Got a radio in the truck finally

swduncan

Observer
After much hemming and hawing I finally bought a radio for the truck, a yaesu ft-857d.

It will mainly be used for 2m/440 in the vehicle, but it's located where I can easily connect my tuner and an HF antenna. At the moment I have an end-fed wire for 20m, but I plan to experiment with other designs and find something simple but reasonably effective. I don't plan to do HF while moving, only while in camp. I don't know if I'll try to make a permanent installed antenna at home.

This is my first HF radio, and I've made one contact so far. I haven't used my tuner yet (forgot to get a patch cable) and the antenna's only 5' off the ground so it's probably not radiating very well.

Are there any specific HF nets/freqs for on/off road or overlanding?

Last edited:

Dougherty03

Not for overLANDing per se, but the Maritime Mobile Service Net is almost in non-stop operation on 14.300 MHz. If I needed help I know I would be heard by someone on that freq.

Grinder313

Observer
Are people using Ham radios illegally? I have been using CB for years and have been thinking about getting licensed, didn't realize there were unofficial wheeling ham freqs.

AFSOC

Explorer
There's really no point to operating illegally, the Tech test is so easy and you need a call anyway. ARRL is a bit of a dinosaur but they are great advocates and police of the hobby.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I'm sure there are but not that I've noticed. Its so easy why not go legal? I took a class put on by some of the local four wheelers. Could have done it on my own but theres nothing like a little peer pressure to "git'r done".

ChadHahn

Adventurer
When they say unofficial they don't mean unlicensed, just that there are no specific frequencies allocated to outdoor activities.

Chad

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Another set of nets to monitor are on 40m between 7.225 and 7.270 LSB. Looking around there after say, 10am EST/EDT there are three daytime nets for mobiles. The ECARS net, the SouthCARS net, and the MidCARS net. Net controls are all over and, though scheduled, not always present. In the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic I usually use MidCARS because its easiest to get into. Most of the NCS' there are from the Mid-West.

Not sure why there are not nets out west....

FWIW Maritime Mobile Service nets runs a Pacific Net on 15m around 21.300 ish. Can't recall the exact frequency.

For a good, small, easy camp antenna for that radio I suggest a simple Windom antenna. Have a sling shot handy to get it up high enough. An alternate is build/buy a Buddipole. Pricey but good for 40m and up.

See ya on the air!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears