Good Solar gen Power Stations for DC and light AC Truck Campers

Hodor

Dave! Thanks for posting all this research, it's amazing we have the ability to communicate our findings in open forum like this because you just saved me so much friggin time buddy. Many thanks to you.

I'm looking at the mega 3 and 2x240 solar panels for my 6.5' Silverado Hardsider build. Vs the mega 2 is looks like having the additional Watt hours can be beneficial here in the pnw where I might camp under the trees for several days. I plan to eventually ad a dc-dc charger and 2 more lifepo batteries mounted in frame to extend capabilities but that will be flatbed time down the road a ways. There is a big sea of new tech and newer companies to wade through in researching here and I'm super grateful this info has been shared!

royston.vasey

Thanks for directing me to your thread Dave, great info, now I know a lot more about solar generators! The oupes and the pecron are not available in the UK ( we get more like a 3rd world country every day) so will be looking at the others- also like the look of the module in the video- also not in uk , but have found a similar one by licitti

MiamiC70

Maaaybe....
Goal Zero Yeti 1500x
Negatives
1. The huge negative: older Lithium Ion chemistry. Can only do 500 charge cycles, vs. 3000 plus for LiFePO4 (lithium iron phosphate). Is also thez battery type that can have runaway thermal issues and burst into flame if damaged or charged incorrectly, while Lifepo4 is completely safe.
2. Expensive, and you're buying old tech that lasts 1/6th the time of competition. $1300 vs $800 for same capacity lifepo4 system from Pecron, thats a lot of $$ for a name...

I don't want to buy something I can only use 500 times then throw away, at the same price for a safer one I can use 3000-6000 times!

Positives:
1. This has lots of great ports, inputs and outputs, great 30A 12v dc port, 2x dc input ports for solar or car or charing from a 120v brick charger.
2. Heavily leans towards dc output vs 120v ac, which is what you want for a truck camper. Has a ton of good amperage outputs:
  • 2x 6mm: 120W Max (12V, up to 10A), regulated
  • 1x Car Port: 160W Max (12V, up to 13A), regulated
  • 2x High Power Port: 360W Max (12V, up to 30A), regulated; Front face & under lid
3. Company name and longevity-- established company, look likely to be around if you need warranty support, unlike many of the cheaper options. But at $1300 vs $800 for same capacity lifepo4 system from Pecron, thats a lot of $$ for a name...
Seems like they are updating their power stations to LiFePo4 with recent albeit smaller units. It is kind of ridiculous that in 2024 Goal Zero has not fully updated line especially, given their “lofty” opinions of their priced reflected in pricing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior