Got sick of my alum. wheels and plasti dipped them black.

ejason

When i first got the rims they looked great. I really hated cleaning them and they ended faded, pitted and just like crap. I've wanted black rims for a while so i decided to try and plasti dip them after seeing it online. It cost 20.00 compared to the 400.00+ quotes i was getting for powder coating them.
IMAG0004.jpg

they didn't look to bad after i cleaned them up.
IMAG0011.jpg

after a few coats
IMAG0012.jpg

just before putting the wheels back on
IMAG0015.jpg

The after pic. Now i just have to do my spare:)

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Those things turned out great!

I have to agree. Looks great. How long do you think they'll last? Will they handle regular wear/tear/abrasions?

When I did mine on an old Golf it didnt handle mounting new tires even though I prepped it with a sanding off of the original paint, applying an couple of coats of epoxy based primer, 3 coasts of paint, and 3 coats of clear baking the after each coat under a pair of halogen work lights.

ejason

Thanks, it makes the truck look much better. I hope they last a while, but we'll see. I still have a can left and it would be only too easy to touch them up if they get scuffed.

wjeeper

Plasti-dip is pretty cool stuff to use as a protective coating. I have done rims to keep them from getting salt damage in the winters since they were bare aluminum. I have even seen guys spray it on the front of their cars on track day to fend off rock chips, after track day they just peel it off! It lasts until a corner of it starts to peel.......then it comes off fast!

If you want them powdercoated for real Les Schwab will do them for $25ish a rim. They ship them offsite and then in a week or two you get them back. I saw a few at a car show that they had done and they looked pretty darn good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger