Great Trip to Pyramid Lake NV

Topher Walters

Adventurer
I went up to Pyramid Lake NV for a week adventure and fly fishing. The fishing and weather was great. It is always nice to get away to such a quiet and beautiful area. Here is a picture of my best fish of the week.

SLOwag

Adventurer
Ouch! That's a nice fish.

I haven't fished that lake yet, what kind of tackle and flies were you using? Fishing from a boat?

Please embellish freely ;)

spressomon

Expedition Leader
peasbugs said:
I went up to Pyramid Lake NV for a week adventure and fly fishing. The fishing and weather was great. It is always nice to get away to such a quiet and beautiful area. Here is a picture of my best fish of the week.

Yeah...it kinda sucks the reservation (Paiute) closed the "nets" area off March 15 this year for the first time in a long time or ever. So you have guys fishing casting from shore...to the back side of the guys on ladders...who are casting to the guys on float tubes...who are casting into the folks trying to cast to shore from boats. :mad:

Glad you had a great time...and that is a nice one you have posted up!

Topher Walters

Adventurer
We fished Howards Bay and did well from float tubes until the wind got extereme(picture victory at sea). We fished the area of the Pyramid and only got a few. Pelican and Seperators were the best from both the ladders and float tubes. We did well at the far end of Pelician (near the point) but I talked to a few guys that said they killed them near the launch ramp at Pelician. We were fly fishing the entire time with the typical "local" flies, beetles and buggers. I was some what dissapointed with the closure of the Nets but after the trip I think it was a good thing. I got to see and fish alot more of the lake than I have done before. The closure does cause people to stack up in smaller areas but if you search for other areas you can find good water and fish. We fished Howards Bay and caught about 20 fish each and didn't see another person all day. One thing I did notice was that, because of the closure, the average size of the fish was smaller but there were many more exceptional fish. The fish in the picture is 10lbs. and several in my group caught fish at close to 10lbs. I guy two ladders down from me caught a 13 pounder. It was amazing.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
peasbugs said:
We fished Howards Bay and did well from float tubes until the wind got extereme(picture victory at sea). We fished the area of the Pyramid and only got a few. Pelican and Seperators were the best from both the ladders and float tubes. We did well at the far end of Pelician (near the point) but I talked to a few guys that said they killed them near the launch ramp at Pelician. We were fly fishing the entire time with the typical "local" flies, beetles and buggers. I was some what dissapointed with the closure of the Nets but after the trip I think it was a good thing. I got to see and fish alot more of the lake than I have done before. The closure does cause people to stack up in smaller areas but if you search for other areas you can find good water and fish. We fished Howards Bay and caught about 20 fish each and didn't see another person all day. One thing I did notice was that, because of the closure, the average size of the fish was smaller but there were many more exceptional fish. The fish in the picture is 10lbs. and several in my group caught fish at close to 10lbs. I guy two ladders down from me caught a 13 pounder. It was amazing.

It is a neat lake...glad you had a great time! Sounds like you figured out how to get away from the 'concentrators'...

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Hi Chris,

Man, that is a great photo and really makes me miss fishing. Nice hat too!

The last time I was by Pyramid Lake it was driving in the Nevada Trophy :smiley_drive:

Topher Walters

Adventurer
The Pymarid Lake area is truly amazing and beautiful. I am amazed by the rock/tufa formations and where you can see the lake level high up on the mountians around the lake. The lake at one time filled the whole basin. They sell an incredible history book at the Crosby Lodge. When you leave the Sparks/Reno metro area and are crusing thru the desert hills on the road to Pyramid and then you come over the last hill and see the lake it is amazing.

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
The mountains above and south of Pyramid are also great for off-roading. My family wheel and ride dirtbikes out at Moon Rocks which is kind of on the way. I agree, nice fish!
Chas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179