Got my Suburban, time to stop lurking!

Hello everyone!

I have been enjoying reading through these forums, doing research in preparation for turning in my current lease vehicle (2018 Dodge Durango) and finding and modding an older fullsize truck for use as a daily driver/overlanding/recreation vehicle. For some time I had planned on going with a Suburban, as 4WD vans are just too expensive and hard to find.

As luck would have it, I just found a deal too good to pass up, so I figured now was a good time to stop lurking and start posting. So, here is my new project vehicle:
suburbanright.jpg

Its a 1999 GMC K2500 SLT with a 454, loaded to the hilt. The RPO sticker is full of all the desirable goodies. It's in pretty good shape inside and out, just a few issues to resolve and some parts to upgrade. Only has 122k original miles, I am the third owner. Practically no rust, which is a miracle here in Pennsylvania. Found it about 25 miles from me. Here's the best part: I got it for $1200. :p
Plenty of budget left to do what I want.

Anyway, I just had to share my happiness at finding this rig. Now the fun begins!

Looking forward to getting more involved with the forums. I'm sure I will have some questions, and I hope to be able to share some knowledge I have learned over the past 35+ years of offroading and working on other vehicles.

Other side....here you can see the only real cosmetic issues: a few spots where the paint needs to be touched up. I'm only going to do spot repairs, as I am not too concerned with a 21 year old truck looking "perfect".
suburbanleft.jpg

Reactions: GHI
$1200!? That’s insane

I know. When the ad popped up in my saved search late in the afternoon, I thought "too good to be true"......but I had to call. Five minutes later I was doing about 90 on my way to see it, cash in hand. I missed out on another one the previous weekend by about 1 hour (not as nice as this one) and I was not going to let it get away this time! After I bought it, the guy said he was going to be busy contacting all of the people who were coming to see it the next day.....sucks to be them. :cool:

Smileyshaun

Observer
Best thing you can do for that 454 is swap out the injectors for the yellow 4pot Bosch ones . The factory ones have a issue of getting weak and leaking down after the rig is turned off So it will smell really rich if it’s been sitting for a hour and started back up and the spray pattern is not fantastic. When I did mine I saw a 3 mpg gain across the board and there was a definite pickup in acceleration and towing .

Heading Out

Adventurer
Nice find, I had a 90 GMC 3500 dually 2wd with the 454 and turbo 400
wish I still had that truck just with single rear wheels.

There's a kit out there to have all 4 lights on with the high beams,
I don't remember who made it, but it's worth it.

mface7

holy crap, that's awesome! I'm picking up my 98 2500 burb on saturday and will start the build. also leather, etc. only 160K miles on it. Mine cost a grand more than your though...gonna be watching your closely so I can borrow some ideas, and will be throwing out my own build thread here soon.

holy crap, that's awesome! I'm picking up my 98 2500 burb on saturday and will start the build. also leather, etc. only 160K miles on it. Mine cost a grand more than your though...gonna be watching your closely so I can borrow some ideas, and will be throwing out my own build thread here soon.

We'll have to keep in touch. So far I have scraped/brushed/rustproofed the frame, replaced the fuel tank, ordered new 33" General ATX tires and Bilstein shocks and solved some minor electrical issues. Next will be a front end alignment and state inspection. After that, it's time to reevaluate and start drawing up a plan (and start a new thread!)

mface7

Here is my beast... we're calling him Chuck.
91e1178c7549395417adcb3a8f75a408.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12