Grill removal question gen3

jhill15

Explorer
Over the holiday weekend im gonna start bedlining...or plastidipping my grill and bumpers, I havent decided which one yet. Do I have to remove the front bumper, and headlightsto get the grill off? I saw the 3 screws that attach the grill to the bumper and it looks like a pain to get to.
Thanks everyone

jhill15

Explorer
Thanks inyo_man now I just cant decide on bedlining or plastidip. I know the benefits of both but im unsure if the bedliner will hold up on the bumpers and cladding and atleast with the plastidip if I get tired of it or dont like the look I can just remove it.
Thoughts????
Happy 4th!!!!

2003 montero ltd

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I used bedliner on the rear bumper and rocker panels on my rig.
It has held up well. Be sure to use some sort of clear coat to keep fading down to a min.
Sorry, I don't have any experience with plasti-dip on vehicles.
Good Luck, and happy 4th.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
I have no experience with Plastidip, either. If I'm going to put something on my truck, I want it to be as tough and long-lasting as possible. Here's my '01 with the plastic cladding removed, bumpers severely trimmed, and coated with Monstaliner. I chose it because it's UV-stable, has a smooth, pebbly finish, and is quite easy to apply with excellent results. Oh, and I did the grille, mirrors, and tail light surrounds in satin trim paint. It's very durable stuff.

jhill15

Explorer
Man that looks good. I didnt even think about trim paint. What prep did you do for your mirrors and tail lights before painting them?

2003 montero ltd

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
For the painted areas I did a degreasing with MEK or something, then a thorough scuffing with a ScotchBrite pad, a wash, a second degreasing, then spray with adhesion promoter. The satin trim paint has been abused pretty badly by bashing through heavy brush, small trees, etc. and I am extremely impressed with its durability.

The previous finish on all these trim items was faux chrome, so I worked pretty hard to really dull it down with the ScotchBrite.

jhill15

Explorer
Very nice, I gotta say I love yours and imnosaints trucks the most out of all the gen3 ive seen so far. The cladding removal makes it look sick and gives it a beefier stance.

2003 montero ltd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12