Great pricing on KYB Monomax shocks

BushPig

Observer
Are these Monomax's good shocks for Montero's? Are they the top-of-the-line KYB shock? What else is comparable, or better, in performance for an off-road Montero?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I was fine with their Gas-Adjust line in my gen I. Still have the OEM adjustables in my gen ii but they're on their way out...

bpfamily

rove around
I have the red Monomax on my 1999 Montero for 30,000 miles now with the rear sway bar removed. No problems at all. Would replace with the same. I also have the white Gas-Adjust on my 1990 swb and would replace with the same.

Brad P.

limp_noodle

Adventurer
For me it was either a toss up between the Gas-Adjusts or the Monomax's.

I was originally going to purchase the Gas-Adjust shocks, but I found this deal on the Monomax shocks.

To update. I got them in and they looks fine. I'm going to install them tomorrow.

BushPig

Observer
Definitely would like to hear how they ride/handle/perform, limp_noodle!!

Send us a pic of them before they go in, too! :)

plh

Explorer
I have Gas A Justs on my Gen 1 - great improvement over the Skyjackers I had on it before. Handle the 33" tires just fine. Putting Gas A Justs on my Gen 2 tomorrow. Old shock on it are shot.

limp_noodle

Adventurer
Installed them yesterday and only put on less than 30 miles. So far so good. They ride better than the Monroe's that were on there, which were blown. I like the ride a lot. Its a bit stiffer and more stable overall.

The KYBs replaced the blown out Monroe's:

Fresh out of the box:

Rears installed:

Fronts installed:

limp_noodle

Adventurer
Not hard at all. It was my second time replacing shocks on the truck.

The job is a lot easier if you have air tools, but its 100% doable if you don't.

BushPig

Observer
Did you have the factory adjustable shocks previously? And if so, what did you do to block off or delete that system?

limp_noodle

Adventurer
do these shocks have the same travel as factory?

Don't know what the stock travel is, but according to rock auto the monomax shocks have a 4.02" stroke.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=503736&cc=1430290

Did you have the factory adjustable shocks previously? And if so, what did you do to block off or delete that system?

I don't have the factory adjustable shocks, but from what I've read those things will last a good amount of time.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I would expect travel to be pretty close especially since from everything I've read/learned KYB made the Mitsu Adjustable shocks so they would know the stock travel if anyone does.

About the hardest thing with the KYB's is when installing them without a proper lift, they expend readily once you remove the retaining strap that holds them compressed and they can be difficult to recompress.

I haven't tried the Monomax shocks and I've always wondered what the effective difference is on our rigs & if it's significant enough to warrant the price difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78