GPS question

eleblanc

Adventurer
I own a Garmin Etrex legend cx, it was usefull on the atv being small. But i don't use the atv anymore and selling it. So i want to change my etrex to a car GPS (not handheld). I want to stick to Garmin, but there are so many models i'm puzzle which i should look at. First i still want to be able track and save my tracks, something i think most of the automotive gps do not do. Track is not the same has route. A route is a path on the road, a track is a path anywhere.

Any of you guys use a garmin with large screen that can track? Basicly i'd like to have all the same option has in my etrex but on a larger screen GPS.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I use a 276c (Garmin), it will do everything you state you want, and then some. It is so much nicer in the jeep than my eTrex Vista was (although the Vista is much nicer (lighter) in my back pack.

Check the back issues of the Overland Journal for a GPS comparison. Good info there...

Personally I use the Garmin 60Cx and I really mean use it.

I started by purchasing 3 “2” gig micro SD cards from www.mobileplanet.com at 14.95 a piece. (the 60 series will only accept up to 2 gig). On one I loaded the entire North American City Guide NT (about 900mb), on another I placed the entire state of Alaska 2008 Topo Map (almost 900mb) and the 3rd wil be for the Blue Charts when we get our boat.

When on duty in western Alaska, hiking, or off roading I put the topo map card in. While in town I used the City Guide, the 60Cx even routes me to addresses for my Vol. Fire EMS duty week. I love my 60Cx it takes less then 60 sec. to replace a card.

I thought about the 276 solely for screen size but the data card issue really sored me...almost 200.00 for 512mb (Their largest card)

roberto

Adventurer
I bought the 276C as well, very nice unit, but it was a pain that I had to go buy a map CD and then tried to load not realizing that I now needed a data card to download the maps on, so went and bought that next, between those 2 items $250. This unit is getting expensive and now I have to try and figure out how to use now that I have all the appropiates. But it is working now!

Roberto

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
4RunAmok said:
I have the 60 c S x. Maybe the S makes a difference.

The cSx is the newer model and accept the larger SD cards + uses Sirf III technology. Otherwise basically the same unit. I have the 60Cx and use it similar to AKFlightMedic (except i'm not a flight medic and I don't live in alaska).

I noticed on the Garmin website a Feb '08 software update - that might allow hicapacity SD card usage, give it a try (I'm at work and can't do the update from here).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78