GPS- What are you using?

fetus

Observer
Same here; it works awesome for road trips, but not of much use for off-highway travels. I'm looking into a Delorme PN-40 / Topo USA for those duties.

I can load TOPO maps onto my Nuvi 760 and switch between Streetmaps and TOPO maps via the menu settings. You store the maps on an SD card. I use it quite often for offroad trips. My only gripe is that it won't do UTM.

fetus

Observer
Yes, you can save waypoints and tracks on the Nuvi's memory card. You use Mapsource or GPS software to input it.

The waypoints are called "Favorites" on mine. You can also input lat/long coordinates rather quickly via the touchscreen.

You just have to switch the routing function to offroad to get direct line routing, not street routing. It doesn't route you on trails but some dirt roads it will.

Here's a screen of my Nuvi in Topo Mode.

nuvi-760-topo.jpg

red87

Adventurer
Awesome, that's just what I needed to know. Is this all the Nuvis or just the higher end ones?

fetus

Observer
I can't say if all Nuvis do it. I'm sure the 500's on up can do it. I'm on a 760 that's a couple years old. I just wish they spit out UTM coordinates.

dzzz

I believe Garmin has gone insane with the number of models. Every time I go to buy one I can't tell features apart. The features I want, big screen and loud volume, aren't offered. I feel the Garmins don't have enough volume for a diesel.

Something like a 9 inch touch screen PC would be better for me.

jim65wagon

I believe Garmin has gone insane with the number of models. Every time I go to buy one I can't tell features apart. The features I want, big screen and loud volume, aren't offered. I feel the Garmins don't have enough volume for a diesel.

Something like a 9 inch touch screen PC would be better for me.

My Nuvi 780 will transmit through my stereo system, loud as you can stand...of course even the widescreen is still only 4.3" diagonal.

jrallan26

I use a Garmin Nuvi 760. Works awesome. My only gripe is the mount, dont like the suction cup mount. Doing research to find a better mount.

BCcamp

Observer
nuvi255 for street navigation

Offroad, PN-20 tethered to 13.3 Macbook Pro laptop running Delorme Topo8 in Windows XP using Bootcamp. Great setup, but gotta spend the time learning Topo8 to make good use of all its features. Thinking maybe upgrade to PN-40. Still trying to sort out best mounting scheme for the laptop in the Land Cruiser.

PN-20 for out of the vehicle activities.

Tried using the PN-20 by itself as well as tethered to the Macbook for street navigation, but just not as straightforward, convenient, compact and easy to use as the Garmin nuvis. Buying a dedicated street navigator was the way to go for us (and they can be had for little money these days).

KG6BWS

Explorer
Lowrance Baja 540c plugged into a Samsung mini netbook running NatGeo Topo.

And a Garmin etrex for on foot use.

targa88

Explorer
Nuvi 350 for urban travel
AA0 Net book(9inch screen) + BU353 (USB puck) +Garmin Mapsource/Nroute for Topo.

Enjoy the larger screen and versatility(can do other things - surf the net, email, watch movies) of the netbook.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger