GregB_00XJ M101 CDN2 "Way too Red" Build Thread (finally)

Nonprophet

Observer
Great trailer!! Do you have a source on the folding kitchen table set up?

Thanks!

Custom Kitchen installed. Thanks Wavebreaker (Mike) for your efforts and for your time.

The best part, these are designed to fit into come aluminum "C" channel bolted into the inside of the tub and lined with some felt. They are load dividers and will help keep everything in place when I am on the trails. Will hopefully get the brackets installed tomorrow and take some pics of that process.

Next up, water tank and exterior lighting!!

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Great trailer!! Do you have a source on the folding kitchen table set up?

Thanks!

I do indeed...

His name is Mike, and he goes by the name of "Wavebreaker" here on the forums. He has a Woody ExPo trailer, and makes everything that I pretty much have on this project. lol He rigged this up in a few days in his home shop, along with a lot of my stuff, including my lid. Great work, not sure if he would ship or not?

VanIsle_Greg

Oops...forgot my update.

I finally finished putting the Guest 6A charger in. It worked out really well, and I am STOKED that I now have plug in charge-ability, so it is super easy to keep the battery maintained now.

I added 3 x stainless screws in the blank holes, not in this pic.

I still need to replace the little bungy straps with something more perminent. I will make up some custom canvas straps with buckles for the HW heater to mount in here, so I will make one for the battery box as well. I still have an inverter to install, but I am not sure if I will now as I never seem to need shore power 110 when away, not even in our camping trailer?? Might get rid of it and opt for a solar maintenance kit, like a 15 WATT setup I saw this weekend and a nice maintainer.

I also FINALLY got my propane tank and custom "Wavebreaker" special holder installed. Another custom unit made by mike in his home shop. Aluminum with a stainless strap. I added 2 x 3/4 x 3/4 blocks behind to raise the backing plate up away from all the tub lumps. Worked out great!!

All lined up ready to mark and drill

And like 3 hours later, installed. Had to prime/paint and touch up the steel blocks, I also had to trim a section out to go around the triangle M101 CDN reinforcing plates, that was the suck but it worked well. MAN that extra piece of steel is hard stuff. I should have dropped this a 1/2 an inch lower, it touches the tub a bit. I also need to make 2 backing plates for the nuts inside. I am not comfortable enough with the washers only, even though there are 6 and 2 go thorough the frame.

Managed to re-do the install of my gas can holder too. I had to mount it facing out and not along the front of the tire swing out. It is not ideal, but now I have a spot for my Hi Lift to go!! Win from a lose...I'll take it. No pics...apparently I forgot?

<placeholder for pic>

Picked up my water tank too, no time to get it laid out and marked for the holes. One night this week!!
Woot!

Last edited:

hesterj

Adventurer
I can not wait to see your water tank update. This is where my M416 is stalled at in its build. Life got in the way of working on it this year so im living through yall. Lol

Keep up the good work Greg. You should be proud of the amout of detail Mike and you are doing. A buddy like him would be nice to have around....all mine wanna do is come over and drink all the beer! :)

---your tags for the trailer run out this month.-----

VanIsle_Greg

Heh... thanks HesterJ.

Yeah, it is a struggle to find the time to work on it at all. I was hoping to be at this stage last year, and then this year I had hoped to be nearly complete a month or two ago. Two young kids, soccer/skating/ballet/birthdays so much to do so little time. I should have the tank up under the trailer tonight or tomorrow, at least for measuring and sizing. I still need to find a spot for the FloJet water pump too. I also need to find a place to run the inlet for water, the vent and the water line out, as well as decide on a drain or not?

Then once I decide where to put it all, I need to devise a skid plate for the front of the tank. I think the under tub idea is the best for COG and weight, as it is low and near the axle, but it presents its own challenges. Not to mention, this sucker is getting heavy too. Once all is said and done, I bet I am at 1200# without water.

Getting very excited to get out to use it, although next weekend we are camping again, but with the BIG trailer. Mike is coming with his trailer, he has done a TON of work on it lately, nothing big, just a lot of little things that add up to a lot.

Oh and I re-insured it on the weekend! Thanks for the reminder.

You seem to make the time count. I have watched your build from the beginning and it seems like at my rate my M100 would take me 50 years to catch up. That is one of the best builds I have seen. If you are ever in my area I would like to see it.

VanIsle_Greg

You seem to make the time count. I have watched your build from the beginning and it seems like at my rate my M100 would take me 50 years to catch up. That is one of the best builds I have seen. If you are ever in my area I would like to see it.

Wow, I am flattered. I basically took the stuff I liked from others builds and made it my own. Then I did some stuff I wanted and went to town. It sure helps having a buddy who is a Master Shipwright with a shop and a penchant for ExPo trailers...lol. I do get down that way from time to time, haven't taken this down there yet...yet. We are supposed to be doing the WABDR this summer, but time does not look like it is on our side this year, sadly.

Thanks for the Props! Oh and one thing maybe none of you have noticed yet...I can put this trailer back to stock OEM Military condition in a matter of days. It was important to me to keep it close to stock and not cut it up. Just in case one day these are really rare and are worth a lot historically. I have a BIG box of parts I would have to bolt back on, and a LOT of holes to weld up, but it could be done.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
It looks too good to ever go back to original. Well thought out additions and a great build!
Love the RED too! Just a cool trailer!

VanIsle_Greg

Thanks Mark...I am really digging this trailer too. I wish I had more time to use it, but as I will likely keep it forever or at least for a very long time, I will have lots of opportunities in the future. Going to haul it out and measure up the tank straps and plan out the tank skid plate tonight after work...once that is done and installed, phase 2 will be complete. Whats phase 3 you ask?

I have no idea...lol

hesterj

Adventurer
Got any details of the size tank you went with? Link?

I'm going bonkers here waiting on the next installment!!! :p
Have fun on the camp out.

VanIsle_Greg

Hey HesterJ...

I picked up the tank locally at a marine store. Apparently they are made not that far away, in Vancouver I believe? It was $130.00 for a 13 gal tank, and it comes with 3 holes... vent, fill and water out. They send you home with the tank with no holes, then you mark out where you want them and they friction weld them in. They offered to put in a drain for me for free, a $10.00 charge usually.

http://www.ippnet.com/plastics/bags-bottles-a-containers/tanks/potable-water-marine-a-rv.html

This is another local supplier that sells the same tanks. Nice tank, should be good at only 8" deep. It will hang down a bit, but I am fabbing up a skid plate for it, so it will be all good. I also have to come up with a mount for the water pump. The FloJet I have is the 2.9 GPM pump, and should work great for this application. I think I am going to pick up a waterproof electrical box and also mount it under the tub. I will simply drill some holes and seal it up and secure it to the tub bottom near the tank. Maybe...lol

I too am anxious for the next update, haven't touched it in almost a whole week!
:)

Flashole

Adventurer
It's funny......I can't wait to be done with mine, but I can't stop conjuring up things that I can do to it. I really don't even camp that often, I just love these little trailers and have enjoyed working on mine:sombrero:

Looking forward to seeing your water tank installed and working.

VanIsle_Greg

We went camping again this weekend...of course, in the big camping trailer. I have a feeling that the RTT on the trailer, while big is not going to be big enough for all 4 of us. Maybe I need another one for the Jeep? lol

I will hopefully have the tank mocked up and measured for the straps and attachments this week for install next weekend! Then, a LOT to do to get it online. I camp reasonably often, and have plans to get out a lot more!!

VanIsle_Greg

Great build as always Greg. I really like the propane tank mounts. Did you make those or buy them?

Hey Josh.
My buddy Mike designed the tank mount. It is similar to most of them out there, but he made it himself. Nice thick aluminum and a stainless strap and lockable latch. I made the 2 steel pieces that spaced it out from the tub. Worked out well, but it is a busy spot on the trailer and I had to notch the rear most bracket to clear the triangle reinforced corner piece the M101 CDN2 trailers have.

On another note, I hit my 10GB bandwidth "free" limit on PhotoBucket. I have been happily using it for years now, so I am going to buck up and upgrade to a pro account. Ha ha... pro... yeah right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger