Great thread: Brazilian Bandeirante

nickw

Adventurer
dieselcruiserhead said:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=191664

Lots of neat pictures of these awesome Brazilian models made through 2001 I believe...

I love the 4-door truck model, wow!

I wonder what the logistics of getting one shipped up the the states is? I reckon you could buy one, "swap" the body onto a stretched FJ40/FJ60 and be good to go. I recall seeing one of the Cruiser specialties shops swapping one of those bodies onto a Tacoma platform, dont remember the web site though.

Are they running the 3B engine? It is shown as a 3.66 L, but if I recall the 3B was a 3.4L?

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Next to impossible or very expensive for anything other than 25 years or older. TLC in California has had good luck with using the late model Bandierante bodies on older frames.

Last edited:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
motors

I recall seeing one of the Cruiser specialties shops swapping one of those bodies onto a Tacoma platform, dont remember the web site though.

I saw that too.... very cool!

Are they running the 3B engine? It is shown as a 3.66 L, but if I recall the 3B was a 3.4L?[/QUOTE]

I thought they had a Benz diesel motor in them, not a Toyota....

Jay in NY

Brian894x4

Explorer
I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole, although they look cool as heck.

The reason is that there's very little "Toyota" anything in those rigs. They are almost exclusively local parts sourced. The body parts are stamped using Toyota machines and are licensed by Toyota, but many of the other parts are non-Toyota, including the engines, transmissions, axles, brakes, etc. One of the engines they use was a Mercedes diesel.

And from what I hear from people who've owned them and emailed me, they aren't the most reliable vehicle around. But they were apparently very expensive.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I'm not sure on the specifics but I know they were also powered by 14B-T diesels as well as Benz diesels. They have their own chronology, much like cruisers internationally/stateside. I sure would be interested in at least checking one out...

Loras BR

Observer
Hi,

The Toyota Bandeirantes was produced here in Brazil until 2001.

Until 1989 they used a MB-364 engine known as 608 with 04 spd gear box.

From 1990 to 1993 they used the MB-384 engine known as 709 with 04 spd gear box.

From 1993 - 1994 they used the MB-384 engine with 05 spd gear box.

From 1994 -2001 they used the Toyota 14B with 05 spd gear box.

Toyotas are recognized here by its simplicity and real reliability.

All parts are Toyotas. Very different from our Troller and Engesa/Envemo, wich has parts of differents vehicles.

They are tought!!! But you need a good spine columm to drive it, because the suspension is really hard.

Today they are expensive. Good ones are around U$25k.

There is a group here, Toyoteiros (as Jeepeiros): www.toyoteiros.com.br

You can find more information here too: http://www.4x4brasil.com.br/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37

[]s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears