 or 5525 barrel style ports only do 5A. USB do less and USB-C not good to feed dc block.
10. Common loads expected to run concurrently are:
Maxxair type fan, 2-36W
LED lights, 10-75W
fridge/freezer 20-45W
Diesel heater 120w start
(20-40W running)
USB charging 100W.
Roughly 360W possible, thus 30A 12v dc source required.
11. LiFePO4 battery chemistey, not Lithium ion, for better recharge cycles and safer in probably jacked-up mobile setups. That cuts many Jackery products immediately.
12. > 2000w Inverter, higher surge desired. Lets you run most common AC camping accessories you might want to support, like 1500W electric kettle, 1800w induction burner, 700-1000w small microwave (get Inverter microwave!) It is possible to get a 1000w kettle, a 700w output microwave that uses 1150w (or an inverter one that can use 700 to 800 on lower settings), and a 1500W induction burner. The induction probably needs a bit more to actually run, so I would say that 1800W inverter is minimum to run that. But 1000w inverter would be doable otherwise.

Of all these, having a high amperage DC output is critical, and 30A is what I will use as a no-go amount. That gives 360W to 400W dc power, depending on output voltage. This will let you feed a dc fuseblock that you can connect and run the items listed in #10 above. You could turn off Maxxair when starting diesel heater to stay in limits etc.

Actual testing of these power stations output and input can be found here:
ReeWray Outdoors

Jasonoid

Hobotech

Recent build your own exactly as you want, box w all parts, and also a super DC multiport to add:

To get this started, here are the power stations I have identified as good:

1. Pecron e1500LFP. My choice. 1536Wh, 2200w Inverter, 800w solar at 32-95v and 12-25v, 2 mppt controllers, xt60 30A dc output at 13.4v.

2. Bluetti AC200Max

3. Bluetti ac200P, has 25A 12v dc
4. Oupes Mega2, 30A 12v anderson port.
NOT THESE ONES:

Not Bluetti AC200L, no good dc ports, no 30A
Not Bluetti AC180 or 180P, no 30A port, no good dc ports

Not Ecoflow Delta Pro, its 30a port doesn't work

Not Yeti Goal Zero1500x, it is Lithium ion NMC and 50v max charge inputs... old tech and expensive, much better out there!

NOT the Ecoflow Delta 2 Max, it only has a 10A cigar lighter output for 126W, and some 3A 5521 barrel plugs for 38W. The USB A and C all are 5v, or must negotiate with a smart chipped device to negotiate higher 12v, so not available to run LEDs, fans, etc.
I just got the ANKER solix f 2000 767 spec’s out I think it’s best one out there , for me anyway ,haha , plus I got it on sale, got it to power my truck and hiatus truck camper

Stevigee

I'm building a minimal campervan and I want to use a solar gen to power my needs so I can also use as a limited home backup system. 12v fridge, LED lights, max fan, charging ports, water pump ?, ARB air compressor ?, maybe diesel heater. Started looking and thought the Goal Zero 1500x was a good choice because of the GZ alternator easy connect fast charge setup but noticed the old battery type. I was also thinking about the Ecoflow delta 2 max after watching the videos with the Victron DC Dc convertor for fast alternator charging. Now after reading this thread I'm not sure which one or if I understand what to look for in a unit that will fit my needs. The Pecron has a great price point and if it can do the job that would be great. So with the Pecron how do you connect fast alternator charging can you connect the Victron dc dc convertor also can you connect fast charging and 200 wt. solar charging at once? also where and how would you connect fuse box, can you connect fuse box with one connection? Going to check out the Oupes mega 2

Last edited:

Dave in AZ

I'm building a minimal campervan and I want to use a solar gen to power my needs so I can also use as a limited home backup system. 12v fridge, LED lights, max fan, charging ports, water pump ?, ARB air compressor ?, maybe diesel heater. Started looking and thought the Goal Zero 1500x was a good choice because of the GZ alternator easy connect fast charge setup but noticed the old battery type. I was also thinking about the Ecoflow delta 2 max after watching the videos with the Victron DC Dc convertor for fast alternator charging. Now after reading this thread I'm not sure which one or if I understand what to look for in a unit that will fit my needs. The Pecron has a great price point and if it can do the job that would be great. So with the Pecron how do you connect fast alternator charging can you connect the Victron dc dc convertor also can you connect fast charging and 200 wt. solar charging at once? also where and how would you connect fuse box, can you connect fuse box with one connection? Going to check out the Oupes mega 2
The Pecron e1500LFP is on sale this week for $799. Been happy with mine after building and 2 weeks use in popup with lights, fan, diesel heater.

Reread my 1st post, I think I describe pretty well what is needed for a power station to be good for a truck camper solution. For single plugin to a dc fuseblock that feeds everything, you need it to have a 30A 12vdc port like Pecron and Oupes.

Also, don't be confused by marketing terms like "alternator fast charging" or "dual charge!", just look at the cold hard input specs. A good one will have multiple inputs with SEPARATE CHARGE CONTROLLERS, so it can take several inputs at once. Watch a test review video on the sites I linked, so you can see which ones actually DO. For instance, the Pecron I happen to have has an MPPT charge controller that takes 32 to 95V input, up to 15A and/or 700W. Then it has another 12 to 25v input, 100W max, that you can plug into your car cigar lighter OR a solar panel, and get "fast alternator charging". It's just a dc input. But yes, you for sure want 2 dc inputs, so you can charge from 2 sources at once, be it solar or car 12v source or another battery fed into there acting as a homegrown cheap battery extension etc.

