GPS Track Recording

jsalbre

Dirt lover
I need some suggestions from the brain trust here.

I've just migrated from a Jeep Gladiator to a Ram 2500. In the Gladiator I had a (alight older) Garmin DriveSmart 61 on the dashboard. It didn't get a lot of use for actual routing, but by having it mounted there I always had a map in view, and it automatically recorded a track of every drive I did. Every once in a while I'd pull the tracks off the device and save them, and also export to Gaia, that way when we're out exploring (we tend to do more random exploring vs planning a detailed rote to ahead of time) we could see on the maps if we'd driven down a road/trail before.

In the new Ram I have a huge 12" screen that I can split between Car Play, built in Nav, and other radio features, and I can display a map on the new digital dashboard. Because of these features I don't really need a dedicated device taking up windshield space to show a map, so I'd rather not carry around the 7" Garmin. I know a lot of people use Gaia for recording tracks, but I've had continuous issues with needing to kill and restart Gaia to get maps to load as I drive. This seems to happen on every device I use it on.

Does anyone have a recommendation for recording my tracks without relying on a flaky app or an unnecessary screen?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior