Grand Cherokee WJ Rear Storage Rack.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
I've been impressed with the rear storage options you guys and gals come up with here at Expedition Portal. One of the things I've wanted to add to my WJ is a rear storage rack. I already had a 'dog fence' installed in the Jeep when we purchased it several years ago. I had removed the lower section to allow a little more room in the back but kept the upper portion for safety reasons. It has come in handy on many trips as I can load the Jeep to the top without worry.

I thought through several ideas for a rear storage rack and was about to build one from scratch when I remembered the lower section of the "dog fence". I wanted the rack to be easily removeable yet secure. Fifteen minutes later this is what I had.

rackthroughwindosm_114.jpg

rearwithrack4sm_124.jpg

rackadjustablelegsm_761.jpg

Still a little work to do. I used a 5/8 bolt and locknut to make the legs adjustable. I need finish welding and paint the galvanized tubing.

The legs fit far enough to the side as to not interfere with large items I want to put on the floor.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
That is very nice. Great idea, and it'd probably triple the sale of Jeep dog fences if the general public knew. I wish you'd thought of it sooner when I still had both my WJ and my dog barrier. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears