Grizzly bear hunts

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Meh. First hunt allowed in 44 years, and they are only going to issue 22 tags? Doesn't sound like the population has really recovered all that much.

Lemme know when there's enough excess bears to issue 100 tags.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
I've been in touch with biologists and many professionals dealing with the Grizzly issue. The simple fact is that the science doesn't back reducing protections.

Sadly, state and even federal wildlife agencies are all too often controlled by politics and this seems to have been a prime case.

Of course this doesn't touch on the ethics of killing for trophy, but that's a separate issue.

Last edited:

loudboy

Observer
Raise your hand if your jimmy is so small that you need to go shoot a grizzly bear to get a rise out of it.

I get hunting for food, no problem there. But to get your rocks off? Something wrong with you. Nothing brave or laudable about pulling a trigger from a hundred yards away when the bear doesn't even know you're there. Now if you did it barehanded I'd be impressed...

jadmt

ignore button user
I am a Montana native all 59+ years. I used to hunt and fish but stopped several years ago just because. I say if someone puts in and gets drawn for a griz tag more power to them and I think they should get the chance to shoot one. has nothing to do with the size of your ******** it has to do with what ever passion you have and some have a passion for hunting critters. My buddy sent me this photo it is near Augusta. Seems pretty common that they are getting killed by cars which perhaps is a sign their numbers are not that small.
5149_zpszdtqzmoj.jpeg

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Meh. First hunt allowed in 44 years, and they are only going to issue 22 tags? Doesn't sound like the population has really recovered all that much.

Lemme know when there's enough excess bears to issue 100 tags.
Maybe they issued a small number out of an abundance of caution? I dunno.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I've been in touch with biologists and many professionals dealing with the Grizzly issue. The simple fact is that the science doesn't back reducing protections.

Sadly, state and even federal wildlife agencies are all too often controlled by politics and this seems to have been a prime case.

Of course this doesn't touch on the ethics of killing for trophy, but that's a separate issue.
What was the population based on science that would support a limited hunt?

BobsCreek

Adventurer
As far as it stands population is just one part of the much larger picture.

Some of the issues in play are climate change which is impacting historic grizzly food sources, habitat loss, the lack of a wildlife corridor that would enable the bears to achieve genetic diversity and of course the fact that they haven't repopulated major portions of available range.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The wildlife corridor will probably not change, the population has increased despite climate change. At some point they have to put a number on the population that would be acceptable to issue hunting tags. It should be a controlled number that allows the population to flourish, like we do with other wildlife, seems that was the plan.

Last edited:

BobsCreek

Adventurer
There is no "acceptable" number for trophy killing, it's not hunting.

But anyways, that is an issue separate from the main issue of why protections are needed.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
Killing for trophy isn't acceptable and serves no purpose, that however isn't the issue behind the bears needing protections. Protections, even as limited as they are, help protect habitat, help the population expand into more areas, and they need to reach other populations for genetic diversity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior