Lexus GX550 Overtrail vs. Grenadier or new Toyota Land Cruiser?

Sid Post

Observer
Lexus GX model spec and feature comparisons

GX550.jpg

It looks like the Lexus GX550 Overtrail and Ineos Grenadier are essentially the same price, or at least close enough as configured to not be a significant discriminator. At retail, the new 2024/2025 Toyota Land Cruiser is suggested to start at the mid-$50K price point which is ~$15,000 cheaper than the other two.

The Toyota Land Cruiser will have the 2.4L Four cylinder light hybrid which will be a deal killer for some people. What it means in terms of MPG and additional maintenance is TBD. The GX550 with its Turbo V-6 and Grenadier with its BMW 3.0L turbo straight 6 are both going to be better for anyone pulling a trailer.

The new Land Cruiser and GX-550 seem to be similar in terms of other specifications with both apparently having a locking center differential and a rear locker versus the Grenadier which is triple locked with the "rough pack".

So, is the GX550 going to be a better option in terms of aftermarket support and utility? Service issues I think will be less as well since a Toyota dealer could probably fix most things needed to get home if some sort of failure in the field put it into "limp mode". The Grenadier to me is a little suspect with its BMW powertrain if I were to have an issue away from home though, a BMW dealer or mechanic may be able to patch things up for a get home capability though, I'm not sure that is allowed in terms of the support tools that would need to connect to it. I should note, my "home" dealer is both a BMW and Grenadier dealership.

So, assuming you want to add a front mounted winch and brush guard (cow catcher) along with a roof rack, drawer system in back, and sleep platform, Grenadier or GX-550 or, save ~$15,000 and go with a 2024/2025 Land Cruiser and possibly a little better MPG?

What do the RKI around here think when comparing these three? What have I missed or overlooked? What is your choice and why?

TIA,
Sid

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The cruiser will hold value more than the Lexus if that matters to you. The grenadier has the on the road handling characteristics of an old twin I beam Ford truck with worn ball joints in the video today posted by TrailRecon on YouTube. He was chasing that wheel like he was coming off turn four looking at a checkered flag…. He isn’t dramatic and he claims a Jeep on 37s has better road manners.Personally I’d get the cruiser- it has all the power you need, tons of aftermarket support will follow.

Sid Post

Observer
The cruiser will hold value more than the Lexus if that matters to you. The grenadier has the on the road handling characteristics of an old twin I beam Ford truck with worn ball joints in the video today posted by TrailRecon on YouTube. He was chasing that wheel like he was coming off turn four looking at a checkered flag…. He isn’t dramatic and he claims a Jeep on 37s has better road manners.Personally I’d get the cruiser- it has all the power you need, tons of aftermarket support will follow.

Regarding the YouTuber, I don't know that one but wonder if it is a bit of drama for likes, you know, general click bait type stuff.

There are a lot of people driving Grenadier's in a daily driver role who are happy with them compared to their other daily drivers so, I'd say TrailRecon's review misses the mark for real owners though, it is probably good for clicks for tire kickers who will never even demo one.

I don't buy a vehicle as an investment or looking for resale value. Sure, it may be a consideration but it also isn't a primary concern.

Regarding aftermarket support, the Land Cruiser and GX550 both seem to be better options with a lot of commonality to leverage the aftermarket support for things most common to overlanding. How much in common with the Tacoma and FourRunner remains to be seen but I suspect a lot of cross compatibility for common items there too.

sn_85

Observer
Only way to know is to test drive them and get in seat feel. I know that’s probably tough since dealers don’t have the GX550 or LC yet and you probably have to put down a deposit or reservation of some sort and I think Ineos is still catching up with pre-orders. I guess it depends on time frame and if you have time to get some real in seat time with the vehicles. If you can’t test drive them you may go to one of the Overland Expos, they will no doubt, have all 3 vehicles there to at least touch and sit in.

I guess if you were going off paper I’d probably get the Lexus GX550. If it’s a Lexus it’ll be refined as heck, great dealership experience and treatment, national dealer network and they’ll treat you right if there’s any warranty issues. If you’re like most of us and your time is 90% on-road then I’d get the Lexus or Toyota. If you are a 50% off road guy or just want something that was purely built for off-roading then the Ineos looks great too.

Sid Post

Observer
Only way to know is to test drive them and get in seat feel. I know that’s probably tough since dealers don’t have the GX550 or LC yet and you probably have to put down a deposit or reservation of some sort and I think Ineos is still catching up with pre-orders.

Sewell Ineos in Plano, Texas says current lead times are 8~9months so, we are essentially talking about 2025 at this point for most people traveling somewhere other than a snow ski destination. I still tend to think that it will be long after that before the new Land Cruisers arrive in the USA and don't have huge mark-ups with dealer adds and outright "market rate adjustments."

Regarding the GX-550, I am seriously hoping Sewell Lexus in Dallas gets a demo vehicle in the next few months. That could be the tipping point I need to not wait for an LC or Grenadier late this year or next year.

I guess it depends on time frame and if you have time to get some real in seat time with the vehicles. If you can’t test drive them you may go to one of the Overland Expos, they will no doubt, have all 3 vehicles there to at least touch and sit in.

I normally go the the Mountain West Expo in Fort Collins, CO and still think back on the mud fest with the rains in the middle of the event last time! Ineos was there the year prior but, last year only Lexus was there as a factory supported Overlander showcase. Lexus is definitely making a big push into Overlander popularity. There was a good representation though of factory options from several of the big names but, Jeep was missing.

I guess if you were going off paper I’d probably get the Lexus GX550. If it’s a Lexus it’ll be refined as heck, great dealership experience and treatment, national dealer network and they’ll treat you right if there’s any warranty issues. If you’re like most of us and your time is 90% on-road then I’d get the Lexus or Toyota. If you are a 50% off road guy or just want something that was purely built for off-roading then the Ineos looks great too.

As a winter bound keyboard commando, the Lexus GX550 seems to be a strong offering into our market with an entry level price of $70K. If they are available in the second quarter at MSRP, they are apt to take a good portion of the market IMHO.

I really need to put my hands on one though because I have learned that reading about something often leads to expectations that won't be met in real life.

HUMMER/Expeditions

Have you guys ever dismantled Lexus or other Toyota high end vehicles?
My good friend has Lexus auto recycling place in Los Angeles , let me tell you, those vehicles are made with one thing in mind, ONE MILLION MILES,
99% of the bolts and nuts on those are made by USA equivalent grade 8 bolts.
that alone tells you what the engineering team was thinking when they were making those vehicles.

MOAK

Adventurer
If I were a party type of guy, with lots of money to blow I’d get the Grenadier, just for the fun of being part of an experiment. I’m not though, I party once in a while and only have a little money. Currently I drive a 96 LX450, with 371,000 miles and have occasionally thought about what I would replace it with, if I ever needed to. However, barring the odd catastrophy, such as a hurricane, flood, tornado, fire, or even a plane crashing into our carriage house, I would never choose a domestic wagon and I’ve never been one to choose the new kid on the block. Even in pick up basketball games, the new guy always gets picked last, until he proves himself. That would leave 2 choices and the verdict is still out on the LC Hybrid. I’m attracted to the idea of paying less than an average 40 cents per mile for each of our tours. If it can’t easily drag a small trailer, MPG could be as low as 10-12 mpgs.

Sid Post

Observer
Steyr-Puch has been in the G-Wagen game a long time and those are well proven. We aren't talking about Bond Street (London) posers or Mall Crawlers like modern Land Rovers and the domestic USA makes.

The LC/GX and IG are all vehicles built to a better standard.

Yes, you can complain about the passenger side 'bump' in the IG or wish it had a different motor but, follow in the G-Wagen ethos with old school Land Rover style for better or worse so are expected to be durable vehicles.

The LC especially is a well respected vehicle for good reason. It remains to be seen what the final GX-550 will deliver and at what final price but, it has a strong pedigree from the LC Prado which is loved in other parts of the world.

I am leaning a little towards the GX-550 at the moment but, I wonder about how much 'fluff' it will have that would add to maintenance issues over the long haul. That being said, build quality and reliability are expected to be high! However, I think the IG is actually built better for more remote off roading that doesn't need ridiculous rock crawling or mudding prowess. Oversize tires and a bit of body lift for clearance and articulation remain to be seen in terms of cost and function. My main concern is the BMW B58 motor which is a proven and reliable candidate but, due to its complexity with emissions related functions is a personal concern.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I am leaning a little towards the GX-550 at the moment but, I wonder about how much 'fluff' it will have that would add to maintenance issues over the long haul.
I'd go with the GX as well for the reasons listed above as well as the powertrain vs the Land Cruiser. Really though I'm sure the Land Cruiser power train would be more than sufficient for my purposes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior