Great Divide Ride- the Ride Begins

jakescase

Observer
In" planned expeditions", we described the route we would take to drive from the Mexican border to the Canadian border along the Continental Divide (mostly) off-highway. The route reverses that used by the Great Divide Bike Race going on now with some changes suggested by other offroaders and includes some side trips to towns we enjoy eg. Chimayo, Ouray, Glacier park,etc.
The ride began in New Mexico on the border and the first day included Hachita,Separ road and on to Silver City. The next day took us to the Gila Cliff Dwellings and back to Spirit Canyon on SR35 ready for a big next day.
Today we drove North Star Rd and others to Pie Town (got Pie) and from there on 603 to El Malpais to Grants. No cell from Silver City to Grants.. Carry sufficient gas, no stations.
Have ridden on or crossed the Divide 7 times so far.

jakescase

Observer
Divide Ride

On the road( OURAY) I reported:
The last I updated our Divide Ride was 7/2.We have been out of service for many days. As mentioned, the purpose of the trip was to follow the Continental Divide from Mexico to Canada. We anticipated being off highway frequently to achieve this, and have been on many trails ( County roads, Forest service roads,etc) so far.
One main driver for our route has been that one used by the Great Divide bicycle race which is finishing now(we gave water,fruit and other food to various riders which we met as they came South)and this route is for them,at least as I find it,a means to get from North to South away from motor vehicles which is challenging,strenuous and a lone athletic event.
The scenic and historical places and events are an aside.They are looking for BICYCLE routes, not necessarily ones best for expedition vehicles.It is also fair to say that staying close to the Divide is, for them, of lesser importance.
We have therefore modified our mission to drive from Mexico to Canada as close as possible to the Continental Divide basing our route on the main items of Cultural,Scenic and Historical significance, utilizing our vehicle's unique abilities to be off highway so that when so doing supports these items. We will take side trips off the Divide to visit places we like and rejoin the Divide. As a personal preference we want to be in lodging each night.
If this seems whimpy, it certainly is whimpier than the Great Divide Bicycle Race. So be it. Our narrative will point out diversions from the bicycle route and why.
So the next update:
From Grants we drove north through the rez to Chaco Canyon and the Chaco Culture NHP. This ancient city was remarkable. From there we drove out of the reservation to east of Nageezi, to Cuba and eventually to Abiquiu.
The next day included a visit to Ghost Ranch, where Georgia O'Keefe had a summer place and painted landscapes of the area. She lived permanently in Abiquiu. We also visited Christ of the Desert Monastery,up a trail paralleling the Chama River.
We then went on a side visit to stay in one of our favorite places in New Mexico, Chimayo. As an aside, the restaurant there, Rancho de Chimayo, is one locals visit for lunch and dinner from as far away as Santa Fe for a day trip. We always stay at the Hacienda across the road.
The next day took us back through Abiquiu to state roads and so called "Indian Roads" through an Apache reservation so that we could pass "Stinking Lake" on our way to Chama.
The next day was Chama to Creede and represented a significant departure from the bicycle route.Instead of taking 79 miles of "washboard" (250 to 380 to hwy 160) we took 17 to Antonito, cited by many as one of the most scenic drives in Colorado to eventually get to South Fork and finally to Creede.I know some will say we missed Platoro and Stunner pass,but they would have to go some to surpass hwy17 to Antinito. Creede is a neat town- trail and 4wheel drive through "Bachelor" Loop past old silver mines. Can highly recommend the Old Firehouse B&B in Creede. Creede is one of those off the track towns with day-tripping visitors, but rolls up the sidewalks at about 6. A great restaurant stays open for locals and overnighters down the street from the Old Firehouse.
First Chaco to Abiquiu:IMG_0311 (Large).JPGIMG_0381 (Large).JPGIMG_0362 (Large).JPGIMG_0361 (Large).JPGIMG_0353 (Large).JPGIMG_0341 (Large).JPGIMG_0337 (Large).JPGIMG_0330 (Large).JPGIMG_0316 (Large).JPGIMG_0394 (Large).JPG

Last edited:

x32792

Adventurer
Fascinating....

Most encouraged to hear people can still have an 'adventure' within the lower 48 which does not involve the danger of being kidnapped, the hassle of crossing foreign borders or winching from mud hole to mud hole in highly modified and uber expensive diesel Land Cruiser (unavailable for sale in the USA) or Unimog.

Whimpy? I think not and thank you for sharing.

