Grandpa Builds A 2000 Montero

cjgolfer7

Observer
Yeah after driving mine on 31's and knowing I want to move to the 33x10.50 BFG AT's. I'll definitely want a deeper gear to get the job done.

coastie743

Awesome thread!! I am from NC originally (near Topsail Island). But currently in Puerto Rico and just came across almost the same exact truck here... Your pics give me something to strive for! amazing build, beautiful rig!

grandpa

Storage/Sleeping Platform

So I had a bit of time in the shop and pieced together this platform. I have removed the second and third row seats. I built it on one side so I would have some full height room, and I can sit on it, although there is not much headroom. There is an extendable section when the front passenger seat is pushed forward for more length. It is supported on a custom mount attached to the wheel well third seat attachment point. Nothing fancy here.

grandpa

Out with the 4.27 and in goes the 4.90. Also replacing the brake rotors and pads, wheel bearings, ball joints, CV axles, and shocks. It's a lot of dirty work.

PacS14

Adventurer
Good job Grandpa! I Would Have Taking It To The Car wash Prior To The Job And Pressure Wash Everything As Much As Possible. Keep us posted.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
You are going to need to slightly modify your inner passenger side axle. The bolt holes will need to be slightly expanded inwards, otherwise the axle wont bolt up to the outer shaft.

grandpa

You are going to need to slightly modify your inner passenger side axle. The bolt holes will need to be slightly expanded inwards, otherwise the axle wont bolt up to the outer shaft.
The axle bolted up without any modifications. So far everything has been a bolt-in swap.
Thanks for the in put. Your project is interesting and extreme.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Nice. I had to my axle fit when I did the swap. I think it was because the axles were aftermarket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Is there a good link/write-up for the 4.90s somewhere? Or just info you gleaned from a few dozen threads? My truck is in desperate need of 4.90s as well.

grandpa

I haven't seen a start to finish tutorial on the swap. The front axle is actually a bolt-in replacement. Get the factory manual and allow your self plenty of time. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Oh i wonder if i was thinking about something else. If front is bolt in, rear should just be a simple r&p swap then, right? I wonder what i was thinking of, thought some hybrid stuff necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears