GX470 CV boot ripped. What to do?

chowwwww

Observer
Hello.

So I have a gx470 that has a torn driver side cv boot. Was debating between going the easy cheap root and just buying another axle at autozone or if I should keep the stock oem axle and reboot it? The axle is still quiet and feels smooth. Anyone know what kind of diff fluid I should use for the front and how many quarts? LSD additive required? Also, scared to buy Lexus parts cause it may cost more. Are the 4th gen t4r the same axles? Any info would help.

seanpistol

Explorer
The OEM axle is higher quality. Replace the boot with a 930 boot from Kartek. Look in your manual to find out what type of fluid to use and how much it takes...

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Boot kits are available OE and include the needed quantity of grease in convenient packets. Same as similar generation 4Runner/FJC, ~$45 retail at Toyota per side, clamps included. Easy fix, re-boot the OE imo unless you intend to every carry a spare.

chowwwww

Observer
Boot kits are available OE and include the needed quantity of grease in convenient packets. Same as similar generation 4Runner/FJC, ~$45 retail at Toyota per side, clamps included. Easy fix, re-boot the OE imo unless you intend to every carry a spare.

Thanks. Yea I've done a reboot before but just wanted to make sure i could just order the 4Runner boots. Just wanted to see others opinions. Guess I'll reboot.

chowwwww

Observer
So seems like the drain plug is really on there and I can't get it off. Also wasn't able to remove the driver side axle. Is the process different than a Tacoma or 4Runner? I jacked up the car, removed wheels, 2 lower 19mm bolts on LBJ, took off axle nut. I left the tie rod on but was still able to get the axle off the rotor side. But it's stuck on the diff side. Was using a pry bar to pry it off but no luck. Am I missing a step?

daPitbull

Adventurer
Just did the swap yesterday. Sounds like axel should come out. You'll definitely want to remove the tie rod, makes it easier to remove and get the new axel in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger