Great Expośe on the Quality of Camper Trailers and RV’s Today

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
This enlightening story sadly reflects and seems to validate what some of you folks have been saying in your comments on Expo the past year or so, about the quality seen in many of the newer manufactured rigs.

Here are a few of the observations * shared in this article:

…”The desire to get away from home yet remain isolated introduced a new kind of lifestyle for many people during the pandemic. Recreational vehicles and trailers like Doman's offered a vacation anywhere with all the comforts of home but not the crowds, costs or hassles of commercial travel.

The RV industry — one of the biggest manufacturing sectors in Indiana — was quick to capitalize on this new and unprecedented demand.

Last year, more RVs were built and sold than ever. Profits also soared to record highs.

But on factory floors, already harried workers — some with only limited training — were pressed to build more and faster to meet higher production quotas, several current and former RV employees told IndyStar.

Some belong to families who sold their houses to commit to the RV lifestyle full time. Some are owned by retirees with grand plans for their golden years and money to burn. Others are first-time owners. Their horror stories show up in lawsuits and a jump in recall notices.

The RV industry disputes claims of quality issues.”

…”The quality of RVs has been declining for at least the last 15 years, according to Ron Burdge, an Ohio attorney who has spent decades suing RV manufacturers over defective products.

Consolidations during economic downturns meant less competition and lower quality, Burdge said. Because of financial pressures, companies also had to build more cheaply to keep their profit margins. But, he added, this continued even during good economic years.

"And when they came out of that recession back in '08, quite frankly, my experience has been that they decided that, 'Hey, we can sell these things with less quality and make just as much money. So why should we go back to building better quality?'" he said. "And they just kept doing it. And it's only gotten worse over the years since then."

Recalls became more and more common — in part because parts suppliers are also under pressure to build fast, Burdge said. Defective products that go to multiple manufacturers meant multitudes of recalls.

Recalls jumped even more during the pandemic years.”

…”Among the problems that led to recalls: gas leaks, various electrical issues, increased propane pressure and poorly installed awnings….The pandemic also exposed a longstanding problem on factory floors, an IndyStar investigation found. RV workers don’t need a license or certification to do electrical work and often receive little training to install plumbing or furnaces, several workers said. This has led not only to worker injuries, but also to problems with the products.”

*(the above quoted content is solely that of the original report writer and should not be interpreted in any way as being the opinion of this posting Expo member)

Last edited:

TGK

Good to see reference from a media source beyond various forum/user sites that validates this. The industry needs to be put on the defensive. Unfortunately, as long as people keep lining up to buy them, it will fall on deaf ears. An unfortunate reality in too many segments of American manufacturing.

tlrols

Attached is an image of a fine example of RV’s being crap. Note the sink drain with a screw holding it together. Really! Camco sells an 8 dollar replacement improved design part. It’s unbelievable where RV manufacturers will save a few pennies. But hey, a leak surely is better than the fire those folks dealt with!4357FB69-CB4E-461E-B33D-6386B0D23487.jpeg

plh

Explorer
Attached is an image of a fine example of RV’s being crap. Note the sink drain with a screw holding it together. Really! Camco sells an 8 dollar replacement improved design part. It’s unbelievable where RV manufacturers will save a few pennies. But hey, a leak surely is better than the fire those folks dealt with!

Is the screw holding it together or a cold weather drain location?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
All the non campers and Type A’s that bought this crap. Are trying to unload it now. Another 4 months and it will be a used market blood bath. For the handy types who figured they would need to basically rebuild anything they bought, can buy in a fee months at a price that likely reflects what the true value should have been all along ?

Reactions: plh

Treefarmer

All the non campers and Type A’s that bought this crap. Are trying to unload it now. Another 4 months and it will be a used market blood bath. For the handy types who figured they would need to basically rebuild anything they bought, can buy in a fee months at a price that likely reflects what the true value should have been all along ?
We're hoping that applies to many other products and services as well! But RV sales will definitely be at the tip of the spear.

ChasingOurTrunks

I just replied the other day to another thread about a person wanting to go Full Time, and even since then, I have had experiences that fully validate what has been shared here. Don't get me wrong, I love the lifestyle, but I think the best advice is what @Treefarmer said about being willing to roll with the punches and expect crap.

Case in point: I had previously posted here on Expo about my RV's stove not working right when the heater was on (this thread). Before I could address that issue, we learned that the stove wasn't installed correctly. And the way we found that out was our trailer caught on fire yesterday and nearly ended in disaster; my wife was on the ball with the extinguisher thankfully, because another 30 seconds would have meant a pretty horrible end to this story. The cause of the fire is the hose that connects the stovetop to the propane system was not installed properly and appears to have a leak that we did not previously detect. When we started the burner, that leak caught fire and wouldn't go out till we hit it with the extinguisher. The RV is only 7-8 weeks old - we just got it at the end of August, and it has less than 2,000 kms on it. I've called the sales person, who told us to contact the service desk, who then bumped us to insurance, who feels this should be a warranty issue and is going back to the dealership for us, so it's a bit of a ride, but the fact of the matter is this was nearly a fatal experience that should not have happened to begin with. I understand, however, that our experience isn't exactly unique.

All this could have been addressed (or at least mitigated) with ticketed gasfitters doing the installations. Or, y'know, people who at least remember to put the yellow teflon tape on the brass fitting, or whatever the current best practice is. We are, similarly, having challenges with our electrical -- one of the outlets only works when there are two things plugged in; if you want to use only the top or bottom receptacle, the entire outlet won't provide power, but if the outlet has two things plugged in, both things work fine. So that's another example of having someone who doesn't know what they are doing installing critical components like electrical and gas.

As it stands now, this was nearly a deathtrap for me and my family, and the only thing that is likely to satisfy me is if someone comes out and goes through the whole propane and electrical system to ensure this can't happen again at any other connection. I'm not expecting that I will get that result at this stage, so my plan B is to do all this stuff myself - I know enough from having built my own rigs over the years that I can make this trailer safe for sure - but that tanks the value of this trailer substantially, and a guy shouldn't have to do that on a brand new product they just paid tens of thousands of dollars for.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
This is the kind of stuff that makes me think about buying a used unit at a deep discount, if that happens, then gut it and build to suit my OCD and desires.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Yep
But used units still need to be decent and still need to be far lower than new. Example Geopros same trailer brand new today can be found advertised by dealers at $26,000 new. Same trailer a yr old used with a loan on it, dragged through who knows what listed for $34,000 definitely not happening.

Even new some dealers still have listings at $36,000???.
In 4-5 months this lack of reality on pricing definitely will be a reality check on the used stuff. Which case I’m thinking 2017-2018 pre pandemic Airstream knowing I have a long list of fixes that thankfully is heavily documented by other owners. But pricing needs to be 1/2 what the near new stuff is going for

NOPEC

This is the kind of stuff that makes me think about buying a used unit at a deep discount, if that happens, then gut it and build to suit my OCD and desires.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Yup again, and with basic skills and a friend or two with a few more, it is amazing what you can create that is both excellent and your own, even from the old stuff!!
20191118_145424.jpg
20191118_145424.jpg
20210720_183858.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: plh

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Yep…In 4-5 months this lack of reality on pricing definitely will be a reality check on the used stuff. Which case I’m thinking… pre pandemic

⬆ That there’s definitely going to be the key to smart shopping today ??

Last edited:

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
If manufacturers are doing such a crappy job of finishing a camper what makes you think that they will be careful about the frame, running gear, basic shell?

I think one would be better off starting with a construction trailer or building on a flatbed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12