grinding noise when turning right

Eric K

Observer
Last week my 06 LR3 started making a pronounced grinding noise when doing sharp turns. Usually it was in a parking lot pulling into a space, turning left doesn't seem to be an issue. Any ideas?

Also, not sure if this is a thing or just my mind playing tricks on me, but I feel like there was a weird noise coming out of the front end when I hit bumps. Only happened a few times, so wasn't sure if I was just making up problems that didn't exist. I would have said control arm/bushings, but I only have 20k on mine and they are almost all road miles.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Not sure if this is it, but it is a surprising source of considerable noise on some vehicles. Rub some axle grease (the red stuff) on the steering limit stop AND the touch point on the control arm that it bumps into. It makes a HUGE difference, and its a super simple thing to do. The photo below is of a Jeep, not an LR3, but its very similar.

1681162212276.png

gatorgrizz27

Wheel bearing would my guess. Fronts are easy, you’re in for a real treat if it’s the rear…

I’m in your support group as well, I also have an LR3 with a recent and mysterious front end clunk when turning. All front end parts are new, crawling under it nothing is loose, so I’ve convinced myself it’s the frame end sway bar bushings :)

Eric K

Observer
Not sure if this is it, but it is a surprising source of considerable noise on some vehicles. Rub some axle grease (the red stuff) on the steering limit stop AND the touch point on the control arm that it bumps into. It makes a HUGE difference, and its a super simple thing to do. The photo below is of a Jeep, not an LR3, but its very similar.

View attachment 773010
I'll give that a shot and see what happens!

Eric K

Observer
been on a business trip, so it's sitting at home not being touched currently. Get back soon and will let you know.

I'm going to agree with gatorgrizz. Check bearings / brake rotor clearances or for grooves on the inside faces. Mine started doing that after new rotors. Hub bearings were shot and thin rotors hid the resulting clearance problem.

protohyp

Adventurer
Turn off DSC when you're doing this maneuver. Its the button above your radio. If you're doing the maneuver fast as in turning a corner most likely its ABS being applied to equalize wheel speed. If it doesn't occur when you have DSC off then you have your answer. Do you have larger tires as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman