good theory as to how it missed the mark.

85_Ranger4x4

In 5+ years time who is going to be pulling an engine out of a Gren, and who has the knowledge base/tribal knowledge to do it?

Possibly the same sort of folks that buy LS swap kits for their Rovers...

On a more serious note, BMW does have kind of a fan following, I suspect at least some intel will be available in 5 years. The engine isn't exactly brand new. And not to be judgmental... based on the pricing I doubt the people that bought them new will care much.

nickw

Adventurer
Possibly the same sort of folks that buy LS swap kits for their Rovers...

On a more serious note, BMW does have kind of a fan following, I suspect at least some intel will be available in 5 years. The engine isn't exactly brand new. And not to be judgmental... based on the pricing I doubt the people that bought them new will care much.
LS Swap kit is well known and is a "thing" with stand alone harnesses, motor mounts, etc. Engine isn't new but in this application it is, workarounds, fixes, etc all exist for most rigs.

Does anybody know about maintenance schedules or manuals for the IG yet? They must exist....

But other concerns like rear timing chain and Vanos either require special tools or removal of interior panels on the BMW cars....who knows with the Gren. On a car with IFS is one thing, working around a solid axle could be way easier or way harder.....

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
Found this on the IG forum which I thought was interesting and what I've brought up several times, the "KEY" which was hailed as a simple old school solution seems like it is simply an adaptation of the push button and not a real operational key in the historical sense.

From the other forum:

"I relate the Grenadier key positions to a standard start button: 1st position = 1st press = power ON. 2nd position (crank) = 2nd press = start. Low battery voltage and below-par software may have kept the start circuit latched when the engine failed to start.

I don't know why Ineos bothered with an old-school ignition when the ECU is primarily looking for two signals from a button. It's a retro adaptation they didn't need to implement."

It's that sort of 'retro' tomfoolery that has bugged me, retro styled, retro marketed but it's simply rebadged BMW software/electrics.

I also think it's hilarious that one of the most popular threads on that site in the first 5 pages is one about the Bellstaff jacket you were supposed to get with the rig....if that tells you anything :)

Last edited:

Copple

Everyone has their own perceptions and opinions about how things should be. In the end I’m glad they were able to bring it to the States and I’ve enjoyed driving the Grenadier thus far. Also not ashamed that I also want the jacket…

I’d also say that most forums, be they cars, watches, guns, bourbon, etc… have the same threads. You could replace the subject of most postings and they’re near identical with the same bantering back and forth.

nickw

Adventurer
Everyone has their own perceptions and opinions about how things should be. In the end I’m glad they were able to bring it to the States and I’ve enjoyed driving the Grenadier thus far. Also not ashamed that I also want the jacket…

I’d also say that most forums, be they cars, watches, guns, bourbon, etc… have the same threads. You could replace the subject of most postings and they’re near identical with the same bantering back and forth.
The only other forums I'm part of are dirtbike and MTB forums and it's much more technical and practically based, I guess I can say the same for the LC forum I used to be part of (IH8mud).....specs, ease of maintenance, much more hands on and spec based. Never been on a watch, bourbon or car forum (other than this site)...

Was not trying to 'shame' anybody - it was just a funny observation, there are not many threads on that forum about axle dimensions, spline counts, transfer case strength, maintenance practicality, etc. Maybe that is a hang-up I have - I want the rig to perform how it was marketed, I want to understand the mechanical specifications vs looking the part and need to understand what I am getting myself into.

Last edited:

Copple

There’s actually quite a few in-depth discussions, just have to look at some of the sub-forums. Lots of info on the dual battery (pros and cons of the Ineos setup), lockers and lots of info on the electrical connections (both inside and on the roof). There’s a lot of excitement on the Grenadier forum and it’s one of the best I’ve been a part of for courteous in depth knowledge and dialogue.

But a lot of people have only just received their cars here in the US so some trivial threads as well. I’d wager that Grenadier owners are more likely to use their car for its intended purpose than other makes/models.

nickw

Adventurer
There’s actually quite a few in-depth discussions, just have to look at some of the sub-forums. Lots of info on the dual battery (pros and cons of the Ineos setup), lockers and lots of info on the electrical connections (both inside and on the roof). There’s a lot of excitement on the Grenadier forum and it’s one of the best I’ve been a part of for courteous in depth knowledge and dialogue.

But a lot of people have only just received their cars here in the US so some trivial threads as well. I’d wager that Grenadier owners are more likely to use their car for its intended purpose than other makes/models.
As a comparison on the IH8mud (Landcruiser forum) they are already discussing R&P size, axle dimensions and other mechanical components of the new LC/GX and it's not even out yet...just as a comparison, among many other tech discussions:

If the new LC's were out on the street like the IG's, guarantee somebody would have pulled axle shaft and disassembled diffs to figure out dimensions if not supplied by IG Specs which is strange.

