Group Flip Pac Camper Rain Fly Buy

Frostymug

Observer
The reason SLO, and Flippac rain covers sag so much when wet is because they are probably made of nylon. Most rain covers for higher end tents are made from polyester for this reason. Polyester fabrics absorb much less water and therefore stretch at a greatly reduced rate compared with nylon. There are advantages and disadvantages to each material, however, in most cases polyester is the better material for rain covers.

Cliff

billy bee

Adventurer
The reason SLO, and Flippac rain covers sag so much when wet is because they are probably made of nylon. Most rain covers for higher end tents are made from polyester for this reason. Polyester fabrics absorb much less water and therefore stretch at a greatly reduced rate compared with nylon. There are advantages and disadvantages to each material, however, in most cases polyester is the better material for rain covers.

Cliff

SLO Sail uses a polyester fabric with PVC coating. I think nylon is available, but harder to work with and more expensive to begin with, IIRC. One goal of the original hand-raisers was to keep costs down. But poly may be the preferred fabric in the first pace.

bb

Dave Bennett

Adventurist

Cliff

Good to know.

BTW, the SLO storm covers now come with the required straps: http://www.slosailandcanvas.com/servlet/the-1491/FlipPac-Rain-Fly--dsh-/Detail

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I mentioned in post 90 that if you bought an early fly, you could probably call SLO Sails to discuss webbing.

bb

And I called Andrew today and was told that since I bought it early, and from AT and not SLO, that the webbing was not included back in April 2011 so I would have to buy it.

billy bee

Adventurer
I had not thought of the fact tat you bought it from AT rather than SLO Sail. That does make a difference. Did you discuss with Martyn? Anyway, sorry to send you on a wild goose chase, Doc. But I do understand why they would not include them now if bought new from AT.

You should be able to buy 1" webbing from a fabric store or an outdoor store. Don't get anything heavy duty like tubular webbing. You should be able to get what you need very inexpensively. I may have some here at the house; If I come across some extra, I'll be sure to send it your way.

bb

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Thread revival time.

I re-read this and am unclear if this is one size fits all. After all the recent discussions and camping in some rain I am closer to pulling the trigger on one of these.

billy bee

Adventurer
I re-read this and am unclear if this is one size fits all.

Yes, they are all one size.

We have had buyers who prefer a loose fit. Mine fits quite snuggly. It is a little harder to get on, but it works fine. SLO Sail is now shipping these with some straps, I think, to tighten the fly around the FP lid and anchor the fly to the rear bumper (or a tree or whatever).

bb

newmexflippacker

wow Billy! I had been off this site for two years...not sure why. I am the guy that bought the prototype rainfly from you two years back...glad to see the SLO rainfly is complete and for sale...seems exactly the same in design as mine, with the exception of the clear window options......

ozy129

Hey is this the silver color they sell? I'm trying to decide between this color and charcoal.

Another Happy Camper, Thanks SLO Sail & Canvas. I ordered online and paid with Paypal, Found it on the front porch 12 days later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78