The alternator dc to dc controllers, like Redarc bcdc25 or Victron or Renogy, are actually designed to solve a different problem-- directly charging a 2nd "house" battery, usually lithium now, from your alternator. They separate the house and starter batteries so you don't drain starter, and they protect alternator from voltage spikes from huge lithium draws that get instantly cut off from their Battery Management System maybe, and they limit alternator current the house battery can draw to 25 or 40 or 50 amps so you don't burn out your alternator. None of those functions is needed for a solar generator i.e. power station, because the power station alread HAS its own input charge controllers, the mppt solar ones, that accept widely ranged dc voltage and self-limit to some amperage and total wattage. 15A and 700w for the Pecron e1500LFP on the bigger input. And when you feed it from an ignition controlled cigar plug, the power automatically gets shut off there when car is off, so you don't drain the battery. Most all modern cars turn off dc power to cigar plugs when engine is off.

Prices are coming down, and new power stations are coming out monthly. Go to Hobotech and ReeWrayOutdoors and Jasonoid youtube channels and watch recent power station reviews, so you don't buy some old way-surpassed turd like the Goalzero 1500.

But if you don't want to do that current research, then that's exactly why I made this thread! Go back to 1st post and look at the list I made of good vs bad ones, and buy accordingly.

Hope that clears some things up for you and is helpful?

Dave in AZ

Anker Powerhouse 767 aka Solix F2000.
NOT THIS ONE
NOT the Anker Solix F2000 i.e. Powerhouse 767. This station has almost no 12v DC outputs, just two cigarette lighter ports at 10A. All else are USB A and USB C, all 5v unless usb c negotiates higher voltage with a smart chipped device like cellphone. No dc barrel ports 5521 or 5525, no high amp dc port like xt60 or anderson. Additionally, it only has one input charge controller--so you can't charge from solar and from a car hookup at same time. That one input, an xt60, only lets you do 10A to 32v, so just 320W, or 20A from 33 to 60v, 1000W max. So you'll have issues charging it and have to swap input cords from car charger while driving to solar, and have to feed all your dc camper needs from just 2 cigarette lighters 20A total. And just running a diesel heater from a cigarette lighter port is very iffy and probe to throwing voltage errors-- they are a loose sloppy connection with high voltage drop, and have trouble supplying the required 10A startup current without dropping voltage too low.
It has charge issues you can only do solar or AC at one time and it has issues clicking back and forth when both connected.

Basically this is intended as a house appliance backup, maybe also plug an RV in with an existing tt-30 120v system. It is not designed well at all for use in a small dc based truck camper.

Dave in AZ

Maaaybe....
Goal Zero Yeti 1500x
Negatives
1. The huge negative: older Lithium Ion chemistry. Can only do 500 charge cycles, vs. 3000 plus for LiFePO4 (lithium iron phosphate). Is also thez battery type that can have runaway thermal issues and burst into flame if damaged or charged incorrectly, while Lifepo4 is completely safe.
2. Expensive, and you're buying old tech that lasts 1/6th the time of competition. $1300 vs $800 for same capacity lifepo4 system from Pecron, thats a lot of $$ for a name...

I don't want to buy something I can only use 500 times then throw away, at the same price for a safer one I can use 3000-6000 times!

Positives:
1. This has lots of great ports, inputs and outputs, great 30A 12v dc port, 2x dc input ports for solar or car or charing from a 120v brick charger.
2. Heavily leans towards dc output vs 120v ac, which is what you want for a truck camper. Has a ton of good amperage outputs:
  • 2x 6mm: 120W Max (12V, up to 10A), regulated
  • 1x Car Port: 160W Max (12V, up to 13A), regulated
  • 2x High Power Port: 360W Max (12V, up to 30A), regulated; Front face & under lid
3. Company name and longevity-- established company, look likely to be around if you need warranty support, unlike many of the cheaper options. But at $1300 vs $800 for same capacity lifepo4 system from Pecron, thats a lot of $$ for a name...

Last edited:

Surffj62

Youre right - lots of new stations coming out every day!
I have the Ecoflow delta 2 and it could not power a diesel heater past start up. Im not 100% if it was the cord being too long or a power issue. Other than that its been ok- I also bought a battery and dropped it into the "kick ass" battery box with DCDC charger and have been happy with that. It can run everything but does not have a battery heater for charging when cold. Figue I will run both -ECO for AC some DC and kick ass for fridge and staying in truck full time.

Drifter2023

Thanks for this discussion, it's helpful and I agree with most of your assumptions.

Does the APP for the e1500LFP from Pecron work via Bluetooth also? What do you think about the app?

Dave in AZ

Thanks for this discussion, it's helpful and I agree with most of your assumptions.

Does the APP for the e1500LFP from Pecron work via Bluetooth also? What do you think about the app?
The app does work with bluetooth. Info on app is good. However, I have had the app fail to connect or find tthe thing several times.

Basically I end up pressing dc and ac button together to reset the wifi so it is on and findable. However, then you must be on a wifi network you know password for, to link. After that, they will connect via bluetooth again. I am not very happy with the reliability of app, but luckily if it doesnt work, you can do everything with buttons on front--there are no real extra settings, once you set stuff like autopower off time, display brightness etc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online