And more likely to use as intended - define "intended". I'd disagree though, luxury vehicle, big $, minimal aftermarket support, difficult service locations. I remember guys buying brand new LC 100's and 80's and taking them to Moab to run trails back in the day...there was a big thread on IH8mud complaining about IFS on 100 so a guys proceeded to drive to snot out of this to prove them all wrong.

Copple

I’m not trying to debate much further, but if you care to look at the Grenadier forum everything you mention has already been discussed ad nauseam. We all fortunate enough to be able to buy what we want and what suits our lifestyle. I see more Jeeps/Broncos that are lifted with big tires and all the stuff that looks cool that will never go off the pavement. Which is perfectly fine. One could make the same argument about sports cars that are tricked out that will never see the track.

For what it’s worth I actually like the new Lexus and Land Cruiser. I’d need the Lexus for its towing capacity over the LC. I’m also still excited about my silly Belstaff jacket.

MontySquareo

Tbh the BMW drivetrain isn't a huge concern. They're pretty reliable and there's lots of information about how to fix them on YouTube. BMWs are also not that hard to take apart. You just have to remove a lot of extra stuff to get to something that should be easy like a starter.

I work on BMWs pretty often, i think I know what I'm talking about.

86scotty

Cynic
Tbh the BMW drivetrain isn't a huge concern.

Same, couldn't agree more. If I were to worry about something made in Britain it would be the electronics/wiring a lot sooner than a drivetrain made by BMW. I also have lots of experience under the hood of BMW straight 6's and have found them generally to be a joy to work on. More bolts turned perhaps but less questionable design and definitely less (literal) cuts and scratches.

However, PM cannot be avoided on a BMW. For me, long trips in a Grenadier would include a box of repair parts.

nickw

Adventurer
I’m not trying to debate much further, but if you care to look at the Grenadier forum everything you mention has already been discussed ad nauseam. We all fortunate enough to be able to buy what we want and what suits our lifestyle. I see more Jeeps/Broncos that are lifted with big tires and all the stuff that looks cool that will never go off the pavement. Which is perfectly fine. One could make the same argument about sports cars that are tricked out that will never see the track.

For what it’s worth I actually like the new Lexus and Land Cruiser. I’d need the Lexus for its towing capacity over the LC. I’m also still excited about my silly Belstaff jacket.
Do you have a link to threads about axles on the IG forum? If so please share!

*Edit - If this is the Forum you are talking about - not much substance or any real tech related discussions that I can find:

The only promising thread "Transfer case tech discussion" has zero replies.....

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
Tbh the BMW drivetrain isn't a huge concern. They're pretty reliable and there's lots of information about how to fix them on YouTube. BMWs are also not that hard to take apart. You just have to remove a lot of extra stuff to get to something that should be easy like a starter.

I work on BMWs pretty often, i think I know what I'm talking about.

Same, couldn't agree more. If I were to worry about something made in Britain it would be the electronics/wiring a lot sooner than a drivetrain made by BMW. I also have lots of experience under the hood of BMW straight 6's and have found them generally to be a joy to work on. More bolts turned perhaps but less questionable design and definitely less (literal) cuts and scratches.

However, PM cannot be avoided on a BMW. For me, long trips in a Grenadier would include a box of repair parts.
No concerns with Transmission? What else uses the specific transmission the Gren uses?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The TFL video didn’t do the gren any favors. Lockers slow to engage, traction control wasn’t very good either. Two windshield cracks in first 2k miles. It looks cool- I guess that’s what it has going for it- I don’t see any advantage over cheaper LC250 or a cheaper Lexus.

85_Ranger4x4

The TFL video didn’t do the gren any favors. Lockers slow to engage, traction control wasn’t very good either. Two windshield cracks in first 2k miles. It looks cool- I guess that’s what it has going for it- I don’t see any advantage over cheaper LC250 or a cheaper Lexus.

Everybody wants the old school flat and nearly vertical windshield but seem to never acknowledge how much easier it is for them to crack.

4xOverland had a interesting interview and then an equally interesting follow up video.

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
I'm still IG curious....cross shopping it with LX600 and GX550, so do get a lot out of some of these discussions (at times). Not trying to be negative but I guess it's just where my mind goes. Over on the IG forum I saw this, very good quote that I think does a good job of summing it up and why the polarization between some people:

"Finally, and importantly, I really like the Grenadier as a new vehicle, but I want to love it like an old one"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78