GoogleEarth on iPhone

dustboy

Explorer
This is cool and all, but when will I be able to use gps info without the network? e.g, I could download a map of an area before the trip, then the iphone works like any other GPS receiver. Anybody seen news on that?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Tom-Tom and Telenav are supposed to have a regular navigation apps that for some reason is not out. Turn-by-turn was not included in the v2.2 update, so I dunno. The Telenav app was supposed to take about 5GB of memory, so I assume that means it would be cell system indifferent for the data.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I have been using the Ipod Touch and really like it. Many places have Wifi and the Google Maps program works great for directions. Pull into a Motel parking lot and make your search.
It does not have a GPS receiver like the Iphone, but I am also not paying for a service like the phone.

The Touch can use all the same apps.

Personally, I like the Google mapping program it came with better than the Google Earth app.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I installed it on my iPod touch. Very slick, although it is a bit choppy sometimes.

I'm like Henry too... on the road I swing by a hotel parking lot or truck stop, turn on the iPod touch, get my email and surf a bit. It's turned out to be a great travel tool.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
The Touch was an anniversary present from my wife and it saved me money the first day. I went to the parts store and found the part I wanted for a few dollars more than their competitor. I asked if they price match , and they did as long as I could bring in the advertisement. I asked if they had internet access, they did not. I was able to get a signal from the church across the road and brought up the website with the part listed at a lower price. They thought that was so cool they knocked off another 5%.

I can not count the number of times this thing has come in handy. Finding a last minute motel in Green river was one that sure made the wife happy.

Sorry to drag this off track...back to our regularly scheduled thread ;)

dustboy

Explorer
Yes, I'm suspecting either AT&T or Apple has an interest in such a feature and is forcing TomTom and Telenav to sit on it. And to that I say BOOOOO! I would pay a good chunk of money to get North American maps loaded on my iPhone.
The technology is there, it's proven by Google Earth and Maps, but the lawyers had to get in the way as usual.

dustboy

Explorer
Update!

Slowly but surely (and don't call me shirley) our 3G iPhones will eliminate the need for a handheld GPS...I found aviation and marine navigation apps on the iTunes store but they're lagging on the land based stuff.

This is one step closer, as it works without network. It doesn't have loadable maps (yet) but for $2.99 and a good paper map (which I prefer anyway because I can see the big picture all at once) you can figure out where you're going.

I haven't tried it yet out-of-bounds, but for the price it's worth a shot (or try the free version with less waypoints).

http://www.motionx.com/home/support/gps/

There are several other apps available that I'd be interested to hear your experience about.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998