GPS for newbie?

TurboChris

Adventurer
Hoping you guys can give me some good recommendations for a GPS for a navigational beginner? I have NO experience with mapping or gps at all so the simpler the better for my first one for off highway use.

TIA

UNI

Adventurer
We use the Lowrance Endura™ Sierra, the portable unit has a bright screen for use in the bright sun light. The product has touch screen technology, a lot easier than going through screen menus. Its a bit expensive, but worth the cost IMO.

CIMG3457.JPG

CIMG3455.JPG

Frank

Explorer
I second the NUVI 550. I did some research (on here) and the 550 seemed to fit me perfectly. I (and family) have had a Garmin for the past 8ish years, and I have no reason to go to any other brand. They are great.

The ONLY thing (and its my own fault) I was bummed about when mine came in. I thought the TOPO was already loaded into the GPS. ...not so. Its another $100 off the garmin website. Im going to bass pro shop this weekend, hoping they have one on the shelf I can grab.

I question its "waterproof" capabilities. With its speaker, I question how waterproof it really is. I wont submerge it, but it may get rained on...I hope it stands up.

Also, I purchased my GPS on ebay fo $200, as a refurbished unit. -the refurb's come with the same warranty that a new 550 comes with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...15&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OU:MOTORS:1123

If you are a beginner gps person, hopefully this says something: I plan to buy my dad a 550 for Christmas. He has -0- electronic skill.

One more thing I noticed, there is no "manual" per sa...just a quick start guide. Its pretty self explanitory to navigate it, but dont expect to see a manual to tell you how.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Hoping you guys can give me some good recommendations for a GPS for a navigational beginner? I have NO experience with mapping or gps at all so the simpler the better for my first one for off highway use.

TIA

Honestly I'd recommend you first learn to navigate using a compass, map, and by sighting terrain. Once you know how to do that, you can then learn to use the gps. This way if your gps fails (electronics regularly do) or you can't figure out how to use it for something you have something a bit more foolproof to rely on.:smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears