Goose Gear Universal Plate install - 2003 Montero

ChrisCosta416

I recently picked up the new Goose Gear Universal Plate. The size that was able to fit was - 38-3/8" wide x 30" deep. I assume the size will also fit Gen 2 and 2.5. My plan is to create a modular storage area out of Goose Gear drawer's and for anyone wanting to do the same, here is a write up on how to do it.

First things first. You will need to remove the Third Row seats and you can find a video of it here.

Once the third row seats are removed. Unbolt the 3 (Child seat?) anchor latches using a 13mm ratchet.

2018-09-01 16.44.29.jpg

Once all 3 are removed re-use the brass spacers and plastic washers and place them on the exposed hole of the latches you just un-bolted

2018-09-01 17.21.01.jpg

With that out of the way we can begin drilling into the Plate system.

I mounted the plate 3 1/2 inches away from the plastic trim where the carpet to the rear cargo area begins.

Here are the measurements I used (Horizontally, take a ruler and run it along the width of the plate system. Begin making marks on the plate system at 5 1/inches, 19 1/4 inches, 33 1/2 inches (Note the 1/2 inch. I installed mine a tad bit crooked most likely due to the half inch)

Now that we have the marks horizontally, lets do the same vertically. Make a mark 5 1/2 inches down each horizontal point you just marked. Once everything is marked up take a 5/16 drill bit and drill holes in the last 3 marks you just made.

2018-09-01 17.16.04.jpg2018-09-01 17.16.06.jpg

Once the holes are made, you will not be able to re-use the bolts from the anchor seat latches you removed. The ones Goose Gear provided were not long enough as well.

Go to your local hardware store and buy 3 5/16-18 x 1-3/4 hex bolts. Something like these

Once you have the bolts, line up the plate and ensure the brass spacers and plastic washers are in place. Ratchet them down until they are tight enough (If you keep trying to tighten them down they WILL break!)

THEN DONE!

2018-09-01 18.28.25.jpg

If you have a rear cargo floor mat you will be able to put it under the plate before you installed just cut away a few areas

2018-09-01 18.14.51.jpg

2018-09-01 18.20.20.jpg2018-09-01 18.20.22.jpg

And you are ready to mount some Goose Gear drawers OR make your own now that you have some secure points to mount to!

(This is my first write-up, please forgive me if it makes no sense, at least I tried :unsure:)

mudraider

Adventurer
I recently picked up the new Goose Gear Universal Plate. The size that was able to fit was - 38-3/8" wide x 30" deep. I assume the size will also fit Gen 2 and 2.5. My plan is to create a modular storage area out of Goose Gear drawer's and for anyone wanting to do the same, here is a write up on how to do it.

First things first. You will need to remove the Third Row seats and you can find a video of it here.

Once the third row seats are removed. Unbolt the 3 (Child seat?) anchor latches using a 13mm ratchet.

View attachment 469912

Once all 3 are removed re-use the brass spacers and plastic washers and place them on the exposed hole of the latches you just un-bolted

View attachment 469913

With that out of the way we can begin drilling into the Plate system.

I mounted the plate 3 1/2 inches away from the plastic trim where the carpet to the rear cargo area begins.

Here are the measurements I used (Horizontally, take a ruler and run it along the width of the plate system. Begin making marks on the plate system at 5 1/inches, 19 1/4 inches, 33 1/2 inches (Note the 1/2 inch. I installed mine a tad bit crooked most likely due to the half inch)

Now that we have the marks horizontally, lets do the same vertically. Make a mark 5 1/2 inches down each horizontal point you just marked. Once everything is marked up take a 5/16 drill bit and drill holes in the last 3 marks you just made.

View attachment 469926View attachment 469927

Once the holes are made, you will not be able to re-use the bolts from the anchor seat latches you removed. The ones Goose Gear provided were not long enough as well.

Go to your local hardware store and buy 3 5/16-18 x 1-3/4 hex bolts. Something like these

Once you have the bolts, line up the plate and ensure the brass spacers and plastic washers are in place. Ratchet them down until they are tight enough (If you keep trying to tighten them down they WILL break!)

THEN DONE!

View attachment 469938

If you have a rear cargo floor mat you will be able to put it under the plate before you installed just cut away a few areas

View attachment 469939

View attachment 469940View attachment 469941

And you are ready to mount some Goose Gear drawers OR make your own now that you have some secure points to mount to!

(This is my first write-up, please forgive me if it makes no sense, at least I tried :unsure:)
Fine job, keep it up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998