GPS reradiating antennas

AKRover

Adventurer
I searched and didn't find anything on this subject. Does anyone use one?

I want to use my iPhone for navigation but the signal inside the vehicle is very spotty to non-existent. When walking around with a clear view of the sky it works great though. It doesn't have a plug for an antenna so it looks like the only option would be something that can transfer the signal into the vehicle. I guess my real questions is do the re-radiating antennas really work?

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Although I don't own one myself, I have used this one with very good success: http://www.gpscentral.com/product/tri-m-wide-re-radiating-antenna I haven't seen one mounted inside a vehicle though - only buildings.

For the iPhone though, I believe that v3.0 software added A2DP bluetooth. That feature should allow it to connect to a bluetooth GPS antenna that is mounted externally. Hopefully one of our resident iPhone experts will chime in on this one.

Pete

AKRover

Adventurer
Although I don't own one myself, I have used this one with very good success: http://www.gpscentral.com/product/tri-m-wide-re-radiating-antenna I haven't seen one mounted inside a vehicle though - only buildings.

For the iPhone though, I believe that v3.0 software added A2DP bluetooth. That feature should allow it to connect to a bluetooth GPS antenna that is mounted externally. Hopefully one of our resident iPhone experts will chime in on this one.

Pete
I didn't know that an external bluetooth antenna existed, I guess I'll look into that option too. Thanks.

The unit you linked too sounds exactly the same as the ones I have been finding online that are have an active antenna powered by a 12v source.

PathfinderTR

Observer
I searched and didn't find anything on this subject. Does anyone use one?

I want to use my iPhone for navigation but the signal inside the vehicle is very spotty to non-existent. When walking around with a clear view of the sky it works great though. It doesn't have a plug for an antenna so it looks like the only option would be something that can transfer the signal into the vehicle. I guess my real questions is do the re-radiating antennas really work?

I thought the IPhone didn't have real GPS? My understanding is it used cell tower triangulation to get a fix. If this is true, I'm curious as to why you get better signal with a clear view of the sky. ???

AKRover

Adventurer
The phones use Assisted GPS. The iphone 3G and 3GS both contain GPS chipsets. They use the cell tower triangulation to help get a quicker fix on your location and the GPS can then give you your exact location. The downside is that the GPS chip was only really designed for getting a quick idea of where you are on the map and wasn't intended for navigation so it isn't as powerful as a stand alone device.

I went ahead and order a $39 reradiating antenna off of ebay. I'll report back when I get it.

fishbum

Observer
Be careful - GPS irradiating antennas are highly illegal without an FCC license. Driving around broadcasting any signal on the GPS band would be highly frowned upon, even if it's just to improve reception in your car.

AKRover

Adventurer
As far as I can tell I won't be broadcasting anything only receiving a GPS signal just like any receiver would.

This re-radiating antenna vastly improves the reception of your GPS unit, by providing stronger signal strength. It does this with the aid of 2 antennas. The first antenna, which would usually be fixed to a windshield or other surface, receives the information from the GPS satellite. This is then re-radiated through the second antenna, from where it is picked up via the GPS unit's antenna.

This unit is not directly connected to your GPS unit, and can therefore be used with a variety of different models. It draws power from your car cigarette lighter. It is great for GPS without external antenna connector such as Garmin eTrex.

Plug-N-Play,easy to use.
The radiation range could reach one meter around.
The simple of structure make as easy installation.
For L1 band GPS signal, meets most of the GPS Receivers on the Market.

M

MuddyOval

If it is a passive device and not amplifying to retransmit the signal, I believe them to be legal. I've also heard it said that passive radiator antennae are snake oil.

AKRover

Adventurer
I have heard that they are a hoax too but have never seen anything to back up that claim. In fact I havnt seen much about them at all, that's why I was asking. I was hoping someone else had already found out for me. Mine shoulld get here in about a week or so. I'll post up my findings.

M

MuddyOval

The only places I've seen that claimed the cell phone ones worked were non-scientific tests in magazines that had them as advertisers.
The guy who told me they, as well as GPS versions, are snake oil was the senior engineer/program manager for the antenna systems on the international space station. I don't think he ever tested them, he just dismissed them based on their design.

If the one you got requires power- it might work but will be illegal. If it doesn't require power- please test it well! Looking forward to your findings, as I'm a GPS junkie. I bet I have 30+ of 'em.

Last edited by a moderator:

AKRover

Adventurer
Well I got my antenna in the mail today and did a quick test in the drive way.

gps01.jpg

gps02.jpg

I'm using MotionX GPS available from the iTunes App store for a small fee, there is also a free version that has all the features of the paid version but it only lets you have one saved track. The App doesn't have a display screen that would give me a good detailed look at the satellite information. All it does is tell me that I either have a weak signal, a low signal, or a good signal.

What I did first was put the iPhone in it's holder located in the cup holder of my center console. I then started up the GPS program and let it go through it's cycle of looking for satellites. Like usual the signal was weak and only the cell tower triangulation was able to provide a general fix on my location. After a few minutes of not finding a signal the program asks if I want to keep searching for satellites and I clicked the button to keep searching.
gps03.jpg

Then I pulled the active antenna out of the package and placed it on the roof (for some reason magnets don't stick to aluminum rover roofs) and immediately noticed that the signal improved going from Weak signal to Low Signal. Not really sure why this had this effect but apparently just having an antenna in the vicinity helps a little bit.
gps04.jpg

Then after plugging the unit into the cigarette lighter and clipping the passive antenna on to my visor the signal went from Low to Good Signal.
gps05.jpg

I repeated this a few different times to make sure that it wasn't just a freak accident that I managed to get a signal in my vehicle. One thing I observed was that just having the antenna in the vehicle is enough to get a Low signal on the unit after it has already acquired satellites and received a good signal. I would notice this after confirming that I had a good signal with the unit plugged in and then un-plugging it to put it away. After it was un-plugged I would pull the antenna in off the roof and start packing it up. The whole time the signal was low. It wasn't until I removed it from the vehicle did the phone lose it's signal.

So I guess I can say for certain that this thing really works and that the snake oil rumor is false. It was mentioned that it is illegal though. I suppose that is sort of a down fall.

I plan on testing it again with a stand alone gps unit that displays graphic satellite information so I can get a better idea of how well it works.

Last edited:
M

MuddyOval

The snake oil rumor was for passive re-radiating ones, the one you have there is an active powered repeater which is probably quite illegal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears