Great White: A Chevy K10 Build

Ouiwee

Observer
It took some work to get the lights to sit just right in the bedside.

PCB57Lg.jpg

The reinforced front panel turned out well.

9I7mboU.jpg

I need to get cracking on a new bumper.

ZtbGWoZ.jpg

8VAI9St.jpg

75SUB4X4

Great Build! I am planning something similar with my suburban (ORD Coilover kit) what size King coilovers did you get? Is there anything you would have done differently?

Thanks again!

Ouiwee

Observer
Great Build! I am planning something similar with my suburban (ORD Coilover kit) what size King coilovers did you get? Is there anything you would have done differently?

Thanks again!

I bought the ORD kit and they spec'd the coilovers. They are 2.5" as I recall, but I'd have to look up the spring rates and length (they have 14" of travel).

I guess if I could have found a manual 1 ton K30 in decent condition, I could have saved some cost. However, I like the idea of having a separate frame that I can take my time with and get sorted out just right before swapping the body. And, the VIN on the CUCV truck is emissions exempt.

Ouiwee

Observer
I got the aluminum front track bar and rear wheel spacers installed.

5DLVylQ.jpg

The next project is to get this thing installed. I bought a manual steering column off ebay and rebuilt it and painted the entire affair.

eWTfev1.jpg

I cleaned and repacked the bearings and replaced all the electrical stuff with new Delco parts. It is all nice and crisp now. I didn't bother with tilt steering.

While at it, I'm swapping out the rag joint for a Borgeson u-joint shaft.

Ouiwee

Observer
Steering column is installed. No more column shift nub. I need to fabricate a steering wheel for this thing.

JigguIj.jpg

I also managed to relocate the fine particle fuel filter to somewhere more serviceable.

7uswT8x.jpg

I still need to clean up the engine compartment and attend to some odds and ends.

I hauled the track car and trailer 100+ miles last weekend in 85 degree temps through mountainous terrain--the first legitimate pulling test. It is worlds better than the 383 ci engine I had before but the 8,000 lbs behind the truck is still noticeable. It cruises nice at around 65 mph.

I might yet have to consider a little bit of boost with this thing. Maybe 5 or 8 lbs would do it. I reckon 700 ft/lbs of torque would make hauling less work.

Ouiwee

Observer
I put in a fuel gauge, just because. Next is to work on cleaning up wire routing, fuel lines, etc.

KIMG0596.JPG

With the cap installed.
KIMG0610.JPGKIMG0611.JPG

The truck looks very much different with the cap...almost like a suburban. It seems bigger, too.

I finally got the Detroit locker pulled out of the 14 bolt. I had an ARB locker installed and what a difference! No screeching around parking lots. No torque steer all over the road.

I also FINALLY located the source of a slight rattle in the driveline: a loose rear output flange on the transfer case. It is all nice and tight now, and quiet. Well, as quiet as an NV4500 and Atlas II can be I guess.

Ouiwee

Observer
I finally got some time to work on a rear bumper. It is an understatement to say it was a lot of work.

It is nice to have a truck for checking the fit without the risk of damaging the paint.

KIMG0665.JPG

Rough set up is a loop around the corner to match the front bumper. I attempted to keep the departure angle as high as possible. I'll need a serious drop on the trailer hitch.

KIMG0667.JPG

There are a couple 1/2" x 2" bars tying into the frame rails on the sides for good measure. The tube is 95 wall chromoly and the bottom plate is 3/16 chromoly (4130).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan