gtrv style homebuilt van

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
winch installed...

100_2876.jpg

rear box outside finnished...decided to paint it like a chunk of rock (due to the crappy previous paint job)

100_2878.jpg

the rectangle was brought to my attention...its a piece of polished stainless steel...it does look like dam ducktape...crap....

Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Excellent progress.

How many welding hours into that front bumper? How many total including cutting etc.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Excellent progress.

How many welding hours into that front bumper? How many total including cutting etc.

the front and rear intial build (old front)...was 7hrs total..(not too many breaks...but the thinner old outer metal on the front took FOREVER to weld..)...

if I was to do it with the new front design...probably 5 1/2hrs total cuttin with plasma and decent wirefed mig/gas welder...

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
sorry for no updates...we've been kinda snowed in...(all the way up to the DOORS on the van!!...bout 2ft deep)

so I got it in the other day....and started looking at the bed...

thougth about turning it sideways for more of a camper feel...

after some drawing and thinking Im gonna leave it in the mostly stock location..but i plan on building my own setup for the couch base and probably new cushions...

so after fiddling with my other truck...and picking up some WRONG parts..and a new fridge for the garage...I got her inside...

to mount cupholders..:laughing:
(and measure for the bed/couch..get some stuff on the rear storage measured out..and got pictures of the awning brackets/mounts someone wanted..)

tommorow will probably be some work on the backend and in the storage locker..

pix...
100_3073.jpg

open
100_3072.jpg

brackets are on their way to see a grinder and a paint can... :)
100_3069.jpg

100_3071.jpg

brackets/channel and awning channel..
100_3070.jpg

helper
100_3074.jpg

robert

Expedition Leader
Cool. You need to get a fairlead for that winch cable though; you should be able to find a roller fairlead pretty easy as more folks swap to synthetic lines.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Cool. You need to get a fairlead for that winch cable though; you should be able to find a roller fairlead pretty easy as more folks swap to synthetic lines.

Im goin synthetic and a delrin (plastic) farilead...just gotta have the $$ (current cable is damaged in a few places)

Ive never had a fairlead that didnt seize up and damage the cables..prolly that ohio mud muckes them up!

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
well...there WAS 2 full sheets of 3/4 birch plywood in my garage...

now theres just a pile of cut boards....:sombrero:

gotta get the jigsaw from the shop tommorow...stay posted for pix..its gonna be sweet!!!!

EDIT...teaser pix....more tommorow (hopefully...darn kids are so NEEDY as infants!)

yea I know...I need to clean my workbench off...the green case is hydraulic steering theory and how toos..and other racing rules...the antler is what the dog found the other day..the dinosaur is a puppet that we got a bunch of and works perfectly to keep crud outta yer pop-cans..and the foam chunk is from the kiddos scooter...the veg oil is for the van..

100_3105.jpg

grey prints...not as exact as blueprints..those are secret!! (and just a list..the real prints are in my head)
100_3107.jpg

100_3108.jpg

Last edited:

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
a late night...a TON of sawdust...and some tunes...

still needs the 12volt sockets...lights inside the lid and outside the back...
gonna use some of that speakerbox material to cover it...
plan on some inside shots later tommorow if I get time...
oh..and the 12in subwoofers will get built inside..that way Im no longer pullin them AND the seat out when I haul long loads..

Wadya think?

100_3111.jpg

100_3118.jpg

100_3117.jpg

100_3115.jpg

100_3112.jpg

my LOVELY model..."you know its almost midnight right?"
100_3119.jpg

100_3120.jpg

100_3122.jpg

100_3123.jpg

partsflyin

Adventurer
I am trying to come up with a plan for something similiar. Is 4' the overall length? Just wondering if that would be long enough to sleep comfortably?

I am thinking of doing two benches , one on either side, that would pull together to make the full width a sleeping area.
Anyways.. looks good man!

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I am trying to come up with a plan for something similiar. Is 4' the overall length? Just wondering if that would be long enough to sleep comfortably?

I am thinking of doing two benches , one on either side, that would pull together to make the full width a sleeping area.
Anyways.. looks good man!

its 4ft'6...and the section at the end between the frame and the door will be overtop of the 12vt fridge thats 20in tall x18 wide (padding will be 2in thick on this part)...so it will be 6ft overall..(perfect fer sleepin!!)..

TODAYS UPDATE!!
alrighty folks...heres the rest of the planned storage lockers...still have a TON of room on the driveside behind the back driver capt chair (about 3ft!)

the cabinets are 2ft tall..18in wide..and around 12in deep...the backs were cut out to use the wasted space behind them (4in deep)..DANG just noticed I forgot to pull the stock speaker frame...its gonna come out during final install..

I've listened to everybody say they dont have enough storage..so with the bed frame (4x18tallx30 deep-with extra 4in behind the stock trim)..

the grey cabinets give 6cuft for the pair..(guess-timating for wheel and filler humps...)

bed is 14cuft (again removing wheel-hump)...

with the bed slid in theres a 2ft isle..with it out its about 8in..

I decided to load stuff I know we will regularly haul into the bed storage...
inside includes...
big toolbag(bout the size of 2 standard toolboxes stacked.)
2 gal jugs..water and oil
hydraulic floor jack
jumper cables in bag
2 kids folding chairs
1 kids folding nest chair
1 adult folding chair
15ft coil airhose..
and theres enough room left over that we figure all our bedding and most all of our cloths will fit in there...

the fridge will go where the milk crate is (between bed and back door)..so the cabinets will probably be food and games..and whatever else we start carrying with us..

UPON reading all what I posted...I guess I forgot to discribe the sleeping area....

the 12 volt fridge will go between the bed and the back doors...its 20in tall so the foam will have a 2in thickness overtop that area (18 wide)..thats the end for your feet...the entire platform area is 4ft 6in long..46in wide..with the section over the fridge and a little slide platform that will support the section that the fridge isnt under it makes the entire bed 6ft long and just shy of 4ft wide..3in shorter but 10in wider than a standard twin bed..

I had been concerned about the beds width (due to MY width) being too much in the back..I wasnt sure how much actual space there would be for hauling the 55gal drums of WVO when its collecting time....but with everything mocked in place I see I could build the slide so that its a 60in wide bed...making it a queensized width just 6ft long..(which may happen just have to make a 3rd cushion to fill it)..

100_3138.jpg

100_3139.jpg

100_3143.jpg

100_3145.jpg

100_3147.jpg

100_3151.jpg

100_3152.jpg

100_3153.jpg

100_3155.jpg

100_3156.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics