Google Android software and hardware: Post here

haven

Expedition Leader
ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700 coming soon

ASUS is ready to deliver a new model in its popular Transformer tablet line. The Transformer Infinity TF700 should ship in mid-July. Pricing will start at $500 for a WiFi model with 32 GB storage. A GPS chip is built in to all Transformer Infinity models.

The embargo on reviews of the Transformer Infinity has been lifted, and several sites have posted their impressions. Here are links to a few:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/25/asus-transformer-pad-infinity-tf700-review/
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6036/asus-transformer-pad-infinity-tf700t-review
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2582...w_stylish_highperformance_android_tablet.html

The Transformer Infinity upgrades the Transformer Prime TF200 (introduced in December 2011) in several ways:
-- processor bump from 1.3 to 1.6 GHz
-- screen resolution increased from 1280 x 800 to 1900 x 1200 pixels
-- WiFi and GPS signal issues experienced by Prime owners have been resolved

ASUS makes an optional keyboard dock that "transforms" the tablet into a reasonable facsimile of a notebook. The dock offers a full physical keyboard and multi-touch enabled touchpad, plus full size USB and SD card slots.

The optional Transformer Dock will cost $150. The new Transformer Infinity will work with the Dock designed to work with the Transformer Prime TF200.

haven

Expedition Leader
Interesting how several reviewers are already saying the new Windows RT tablets (including Microsoft Surface) will make better substitutes for netbook PCs than Android machines will. ASUS has shown a Windows RT tablet based on the Transformer design, so we will be able to compare the two operating systems directly when Windows RT ships this Fall. My guess is that Android devices will be $100 to $200 cheaper than Windows RT, given comparable hardware features.

We already know Microsoft will make a version of the Office suite (Word, Excel, etc) for RT. What other PC software will have an RT version by the release date this Fall?

haven

Expedition Leader
Google programmers tried hard to speed up and smooth out the user interface in 4.1. This new fluidity makes Android 4.1 a good choice for older phones. However, it's anyone's guess how long the cell phone carriers will take to release their custom versions of 4.1. You may never see 4.1 on an older phone purchased through a cell phone contract.

The Google Nexus phones run Android without any carrier customization. This might make the purchase of a used Nexus S phone a cheap way to get Jelly Bean on your phone. There are versions of the Nexus S for AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile in USA.

Cody1771

Explorer
Can anyone suggest an app with photo hosting that allows mass uploading for storage? Pref in original formatting for editing later on (ie I want to use it as online hard drive)

ThomD

Explorer
Can anyone suggest an app with photo hosting that allows mass uploading for storage? Pref in original formatting for editing later on (ie I want to use it as online hard drive)

I use Smugmug. I can upload with either the Smugmug app or Just Pictures!

haven

Expedition Leader
1SALEADAY is offering a factory refurbished Toshiba Thrive 10" tablet for $200. http://1saleaday.com/?CID=168142&AFID=178621
Refurbs usually cost $250 to $290.

The Thrive ships with Android 3.2, but Toshiba just announced a free upgrade to Android 4.0.

The Thrive has 1 GB RAM and 16 GB storage, plus a microSD slot for further memory expansion. The Thrive has front and rear cameras, and a GPS chip.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Well, I guess I was the only one to grab one? I like it. Nice size for my big hands. Loaded all the apps I need. Works fast and much easy to view than the phone :) I am not quite sure how this will fit in my overall plan, but it does fill a void that I had.
Thanks for the "heads-up".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears