GregB_00XJ M101 CDN2 "Way too Red" Build Thread (finally)

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
What a fine job you did on both :)

Thanks very much... I like them both too! lol

Cherokee looks awesome! Did you have to do anything to the hitch to keep the trailer level?
Ps: Love the RED!

Red, the more the better. Actually I havent even had my sad little red trailer out of the shed yet, still in hibernation. I have a 6" drop receiver hitch that should do the trick. It is rated for 5000# and a 500 pound tongue weight if I recall. That should work to keep it all level? I hope.

Looks good! My old cherokee had the long arm kit and dana 44 front and rear. Great truck except for the constant AC leaks from who knows where.

My AC leaked out shortly after I got it. I think I had AC for about a week. heh Soon to become an on boar air system. Just need to grab the rest of the fittings and a pressure switch!

That sucker is looking good man. Any way you could get some more red on it?

I had wondered what happened on the trailer, but forgot you live in the land of snow snakes.

Anxious to see the development and the awning in action.

I have a plan...we shall see if it works out? Thanks for the kind words.

How do you plan on mounting the awning? At 8' I'm assuming off the side... but isn't your kitchen off the back of the trailer?

I'm copying what my buddy Sam (Rubicon Fan) did with his - hopefully as early as next month.

Actually, it will go across the back, but get removed and mounted on the side or on the XJ roof for travel. I am planning on a similar setup to your friends. Some square steel, some brackets and some quick release hardware and I should be GTG. I hve a pic in my head of how it "should" work, just need to get with the fabbin!! My buddy Mike (Wavebreaker) is about to finish his offroad teardrop and start on another... so I need to get in there and get him my plans ASAP!!

VanIsle_Greg

Hi Greg I'm debating getting a Dee Zee box for my build as all the nice metal ones weights 50 pounds.

I read there is a lot of issues with water getting in while being used in bad weather. Did you modify yours ?

Hey ZeMax.

Yes, they leak awfully when they are used in stock form. I had some leftover "P" gasket from the lid seal I used, and then grabbed a little neoprene gasket for the rear. It is sealed up and works great now. I can keep the dust out on the driest of roads, and I don't seem to get any water at all in there now. Even under full blast from the hose.

I like the fact that the plastic boxes are light. I had a beautifully fabbed steel box that was custom made for the CDN M101 but it was overkill and added about 60# to the front...empty. Ugh, way too much. Too bad too because it was beautifully made and one of 3 in the world. Sold it to very nice people.

I can snap a few pics of the seals if you like?

VanIsle_Greg

That would be greatly appreciared.

Envoyé de mon SGH-T999V en utilisant Tapatalk

Yeah for sure, no worries. I will pop a few pics tomorrow evening after work or on the weekend. They are cheap boxes, and they are sturdy and do the job if you seal them up well! Happy with mine.

VanIsle_Greg

So sorry ZeMax. TOTAL brain fart, I forgot to take those pics. I am home all week as my wife is working evenings, so I will get to it ASAP.

Side note, I picked up a new to me Camping Labs awning (7' one) today from a guy in Vancouver. Going to fab up some mounts and this will be set up over my kitchen at the rear of the trailer. Nice coverage and the ability to run a bug screen if I needed to around the whole works.

smokin deal too, hardly used, maybe 5 or 6 times. Need to get on that, camping season is upon us!

VanIsle_Greg

Hey thanks everybody!

Nope, sadly not out in the trailer this weekend, but I should have been, beautiful weekend here. I was out on the trails yesterday however, exploring the Sooke watershed and the dams/reservoirs.

I did get something very useful for my birthday. I picked up a new tool box base for my upper cabinet that I have had for about 6 years.

VanIsle_Greg

Hey Marty,
Thanks for checking out the build thread. The De Sta Co latches I have are (if I recall) the 331 - Pull Action Latch Clamps. They are not lockable. I ended up using a ppad lock and hasp setup. Not pretty, but FUGLY (functional ugly).

http://www.destaco.com/standard-horizontal-u-hook.html

I did drill the latches for some pins so that they cannot open accidentally if hit by a tree branch etc? Other than that these latches are excellent. I have nearly the same thing on my XJ's rear swing out tire carrier only it is the bigger more HD style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger