Great Divide Ride- the Ride Begins

jakescase

Observer
Divide Ride

The next day to Glacier-- we drove out of Seeley Lake (Shelia had the best French Toast ever at Pop's) ..along Flathead Lake to Bigfork( nice) from there through Columbia Falls to West glacier. We got sandwiches and took the North Fork road to Polebridge. We intended going back on the Inside North Fork Road, but it was closed. Maybe someday--

IMG_2076 (Large).jpgIMG_2088 (Large).JPGIMG_2091 (Large).JPGIMG_2093 (Large).JPGIMG_2095 (Large).JPGIMG_2096 (Large).JPGIMG_2349 (Large).JPGIMG_2098 (Large).JPGIMG_2352 (Large).JPGIMG_2100 (Large).JPG

We stayed in West Glacier for the night- the Going to the Sun Road was closed!! Two days before they had 13 mud and Rock- slides and Anticipated being open the next day! Just as we had planned it! Dumb luck--

jakescase

Observer
Divide Ride

July 20, Going to the Sun Road, our final Continental Divide crossing and the Canadian Border! After 24 days we were ready to head home-- However, even though we had been to the Going to the Sun Road before, we looked forward to it.Along with the Beartooth and Big Sur, this road through Glacier is one of the great drives in the U.S.
The slides,road work and fog didn't detract from its beauty.
This time we went through the Trail of the Cedars:

IMG_2108 (Large).JPGIMG_2109 (Large).JPGIMG_2359 (Large).JPGIMG_2131 (Large).JPGIMG_2134 (Large).JPG

Continuing:

IMG_2369 (Large).JPGIMG_2145 (Large).JPGIMG_2370 (Large).JPGIMG_2168 (Large).JPGIMG_2207 (Large).JPG

jakescase

Observer
Divide Ride

Then we went through the recently reopened slide area--Single lane:

IMG_2373 (Large).JPGIMG_2374 (Large).JPGIMG_2375 (Large).JPGIMG_2284 (Large).JPGIMG_2285 (Large).JPG

Our last Continental Divide Crossing in the fog and some more "Kodak Moments"

IMG_2300 (Large).JPGIMG_2303 (Large).JPGIMG_2310 (Large).JPGIMG_2313 (Large).JPGIMG_2316 (Large).JPG

jakescase

Observer
Divide Ride

Then to the Eastern side. We were tired. To the Canadian Border on Chief Mountain Highway and then, rather than stopping at St. Mary Lodge for the night, fortified with espresso we headed home( a 3 day trip)...

IMG_2323 (Large).JPGIMG_2380 (Large).JPGIMG_2333 (Large).JPGIMG_2343 (Large).JPGIMG_2384 (Large).JPGIMG_2389 (Large).JPGIMG_2391 (Large).JPGIMG_2392 (Large).JPG

jakescase

Observer
Divide Ride

I hope you enjoyed the pics-- we thoroughly enjoyed the trip-- 7000 miles, more than half of these along or around the Continental Divide, with side trips thrown in.
If you are thinking about a trip like this and I can help with routes, etc. let me know.

DingusKahn

Adventurer
I hope you enjoyed the pics-- we thoroughly enjoyed the trip-- 7000 miles, more than half of these along or around the Continental Divide, with side trips thrown in.
If you are thinking about a trip like this and I can help with routes, etc. let me know.

I would love to have everything you could send via email. PM me and we will visit.
From the east to start your trip I assume you came up I-10. Since you started in Columbus, NM you had to go through Deming, my home town. Columbus, up until 9/11, was the only place in the continental US that had been attacked by a foreigner. Pancho Villa raided the town, killed about 10 locals and burned a few buildings. My grandfather had a store there that the terrorist burned down.

Thanks for the report and all of pictures... "Uncle Jakescase" :)

edit: ( My 100th post. Glad it could be on your fine trip report)

pmatusov

AK6PM
If you don't mind, please post Google Maps route (GMaps has a very annoying limit on the number of waypoints, so you could break it up into pieces).
Great trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle