GOVE Global Overland Vehicle Economical build.

ExpoMike

Nice build up! Looks like that White Rim trip was great.

Unbelievable about the Rickson wheel coming apart like that. That is just beyond crazy. I would think the DOT should investigate this as this is dangerous on so many levels. This type of failure should never occur and I don't think I recall ever seeing a wheel fail like this in all the years of offroading and race vehicles I have been around. Good luck with that situation.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
looking for alternatives, but for the foreseeable future, the original factory Fords are back on

WOW ! :Wow1:
I've been following your great build and am so sorry your wheels turn out as POS ! I'm glad you were not hurt, and no major damage to the truck or others.
I'm not normally a 'rat 'em out to da goverment' sort of guy, but I'd hate to be driving behind or beside a truck with Rickson Wheels, that is crazy. DOT should see those photos.
You might look into the Firematic rims. I'd think that going onto fire department brush trucks they have been vetted and they indicate "The rim is third party certified by Standard Testing Labs".
No personal experence with them, other then seening if they could build with a rockwell 6-lug center for Fusos (no problem).
Best of luck in the future.
http://firematic.com/fireshop/store1.cgi?p_id=RIK10B195&xm=on
firematic ssw 19-5.jpg

zukrider

Explorer
cool setup. terrible about Rickson though. Just think, all those ER's out there. And Jays giant rig to. Hmmm.

heimbig

OnTheRoadAtLast
Sound insulation in truck

• I installed sticky backed Dynamat dynaliner in 'crew' cab portion of the cab, the floor, the pillars, and the back wall. Made a noticeable difference but really expensive. Dynaliner appears to be very similar to sponge neoprene but these are about the same price.
  • Anyone used ordinary home carpet pad? I've used it in all sorts of acoustic situations and it works great and is very cheap, thinking about using in the front half of the cab. The Dynaliner is very soft (and low density) and compressible, whereas carpet pad is a bit more dense, but much less compressible.
  • Any opinions/suggestions?

20130928_143128 Stitch3.jpg

Last edited:

heimbig

OnTheRoadAtLast
Rock slide engineering Step Slider

I finally got the Rock slide engineering Step Slider installed and 'tuned'. This slider with a Linear Actuator driven pop-down step is a pretty cool addition Livingstone. When I get larger wheels back on there it will be really nice. I saw these on SportsMobiles at expo 2013. After my wife broke the factory step on the overland course she was supportive of the addition. The units came from http://www.rockslideengineering.com/ with instructions for jeep and were essential for the electrical install but wasn't much use for the mechanical install. I assembled as best I could figure out and emailed photos to rock slide to verify what I was doing, they got right back to me. RockSlide has been a great company to work with, responsive when I had problems, accurate about their delivery. The only issue was the lack of instructions; I think mine is the first one sent out for a F550, AND I think they typically install them at their shop.

Step Closed:
20131017_085924.jpg 20131017_090101.jpg
Step Open:
20131017_090146.jpg 20131017_090127.jpg
The Mechanism:
20131017_090215.jpg
It is installed by bolting to the body flange (and the plate on right) and 'pinched' between the to pieces shown. It is further 'blind' bolted from the plate on the left (top) to the body of the cab. this is a pretty narrow attachment and I will attach additional aluminum from where the factory step was bolted down to the existing bolts on the step slider.
PinchPoint.jpg
Video Clip (bad video, I need to dig out tripod and real camera):
https://vimeo.com/77292813[video=vimeo;77292813]https://vimeo.com/77292813[/video]

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo

• Any opinions/suggestions?

Last edited:

heimbig

OnTheRoadAtLast
Thanks mog, there is certainly lots of choices. The foam mat material is a great idea and cheaper, Paul Jensen used a different material on the floor. He's doing a great job I need to read that build today. Dynamat recommends a first layer that is foil covered then Dynaliner on top. My truck was already petty quite (until I added knobbly tires.) I'm concerned that ordinary recycled carpet pad might fall apart - but at 55 Cents/sqft. it is really cheap.

cost / sq ft
thickness
compared to dynaliner
dynamat Dynaliner
1/2"
=
Stinger Expert Bulk Pack
1/10"
foil covered
Interlocking Anti-Fatigue EVA Foam Floor Mat
3/8"
very dense
foam 6 Lb. Density Rebond Carpet Pad
?
denser
Recycled Felt Rug Pad
4/10"
less dense and similar to factory installed, so prefer a different material.
8 lb. density Traffic master home depot
5/16
denser

Last edited:

skibum315

Explorer
I have seen this stuff advertized on the Power Block shows: http://www.lizardskin.com/ ... I know nothing about it, other than what's on their website ... but it's a spray on, so I guess you could control the thickness to your personal taste. Looks like they recommend 40 mils (0.04") of the insulation product and 40 mils of the sound-control product ... and suggest that one two gallon container should net 40-45 sq-ft of coverage. A quick look on Google-Shopping shows two gallon pails going for the $150-$200 range, putting it right around the price of Dynaliner ($175/42.5sqft) ... source dependent, of course.

At that price, maybe not so appealing ... but possibly another option, especially for hard-to-reach places.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
After seeing Paul's use of the EVA foam mat, I'm going to use that matting on the floor/doors/walls/ceiling and then cover it with Peel & Seal (Peel & Seal).
I've gotten samples of normal Dynaliner, B-Quiet, etc and the Peel & Seal is close enough for my use (and much-much cheaper at about $1 per sq.ft.). I figure the Peel & Seal will protect the matting besides adding to the noise and heat transfer reduction.
BTW- the EVA mat can be found for about .50 per st.ft. on-line.

Last edited:

heimbig

OnTheRoadAtLast
With the density of the EVA pad, I'd guess it won't be effective against low frequencies, whereas high frequencies will either bounce back or be absorbed. Note that Paul Jensen also used low density fiberglass, combining high and low density will 'catch' more frequencies. In a truck that metal shell that surrounds us blocks out a lot of the high freq, but lows will go through, which probably explains why the carpet 'pad' in a truck is low density. Of course it is more complicated than that.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
I haven't looked at this field for years but AFAIK the only real way to reduce noise is to add mass, and the mass has to be physically isolated so it can't transmit vibration.

I used a couple of products that were foam on both sides of a barium layer, foam for isolation, barium for mass. One of them had a "floor matt style" material on one side that was good for floors, the other had silver reflective stuff, good for engine bays.

It is heavy, a roll of it could not be lifted by a person without really getting under it, I had a party trick where I would ask someone to go get that roll of foam and watch as they went to lift it with one hand :)

heimbig

OnTheRoadAtLast
Graynomad: it is more complicated than that, acoustic engineers have charts that identify materials and the frequencies that they'll absorb (db / mm). If you think of thermal insulation a solid wood wall (very heavy) is much worse insulation than the same thickness but with fiberglass insulation between 2 thin pieces of wood, even better if there are no wood to wood (or wallboard to wood to wallboard) direct connections through the wall. Back to sound, a lot of factors affect the 'acoustic' absorption and density and mass is part of the equation. In the end (for me) cost is a big factor so something that is 'pretty good' but cheap is preferred over something really expensive and perfect.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Yeah, I bought this stuff at the beginning of a project when money was no object. It worked pretty well, reduced the noise from excruciating-have-to-wear-ear-protectors (no joke, we got some great looks at the traffic lights) to barely tolerable, so that was a win :)

Darwin

Explorer
Any update on the wheels? I thought about Rickson's wheels, but have second thoughts. It would be nice if there where a few other manufactures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12