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
This is YOUR trip and you should have what ever kind of adventure you want.
Don't worry if you measure up to the mega media trips or the hard core wheelers or anyone else.
Have the best trip YOU can have so you have the best memories you can have.

I did the Continental Divide route from Canada to Mexico and I did it too fast, trying to meet others expectations and I regret that. Granted my son's & I along with some friends will always have great memories and lots of stories. But it should have been so much more.

By the way I like your pics and I looking forward to more of your story as you travel. Enjoy this as life goes by too quick.

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
Looks like agreat safe adventure. Nice photos.

I'm not familiar with the route you're taking. Would you mind posting a high level route, Google map or otherwise. I'm interested what states you traversed, from Mexico to Canada or vice-versa. Thanks.

Edit: Googled it and sure looks very inviting.

Last edited:

jakescase

Observer
Looks like agreat safe adventure. Nice photos.

I'm not familiar with the route you're taking. Would you mind posting a high level route, Google map or otherwise. I'm interested what states you traversed, from Mexico to Canada or vice-versa. Thanks.

Edit: Googled it and sure looks very inviting.

This was the original route( by town of consequence) based mainly on the Adventure Cycling route. We varied as described ...

After using all the resources I found

(Adv. Cycling, DeLorme Atlas, State travel

maps,etc.,
have developed a trip using the above and

Street Atlas 9 showing all roads, trails,

and towns. I will use this for navigation

on the onboard computer in the FJ.
The following lists towns, attractions and

stops on the Divide Ride:
Towns, Stops, Attractions on Divide Ride

Columbus,NM/ Puerto Polomas,Mexico
Hachita
Separ (I10)
White Signal
Silver City
Pinos Altos
Gila Cliff Dwellings
Pie Town
El Malpais Nat'l Mon.
Grants
Chaco Culture NHP
Nageezi
Cuba
Abiquiu
Chimayo' (Side Trip)
Vallecitos
Canon Plaza
Chama (Side Trip)
Platoro,CO
Del Norte
South Fork
Wagon Wheel Gap
Creede
Lake City
Ouray (via Engineer Pass)
Ridgway
East of Cimarron
Gunnison
Parlin
Side to Alpine Tunnel
Tincup
Buena Vista
Fiarplay
Como
Breckenridge( Via Boreas Pass)
Silverthorne
Kremmling ( Via Ute Pass)
Steamboat Springs
Clark
East of Baggs,WY
Rawlins
Jeffrey City
Lander
Atlantic City/South Pass City
Big Sandy
Boulder
Pinedale
Bondurant
Jackson
Moose
Jenny Lake
Old Faithful
West Yellowstone, MT
Henrys Lake
Dillon( Via Blacktail)
Bannack (Ghost Town)
Wise River (Via Pioneer Mtn. Scenic Bywy)
Divide
Whitehall
Townsend
Helena
Blossburg
Lincoln
Ovando
Seeley Lake ( Morrell Peak Lookout)
Holland Lake Lodge
Condon
Swan Lake
Bigfork ( Side to Kilispell)
Columbia Falls
Whitefish
Flathead, Canada
Alternate way to Canada:
Polebridge
Apgar(Going to the Sun Rd.)
Saint Mary( Side to Many Glacier)
North on Chief Mountain Hwy
Arrive Waterton Park, Canada

jakescase

Observer
Divide Ride

On July 9, from Ouray ( where we spent two days) I posted the following:

Yesterday was a side trip off the Divide, Creede to Ouray via Engineer Pass (12,800 ft). Out of Creede and before Lake City, be sure to see North Clear Creek Falls, said to be the most photographed fall in Colorado, but worth the detour.
For those who have travelled the Alpine Loop and from there via Engineer Pass to either Ouray or Silverton, enough said. For those who have not, it is an ideal 4 wheel way to get to Ouray.Not easy, but the vistas are well worth it.
By the way, I forgot to mention that we have been GoProing a lot of the scenic parts of the trip. Playing back going around the mountain on that thin trail at the pass was something!
We are staying in Ouray today and head north tomorrow to get closer to the Divide again.
The Falls to Lake City:
IMG_0677 (Large).JPGIMG_0681 (Large).JPGIMG_0690 (Large).JPGIMG_0699 (Large).JPGIMG_0710 (Large).JPGIMG_0712 (Large).JPGIMG_0714 (Large).jpgIMG_0725 (Large).JPGIMG_0728 (Large).JPGIMG_0736 (Large).JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger