Grenadier: AluCab Pop Up Conversion a Reality

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
If they designed the conversion top similar to the 76, then that section of inner headliner was left intake. It would be a must for the Grenadier due to the overhead switches.

SkiWill

There's also the side curtain airbags that they have to work around so I suspect that they will have to keep the opening a little narrower than "full width" as well.

While I'm sure it will be more expensive than I can either afford or would be willing to pay, it's great to see this as an option. Finally a viable North American vehicle that can substitute for all of those now annoying Troopy builds. I know the Ursa Minor has been available for Jeep for quite some time, but the roll cage is kind of in the way.

If money were no object, a Grenadier pop top (or similar sized concept) is one of my ideal vehicles. Hopefully this will remain in production long enough that I can build up the stomach for whatever it costs.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I'm guessing this will be $15 to $20k with install.

I think a normal Troopy conversion is $9-10k..maybe 12k before install cost.

utherjorge

Observer
There's also the side curtain airbags that they have to work around so I suspect that they will have to keep the opening a little narrower than "full width" as well.

While I'm sure it will be more expensive than I can either afford or would be willing to pay, it's great to see this as an option. Finally a viable North American vehicle that can substitute for all of those now annoying Troopy builds. I know the Ursa Minor has been available for Jeep for quite some time, but the roll cage is kind of in the way.

If money were no object, a Grenadier pop top (or similar sized concept) is one of my ideal vehicles. Hopefully this will remain in production long enough that I can build up the stomach for whatever it costs.

I love your reply...except for "annoying troopy builds." wat?

SkiWill

It’s only annoying we can’t get new troopies here.
That's more what I was getting at with being annoyed. YouTube is full of Troopy build after Troopy build which is completely unrelatable to those in NA unless we want to spend Grenadier+ money to import a 25 year old example (15 years old for my friends to the North), have it overhauled so it's actually reliable, then do a conversion. It gets stale after a while, so I'm hoping to see some ideas of what can be done with a Grenadier since it is actually possible to get a modern wagon with a pop top in NA now.

Jeep Wrangler has payload and roll cage limitations with the Ursa Minor, although I know Dan managed to sort those out in his Africa Jeep. However, it will be refreshing to see some new builds instead of, "hey I'm building another Troop Carrier, but this is new because it has an automatic transmission." Yawn. If you like Troop Carrier builds, there's hours upon hours of YouTube content. Speaking for myself, I'm over them and looking forward to something new and different.

nickw

Adventurer
That's more what I was getting at with being annoyed. YouTube is full of Troopy build after Troopy build which is completely unrelatable to those in NA unless we want to spend Grenadier+ money to import a 25 year old example (15 years old for my friends to the North), have it overhauled so it's actually reliable, then do a conversion. It gets stale after a while, so I'm hoping to see some ideas of what can be done with a Grenadier since it is actually possible to get a modern wagon with a pop top in NA now.

Jeep Wrangler has payload and roll cage limitations with the Ursa Minor, although I know Dan managed to sort those out in his Africa Jeep. However, it will be refreshing to see some new builds instead of, "hey I'm building another Troop Carrier, but this is new because it has an automatic transmission." Yawn. If you like Troop Carrier builds, there's hours upon hours of YouTube content. Speaking for myself, I'm over them and looking forward to something new and different.
Hence why Toyota has never imported them....after they novelty wears off it's just another rig, an expensive one at that, that rides like a 1980's Toyota mini-truck with pathetic performance numbers that would struggle to keep up with traffic (looking at the 1HZ). I see them locally a lot - they don't do anything for me, for $15k maybe, but not where these things are priced out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998