Got a Gen 1 LWB, what now?

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
I still play tapes I recorded in the early 80s. The most time durable tapes have been the TDK D-series. First six tapes I recorded include BÖC and Eagles.

All the factory label tapes usually get tossed when they act up.

arevv_

Heck of a score Toasty, I think the briefcases of tapes is maybe the holy grail with an OEM head unit in it, you'll be SET for days on the road! Use your phone (filming horizontal works best) and a cheap flexible GorillaPod to keep it stable, it would be awesome to see what you're working on and how you're doing it. I'll rally the Montero down to AZ this fall and we'll film a proper edit while I'm there (y)

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I need to stop cluttering my '99 build thread, made some real progress on the '91. Did a drain and fill on the diffs and T-case with OEM juice, sold the Aussie Crawler T-case to David because he needs it more than i do.

20180712_110144.jpg

Unfortunately I'm a dirtbag and didn't take any video but the suspension has been fully rebuilt and HOLY FAQ! This thing rides so smooth it's unreal, i realized I've never done a stock rebuild before. Now i really know what these trucks were like when they were new, I've had low milage Monteros and I've owned Monteros that were only 5 years old and this is different. I've done all new everything before but riding on 35" tires, i thought that was the jam.

I'm almost out of red torque stripe but I've got a tube of blue coming and I'm super stoked! I also thought about doing high torque spec fasteners in red and low torque in blue for extra fun, maybe service fasteners in yellow or green.
20180911_112944.jpg
20180911_134230.jpg20180911_134203.jpg

Anyway, with the steering and suspension done its time to start shopping for new tires. I want some 31x9.5" all terrains (probably BFG), these LS wheels are growing on me too so they'll probably stay unless some pomegranates pop up.

It's almost time to work on the cosmetics of the truck the plan so far is; window tint, new belt mouldings, walnut interior trim, Noico, new speakers, reupholster the seats, OEM floor mats, OEM tonneau cover, fix some dents, color match the bumpers (gloss black), new PIAAs to replace the stock Bosch fogs. It's going to be great!

Toasty

Today i disassembled the drive belt pulleys, cleaned and oiled the bearings. The engine was always quiet but it's almost silent now, next I'll do the same for the AC clutch. Don't attempt to service your own pulleys, it requires a press and a special oiler which i have.

Also stocked up on more OEM juice for my collection! 90w and Long Life coolant!

AZPAJERO

Observer
Can't wait to see what you do with this one !

That box of tapes is amazing. I see several titles I tried stealing from my big brothers stash back in the day :LOL:

Toasty

It's almost done, mostly cosmetic stuff left. I may sell it though, i found another one but it's BLUE! I have a real weakness for blue Monteros.

Toasty

So, what is this torque stripe stuff you talk about?

Well, primarily it's used as a quick visual for when a fastener or mating surface becomes loose. The "stripe" will break and show an obvious crack, they come in bright opaque colors for high visibility and dark cracks. I also use it after i torque whatever I'm working on to spec so i know where I'm at as far as reassembly. Helps me out big time, after i go wheeling i spend some time under the truck checking the stripes.

Toasty

Speaking of David, he hooked me up with this sweet Gen 1 tonneau cover! My truck originally had a brown one but black works too.20180925_120313.jpg

Toasty

By the time I get around to replacing that stuff on mine you’ll have bought it all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just requested a quote on quarter window gaskets yesterday and then this thing will have all new window seals. Excitement!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78