good theory as to how it missed the mark.

zimm

Expedition Leader

from design process to being overbuilt this fell is preaching to the preacher on these issues. the UK cutoff of 3500 pounds is what didn't occur to me, and i think that limitation drove the whole package.

use an aluminum v6 -100kilo
use IFS/IRS with Al arms -100kilo
that styer frame/body design has to be 100kilo over.
cant ditch the swing door as it holds the tire.

but there's the 300 kilo needed for it be the real 1 tonne truck it was supposed to be.. or close. its a guesstimate.

That all having been said... I'm betting a spring upgrade is all thats really needed and the real weight rating could be 500kilo higher, they way they built this thing. In places that dont check ya, i wouldnt be concerned about being over.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
I didn’t bother with the video since it doesn’t affect me personally. There has been chatter from Australia they they may be able to get a GVWR increase certified.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
the UK cutoff of 3500 pounds is what didn't occur to me, and i think that limitation drove the whole package.
3500kg is the cut off for a car licence in the UK and EU, so they would have built to that. Anymore than that and it's a C1 licence (upto 7500kg) commercial licence. There is also some bits and pieces around payload that then makes it dual purpose or commercial (which has been highlighted in another video).
There has been chatter from Australia they they may be able to get a GVWR increase certified
That's not a surprise, the Aussies do tend to do a lot of GVM upgrades on things, the max on a car licence is 4500kg so there is a bit of a leeway there.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
Apparently INEOS raised the GVM to 3550 for Australia, and it requires bigger/brighter Cat 6 side indicators. So all Australian vehicles will have standard indicators removed and replaced before they can be registered.

IMG_4503.jpeg

Scott Brady

Founder
In this photo, we are about as heavy as we got in the first leg to Tanzania. I was in Malawi and there was limited (or no) fuel through most of the country. So I had 40L of petrol in cans and another 36L in the Giant Loop bladders. Almost 280 lbs on the roof (I put the water down in the footwells). It seems to sit ok. I wish there had been a scale available, but I was still a few hundred KGs under GVM, even with me in it.

IMG_6785.JPG

A.J.M

Explorer
It certainly missed the mark here in the U.K.
Which given the company boss lived here, is rather embarrassing.

It’s too heavy to gain commercial tax benefits so it’s a utility truck that can’t be used as a utility truck…
You need a payload of one tonne for that.
The Hilux, Dmax, Ranger and even the new Defender 90/110 commercials all meet it.

Probably explains that so far, they have sold 583 in the U.K., 62 of them are on sale on autotrader, many with low/delivery miles.

Too early to call it a sales flop, but it’s definitely not a strong opening for it.

zimm

Expedition Leader

It’s too heavy to gain commercial tax benefits so it’s a utility truck that can’t be used as a utility truck…
The Hilux, Dmax, Ranger and even the new Defender 90/110 commercials all meet it.

Probably explains that so far, they have sold 583 in the U.K., 62 of them are on sale on autotrader, many with low/delivery miles.

Too early to call it a sales flop, but it’s definitely not a strong opening for it.
Zoiks.

nickw

Adventurer

Serious question - in the UK, is the IG seen as an advantage over the current D90/110? What is the general sentiment?

I know here in the US we wax on about solid axle overland SUV's but you guys have had those for years - not sure the IG would scratch that itch in the UK the same way it would in the US.

nickw

Adventurer
Every new muscle car/offroader/EV that comes out with a “first edition “- and they all do the last few years, is selling out quick. That’s who these buyers are- I doubt it has any long term sales here.
Agreed - lots of "investors", it was impossible to get a Bronco when first released but I see a LOT for sale now here locally. Time will tell, I think the service program is going to kill them if it's not executed properly. I think it's a cool truck, I'd drive one if it was priced right but all that said if it was a PITA to get work done I'd have no use for it.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
Every new muscle car/offroader/EV that comes out with a “first edition “- and they all do the last few years, is selling out quick. That’s who these buyers are- I doubt it has any long term sales here.
But the Gren is not a "first edition". In fact, USA gets the '24MY vs the '23MY supplied to all previous markets. And you can order one today.

A.J.M

Explorer
Honestly, most people I’ve spoke to.
Don’t really see the point in it.
Even the car magazines that were keen to see it launched have given it 3-3.5 out of 5 stars on reviews.

It’s almost £70,000 for a car that can’t actually be used for the purpose it’s maker claimed it would be for.

Even Ineos themselves on the run up to it being launched couldn’t give potential owners a straight and honest answer about commercial use bar “ it will be fine, maybe, we think. Please buy it anyway”
So loads of orders got cancelled.

Why spend so much money on a car that can’t meet the well known and established rules for the tax breaks.

Now in the USA you’ll have different rules etc so that won’t be a worry and will explain the better sales of it.
The question is when those 7000 potential sales are done, will they be able to sell more. Or is it like Lotus who had a busy first year with a model in the USA, but once everyone who wanted one, got one. No one else cared.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears